• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

License plate frame with LED lights...use on LMTV

sjohn116

there is a military guy that makes 12/24volt LED license plate frame, just plug in series with your tail-lights, and youre good to go... $31... you can find it in the vendor section if interested...

My question to you is "has anyone installed this on their LMTV, and what are/were your thoughts/opinions."

12v tail lights for LMTV, correct? Just confirming.

(I AM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THE VENDOR)

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one for my M1090 FMTV. The lights fell apart before getting it out of the package. I planned to fix them eventually, but never got around to it. Worked OK as a license plate frame, but there are a lot cheaper options that work better if you are willing to do some wiring.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the actual license plate, I am using rare earth magnets from old computer hard drives and the license plate held to those with a couple small machine screws and a couple zip ties. It sounds cheesy but it holds the plate very solidly and hasn't moved in two years. I put the license plate on the driver's side in between the bottom of the bed rail and the top of the taillight frame. Fits right in there. It would be easy to make mounting tabs if you wanted to drill a few holes.

For lighting there is an unused connector on the wiring harness near the brake light. Cut a lead off of an old headlight if you have one, and use that male pigtail to mate up to this unused connector. Now you can use whatever light you want.

LMTV_LicensePlate.jpg

buffalorunner

Another Option for mounting

I ended up mounting my plate directly to the left rear wheel well guard (with bolts that were about 100x overkill), and found a LED plate light on Amazon that had great reviews and wired it in to the extra plug associated with the left rear brake light/turn signal so it comes on when the running lights are turned on. So far has worked excellent.
20160606_135056.jpg20160616_193612.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up mounting my plate directly to the left rear wheel well guard (with bolts that were about 100x overkill), and found a LED plate light on Amazon that had great reviews and wired it in to the extra plug associated with the left rear brake light/turn signal so it comes on when the running lights are turned on. So far has worked excellent.
Same place I have mine but I'm not required to have a plate light so just had to drill the license holes larger and bolt it on.

sjohn116

Thats exactly where I was planning on mounting the license plate. Did you have to open the wire loom to find the unused circuit (going to nothing), or did it terminate outside of the loom? Its dark here, so my curiosity can't wait until the morning.

buffalorunner

Your experience may vary, but I found mine without having to open the rear "loom". It was zip tied and doubled over behind the turn signal. Probably wouldn't have found it right away if I had not un-bolted the light when I re painted the bumper. When I first found it, I spent 10 min trying to find what it was supposed to be plugged in to before I realized it was extra, and probably pertained to a different model truck haha.
20160606_145510.jpg
NY also requires a front plate, so I mounted it to the fiberglass grill insert for now opposing the bridge plate.20160603_170547.jpg

Last edited:

sjohn116

MD required two plates, both of which they will issue to me, but only one will be displayed on the rear driver's side mud flap brace. Might as well give them 1 more reason on top of 800 already existing reasons to get pulled over. Local LEO are good.

sjohn116

Mounted mine yesterday using the same location at Oxy...found my extra lead on the passenger side, wiring harness, didnt find anything on the driver side despite my best efforts. One 90 degree angle bracket from the box store, drill a few holes, and it is robust enough that it looks like it belongs on the truck. Mounted a 6xLED light on the frame rail, lights up the plate from the left, center outward...will get a picture in a bit. I forgot how much I hate drilling through thick steel.

SausageGuy

I saw someone on here that had the plate mounted on the back of the fender then had a blackout light mounted to the back of the bumper pointing at it. I thought it was genius.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks