• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV/LMTV Steering Play Solved

f8617

FWIW -- I finally discovered and solved my M1078's excessive steering play...perhaps this post will be useful to others.

Problem: Drag link tie rod end wear (NSN 2530-01-462-0755, pn 12877-KL, ZF Lemforder mfg).

Removal tool: pickup truck pitman arm tool (see pix)

IMG_2486.jpgIMG_2487.jpgIMG_2488.jpg

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice find. I'll have to check mine. I did a tow-in alignment over the weekend that helped a bunch too. The steering wheel is even straight when driving straight now!

f8617

This part is easily found on the internet, but please confirm this NSN & PN via TMs for your vehicle. Cost should be less than the gov't paid.

f8617

...what kind of play are you feeling when driving?
Symptoms: The steering play on my was ~3inches on the steering wheel diameter...it was scary to drive, especially on narrow roads.
Failed Fixes: It was difficult (for me) to find the source of steering play. I tried tightening wheel bearings, adjusting the steering gear sectors, and toe in.
Diagnosis method: With the cab lifted, I could turn the steering gear box input by hand and noticed some take-up/slack movement in the tie rod end (btw its non-greaseable).

f8617

Additional info., on M1078 steering.

M1078 steering drag-link assembly: PN 12650 REV C
M1078 steering gear box: ZF-Servocom Model 8098, NSN 2530-01-555-4681, PN 8098-955-146

Givinup

What amount of steering play is normal? I have about 3 inches of play, but I just assumed that's the normal amount for a vehicle of this size, tires, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

This part is easily found on the internet, but please confirm this NSN & PN via TMs for your vehicle. Cost should be less than the gov't paid.
Auction site or ? I'm not finding this part searching the net.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I wonder why it wore out so quickly. I guess big tires makes for high forces. Could it possibly been because if alignment or drive shafts?
Parts can wear out over time. 30k is a lot of miles for a military truck. Especially dealing with the roads in this country. They don't like em well enough. They really start to eat the outside edges of the MVT tires up.

Givinup

Can a few other fmtv owners list the amount if 'wiggle' in their steering wheel. Both sitting on flat surface at idle, as well as at 35mph and 55mph?

Trying to determine if the wiggle I have is an issue or normal. I don't ever expect it to handle or respond like a regular vehicle, just want to be proactive in a solution.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BEASTMASTER

I've got a good 4 -5 inches of play on my 5-ton . was really tough getting used to it when I was plowing, took out 18 mailboxes the 1st snowstorm. just had to adapt and plan to which way it was going to drift and plan accordingly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks