• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

134 L-head differences

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my M38 needs a motor. It has a GPW motor currently in it. As far as a long block, what are the differences between MB/GPW, CJ2A, and M38 engines? I know of the timing chain/timing gear changes; what else is there. All I have found are CJ2A engines.....

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M38 originally used the Go-Devil 60 HP engine but do to weight issues they upgraded it to a Hurricane 72 HP engine.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To my knowledge the Hurricane was never put in the M38 only the M38A1.

68t

The Mb, gpw , m38 and cj2 had the flat head engine. The m38a1 had the over head valves, If you use a overhead, you will had to cut a hole in the hood.. Use the flat head engine for your m38.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Mb, gpw , m38 and cj2 had the flat head engine. The m38a1 had the over head valves, If you use a overhead, you will had to cut a hole in the hood.. Use the flat head engine for your m38.
Right, but what are the differences in the flat head variations?

68t

Well , there is not a lot of difference. You know about the timing chain and the cj is gears, But to me I like the cj2 better than the ww2 engine, I think they were build better, I know folks who has the cj in there ww2 jeep and they having less problem. I,m working on a m38a1, but will use the cj f head and 12 volt system. I got 4 cj flat heads engine . I don,t know about the m38 engine, never had one. I would sell the gpw engine , use that money for a later cj engine or m38. Also try g503 they know there jeeps. Try to find engine local , shipping nowday is out of sight. I got 3 halftracks, a ww2 5 ton tractor and jeeps and cckw ,:D too much junk

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well , there is not a lot of difference. You know about the timing chain and the cj is gears, But to me I like the cj2 better than the ww2 engine, I think they were build better, I know folks who has the cj in there ww2 jeep and they having less problem. I,m working on a m38a1, but will use the cj f head and 12 volt system. I got 4 cj flat heads engine . I don,t know about the m38 engine, never had one. I would sell the gpw engine , use that money for a later cj engine or m38. Also try g503 they know there jeeps. Try to find engine local , shipping nowday is out of sight. I got 3 halftracks, a ww2 5 ton tractor and jeeps and cckw ,:D too much junk
My GPW engine is junk. I know of a CJ motor in Denver, I just want to make sure all the accessories and the engine will bolt in with no problem if I were to get it.

68t

Your m38 should have the T90 tran, so it should bolt up, but some have flywheel and starter problems, like the number of teeth on flywheel and starter, who know some one may have modified your m38. You need to go on g503 and ask if anyone has made the change over on the m38. and hopefully some one on here my have done a change. I don,t think you will have any big problems. I would say go , but check all out first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks