• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrading a M998

04mustang

So I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading the drive line of my M998. What I have really been considering is if it good to just update the drive line to the 4l80e or jump in full blast and convert it over to a A2 series.

I realize that if you go to an A2 from a A0 truck that its far more than just a transmission updating. Its cross members, driveshafts, hubs, halfshafts, etc.
Is that something that is worth going that far to do? or would it be best to stop at the components needed to make a 4l80e work? Because according to what I'm reading in the parts manual that even the frame rails are different from the A0/A1 to A2.
What are peoples thoughts on this? If I didn't go completely over to A2 standards would it then be viewed as butchering up a otherwise clean A0 truck?

Just looking for thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Corey

04mustang

That was my initial thoughts, but with a starting price of 20k that's a big pill to swallow. I would love one. I just don't have that kind of money to spend at once. Over time, perhaps.

dilvoy

Yup, there have been all sorts of upgrades to the Humvee over the years, but the original vehicle was plenty heavy duty. The upgrades took care of weak points so they should be looked at and as a matter of fact, the early parts are almost impossible to find so you pretty much have to use the upgrade parts. Good things to upgrade would be to go to the first upgrade halfshafts. They are what was used on the Hummers when they came out and on all models except for the 12K models and the Alpha. They are a direct bolt in. Ball joints are another worthy upgrade as well as the later type of upper control arms that surround the ball joint in that area. The parking brakes on the rear calipers is much better and stronger than the driveline parking brake. There was a steering upgrade on the A1's that included slightly larger idler and pitman arms as well as the center link. Your Humvee may have had these installed already. The rest of the vehicle is pretty trouble free when in good condition, as far as items that will leave you at the side of the road or trail go, but there were plenty of upgrades like the steering column, parking brake lever with lock button, mirrors and on and on and on. The trans is a good upgrade and you can use the 6.2 without changing out the entire main body wire harness, buy using a trans controller like what TCI makes if you either change the timing chain/sprockets to the type used on the 6.5 and timing cover so the rpm sensor can be installed or you can get an rpm sensor that is installed through the bell housing that reads the number of teeth on the flywheel. Big money for an A2 is much easier, but it is still an old truck that may need work or you can add onto what you already have little by little. Both are OK.

linhster

Added a GEP 6.5NA and 4L80e to my m998 and it's a whole new game. Liked the fact I put some sweat equity into it and I know that I worked on it to make it what it is now. Maybe it's just me, but there are no monetary value that can express the accomplishment of doing it yourself. I think that's why we get a humvee instead of a hummer.

Action

Added a GEP 6.5NA and 4L80e to my m998 and it's a whole new game. Liked the fact I put some sweat equity into it and I know that I worked on it to make it what it is now. Maybe it's just me, but there are no monetary value that can express the accomplishment of doing it yourself. I think that's why we get a humvee instead of a hummer.
I just got confused about your last sentence. Why do we get a Humvee instead of a Hummer? They are pretty much the same thing.

linhster

I just got confused about your last sentence. Why do we get a Humvee instead of a Hummer? They are pretty much the same thing.
I know that the chassis and engine are the same but they are different in so many ways. The humvee (HMMWV) is very basic where as the hummer is the more refined for civilians. And because it's basic, you can customize it to your liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

I know that the chassis and engine are the same but they are different in so many ways. The humvee (HMMWV) is very basic where as the hummer is the more refined for civilians. And because it's basic, you can customize it to your liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, OK. Your post read like you prefer the humvee, because you can work on it (sweat equity). The customizing angle makes sense.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks