• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My item is in a secret location! NOT HAPPY

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The item I want is in a secret location! NOT HAPPY

I am really pissed at GovPlanet.

There is a trailer I want; the item description lists it as being in Lathrop, CA.

I called GP and said I want the address, because I want to know if it's at a private storage yard where I would have to pay a fee for a tow truck to pull it out of the yard. The GP guy on the phone told me he can't give me the address; only AFTER I bid on, win, and pay for the item.

WTH??

How can I bid on something if I don't know what it is going to cost me?! How about calculating shipping?!

So I called DLA, and the lady there said she needs the PCN number to tell me where the trailer is.

I call GP back, they won't give me the PCN. I say, give me a supervisor, and I get voicemail (at about 1:30 p.m. Central Time). No call back to my polite message.

I called DLA back (Tracy, CA), and they tell me the Lathrop facility was closed about a year-and-a-half ago; it's unmanned.

I called GP again, and the guy now tells me that it's located at a military facility, Travis.

Travis AFB???

I called GP one more time and ask for the POC for Lathrop and the lady tells me they can't give out that info until after I have won and paid for the item.

THIS IS B.S.!

OK, they want to somehow prevent cheating, but this is a screwing and still no reason to at least state whether or not the item is at a private storage or at a military installation.

GovPlanet is WAY worse than GovLiq in Fontana OR Barstow was!!

-Ken J

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, fwiw, not all the lots are off base and have some crazy pickup shenanigans. The one near me is private and you pull up and grab your item. The locations aren't made public, because security.

Honestly, instead of skipping to the end game of "Give me an address!" I'd start with asking what fees come with recovery. If the answer is none for a tow truck, get the CS reps name and make a note of the call and time.

From what jwade has said, gp doesn't take a positive view of lot owners who play pickup money games.

It sounds like you're mad they're not mitigating your concern of extra pickup fees in the way you want (tell you the address). Instead, make it their problem to state and back fee disclosure, and let them make you happy or not.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the title of the thread it says it's your item. Sounds like it's still their item. If you are not happy dealing with them then don't.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am confused.... There are "Additonal" undisclosed fees for item pick up? Sounds like a scam to me...
I would... extrapolate... that he is referring to the additional costs that would be incurred by a tow truck/shipper/hauler going through the gate, having to get screened by security, etc... that would add costs to the overall transportation bill.

However, I reserve the right to be wrong and the OP should really explain what he/she means.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
I am really pissed at GovPlanet.

There is a trailer I want; the item description lists it as being in Lathrop, CA.

I called GP and said I want the address, because I want to know if it's at a private storage yard where I would have to pay a fee for a tow truck to pull it out of the yard. The GP guy on the phone told me he can't give me the address; only AFTER I bid on, win, and pay for the item.

WTH??

How can I bid on something if I don't know what it is going to cost me?! How about calculating shipping?!

So I called DLA, and the lady there said she needs the PCN number to tell me where the trailer is.

I call GP back, they won't give me the PCN. I say, give me a supervisor, and I get voicemail (at about 1:30 p.m. Central Time). No call back to my polite message.

I called DLA back (Tracy, CA), and they tell me the Lathrop facility was closed about a year-and-a-half ago; it's unmanned.

I called GP again, and the guy now tells me that it's located at a military facility, Travis.

Travis AFB???

I called GP one more time and ask for the POC for Lathrop and the lady tells me they can't give out that info until after I have won and paid for the item.

THIS IS B.S.!

OK, they don't want to somehow allow cheating, but this is a screwing and still no reason to at least state whether or not the item is at a private storage or at a military installation.

GovPlanet is WAY worse than GovLiq in Fontana OR Barstow!!

-Ken J
The items are listed with the zip code of where you are located. Every shipper I deal with quotes by zip code you should be able to get a fairly accurate quote from a reputable company with only a zip code. Unfortunately we have had many people before they win or pay for an item try to falsify documents and pickup items. We have to protect our selves from that. Which is why we also require people to fill out forms if they want to manually inspect items instead of going off our inspection reports. If you give me an item number I have no problem telling you whether or not it is on base or a storage yard but I won't tell you exactly where it is.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
I am confused.... There are "Additonal" undisclosed fees for item pick up? Sounds like a scam to me...
A scam? So we make it very clear there is no loading assistance on site so be prepared. Some of our storage sites are private companies that have capabilities to help load but they have to stop what they are doing and will charge you for their assistance you don't pay us you pay them. We have many locations that our own employees man and we gladly help with out charging.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry if I wasn't clear:
I'm pissed because I asked for a basic piece of information: where is this item? I got no clear answer. The GovPlanet people couldn't even verify which city the item is in, nor would they tell me what kind of property it is stored at (I think that is clear in my OP).

As to "don't deal with them" I think that's the bs way to deal with this. GovPlanet makes a butt-ton of profit off of our tax-purchased government hardware; clear, helpful customer service is our right! They don't improve if they don't get any heat or if no one communicates problems.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A scam? So we make it very clear there is no loading assistance on site so be prepared. Some of our storage sites are private companies that have capabilities to help load but they have to stop what they are doing and will charge you for their assistance you don't pay us you pay them. We have many locations that our own employees man and we gladly help with out charging.
There have been some __stories__, which you have done a good job responding to, that my memory of is that some of those private companies have tried "Hey, sure we got your item. In our lot. No you can't drive into our lot, it's secured. (or) We've got the item so boxed in you'll never get it out. But we'll happily pull the item to the edge of our lot for a small fee."

While I may be horribly mis-representing those stories, I think that type of shenanigans is what the OP is worried about.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly. And I doubt they are just stories; I read about a few.

I have PM'd Jwade.
Personally, getting an assurance that if you show up ready to haul you'll be able to get to the item and remove it with no need to hire "assistance" unless you need it would be more valuable than knowing exactly where the item is.

My method at figuring out costs:
1) What zip is the item in?
2) On or off military base?
3) What assistance is mentioned as being available? Take screenshot.

That should be enough to work up costs.

I can understand their point in now wanting to hand out addresses to people who don't need them. Especially for off base. "Hey, there's a bunch of mil surp stuff that has no key required starting, generators, and trailers out at the storage yard by the grain elevator" or some such. There's a reason companies with cranes tend to lift their generators in the air at night. It's sad, but the theft potential seems pretty high. (Not to mention what parts thieves can pull)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As to "don't deal with them" I think that's the bs way to deal with this. GovPlanet makes a butt-ton of profit off of our tax-purchased government hardware; clear, helpful customer service is our right! They don't improve if they don't get any heat or if no one communicates problems.
Please show me where clear helpful customer service is a right! Anyone who thinks this is a right has, to quote you, a "BS" expectation of free market sales.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Sorry if I wasn't clear:
I'm pissed because I asked for a basic piece of information: where is this item? I got no clear answer. The GovPlanet people couldn't even verify which city the item is in, nor would they tell me what kind of property it is stored at (I think that is clear in my OP).

Every piece is listed with a zip code of where it is located so I am not understanding why you say you have no clear answer?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every piece is listed with a zip code of where it is located so I am not understanding why you say you have no clear answer?
JWade I am throwing the BS flag. I bought this trailer because of where it was listed and it was an easy pick up. It was ACTUALLY about 125 miles away and cost me several hundred dollars to recover. Who is going to pay me now for those very unexpected costs as even the zip code listed was Columbia SC??
IMG_0143.jpg

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
JWade I am throwing the BS flag. I bought this trailer because of where it was listed and it was an easy pick up. It was ACTUALLY about 125 miles away and cost me several hundred dollars to recover. Who is going to pay me now for those very unexpected costs as even the zip code listed was Columbia SC??
View attachment 652409
Mistakes happen in any business... How about this send me a bill that you paid highlighting the overages and I'll put my money where my mouth is. I am confident that 95% of items that sell are where they are listed. If not it is because our employee on the ground did not do his job. My email is jdoane@ironplanet.com to send me proof too.

Mistakes happen in any business... How about this send me a bill that you paid highlighting the overages and I'll put my money where my mouth is. I am confident that 95% of items that sell are where they are listed. If not it is because our employee on the ground did not do his job. My email is jdoane@ironplanet.com to send me proof too.
I don't even participate in this portion of the military vehicle game, but that is OUTSTANDING - right there! :goodjob:

jeffy777

Sorry if I wasn't clear:

I recently bought a M998 Humvee from GovPlanet. They are not perfect. The process is somewhat flawed. But they have been pretty friendly and accommodating to me. Their web site is not perfect but it seems good enough. I have never seen a product on their website where I cannot decipher the city. As for its final location at pickup time I do know if they know for sure until it is sold and clears any government restrictions. Not all of the issues with Gov Planet is truly theirs from my understanding. The property (as I understand it) is the governments until it is cleared for you to buy and you buy it. The government may move material for its own purposes if they desire, therefore they do not know the exact yard may be an issue. Now that being said it is not that troublesome. If you want the trailer and it is a good deal for you I am fairly sure they will work with you as they did with me to help you get what you purchased. If you put the item number out that you are looking at ... I might be able to help you and I don't have any affiliation with them.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Now if that's not a man/manager trying to do good business it just don't exist!!:beer:

Almost makes me want to buy something!! (If I had any room for stuff)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks