• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has mounted Vic -1 systems in their hmmwv?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting ready to install a vic one system AM1780 and 4 Com boxes. I'm thinking, I'm going to drill holes for the boxes in the B pillar for the driver and passenger and use nutzerts and bolts; the C pillar isn't as big so should I use or make some type of bracket or are there special brackets to mount them all? I can't find the tray for the AM1780 to mount, I have to fab something up. I'll also be mounting a 24V am/fm radio and hopefully use external input on the AM1780. Thinking I'll make some bracket connecting the a pillar to the next bow for that. Anyone have any pics or ideas for any of this? I have a 524 and 442 mounted on the radio tray right now, but no special tray for the AM1780.

Last edited:

parklandtrans

Fellow SS,
I am in the same exact boat as you, installing 4 place Vic-1 system in my HMMWV. I have all of the hardware with the exception of the mount bracket for the AM1780 as well. So maybe we can take this journey on together..lol..!!
i will be using mount trays for my RT524 and R442 and so far have been unable to find the actual mount tray/plate to attach the AM1780...so I am thinking of taking a stock lower shelf and flipping over and modify just enough to attach at both legs and then adjust to correct angle. There are a few different style lower shelves, so play around with each and pick the best one.( there really cheap on Evilbay and a can of paint works wonders..!!)
Installing a complete system such as Racing Radios would be so much cheaper and easier but I don't think that's why we're doing what we're doing. I personally am trying to make mine look like it did when our brave service men and women were using them...authentic as possible ..!!!
The method of mounting the crew boxes in the rear is the way I plan on installing mine as well. I'm sure as things progress on thing s will be changed or modified...I will keep you abreast of running changes and please do same for me.
I am in need of the cables for connecting crew boxes together. Looking for (1) cable for connection of the (2) rear crew boxes, (1) cable from rear crew box to AM1780. ( I think I can go this route rather then using (1) cable for each crew box to AM 1780 in rear location) lastly (2) cables from front crew boxes to AM1780. Already have all power cables, TM's, period correct headsets and hand mic's etc etc. Please let me know if you need any items to complete your project as well and let's also include photos of installation.
Bob (Parkland trans)

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fellow SS,
I am in the same exact boat as you, installing 4 place Vic-1 system in my HMMWV. I have all of the hardware with the exception of the mount bracket for the AM1780 as well. So maybe we can take this journey on together..lol..!!
i will be using mount trays for my RT524 and R442 and so far have been unable to find the actual mount tray/plate to attach the AM1780...so I am thinking of taking a stock lower shelf and flipping over and modify just enough to attach at both legs and then adjust to correct angle. There are a few different style lower shelves, so play around with each and pick the best one.( there really cheap on Evilbay and a can of paint works wonders..!!)
Installing a complete system such as Racing Radios would be so much cheaper and easier but I don't think that's why we're doing what we're doing. I personally am trying to make mine look like it did when our brave service men and women were using them...authentic as possible ..!!!
The method of mounting the crew boxes in the rear is the way I plan on installing mine as well. I'm sure as things progress on thing s will be changed or modified...I will keep you abreast of running changes and please do same for me.
I am in need of the cables for connecting crew boxes together. Looking for (1) cable for connection of the (2) rear crew boxes, (1) cable from rear crew box to AM1780. ( I think I can go this route rather then using (1) cable for each crew box to AM 1780 in rear location) lastly (2) cables from front crew boxes to AM1780. Already have all power cables, TM's, period correct headsets and hand mic's etc etc. Please let me know if you need any items to complete your project as well and let's also include photos of installation.
Bob (Parkland trans)
Sounds good Bob wilco! I'm going to cable mine all in serial, I'll use a 17' cable to the first box on the b pillar run right along the drivers seat on the right, then behind the seat and up the verticle along the pillar so the boxes on the B pillar will be about 2ft apart equally in the center(or about depending exactly on the 2ft cables I have), then 2 ft cable to the next box on the b pillar, then I think 7 or 8 ft to the first box on the c pillar and another 2 foot to the 4th box. I've tested it all hooked up, working fine at all stations... Anybody know how many boxes can be cabled together on the same 1780 connection? Oh and I have a LS-671 hooked up to the AM1780 with a cx-13292 cable which I'll put up on the windshield frame at the top I think. Yeah my trays look brand new with a coating of carc substitute. I have two H161 A/U headsets for the front two boxes, H161 headphones and M80 mikes for the back two boxes. What head sets are you using for yours Bob? And what brackets are you using for the boxes or are you doing the nutzerts on all four stations?
Thanks, Bob

Attachments

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some new 13 ft cables.
I have lots of small com boxes, and a 1780 or two.

parklandtrans

Everybody,
ALL of yours guys setups look awesome..!!! Acesecaus, Radio stack and intercom set up looks great and that is what my end result should look like. From the one picture it looks like you mounted the rear crew boxes on the C-Pillar..?? I was planning on mounting mine in the same location as Patriot of many, on the B-Pillar. Seems like a little more solid mount surface ..? I have mocked my whole entire set up with re-useable wire ties with the rear crew boxes evenly spaced on B-Pillar from center out...so as not to obstruct view for driver but also far enough away from front personals head. Also this way the rear people can see thru front as well. I will try to get some pics as soon as the monsoon lets up around here.
Patriot, I am using the H 161A/U headsets with the chest switch at all (4) locations and the period correct hand mic's for radios. I have not decided how I am going to perform final attachment of crew boxes to B-Pillar yet, but as stated above...I am locating in same spot as you...cable route should be same as well.
86 Humv, thanks for heads up on cables you have...I will be calling you with final number and required lengths of each..��������
Thanks to all who have chimed in here, every little bit helps me out tremendously..!!!...will try to repay back..!!
Bob

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea why the third picture where I drilled the bolt hole for the front plate keeps coming out upside down. I've saved it numerous times rotating it, changed its name uploaded three times and this site keeps posting it upside down....WHAT GIVES?

Okay finally a break in arctic temps. I picked up a front plate for vic3/vic1 mounting. I decided I want to keep the bottom tray intact so I'm attaching the front plate using one of the shock mount plate bolts on the receiver and going to drill a second hole for the opposite top hole for the front bracket. If it rattles around too much against the bottom plate, I'll rig up some brackets to attach to the bottom holes. Had to remove the transceiver and upper shock mount plate to drill the hole. Naturally I didn't use a small drill to start even with it centerpunched and ended up slightly off, but good enough to make it fit. Next up I'm going to mark the front plate for the AM 1780, remove the plate and drill holes on drill press. I bought an overhead console from those military guys where I'm going to mount an AM/FM radio and the front intercom boxes from. The rear boxes will mount on the c pillar. http://www.thosemilitaryguys.com/overhead-console-complete-for-hmmwv/

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the full size lower tray so you can still use the vic plate and have a bottom shelf with everything bolting up like designed. Looks you might have had the mid shelf not bottom shelf. Look in the classifieds as I have a pic of the set up and sell the bottom separately.

Just another option as to where to mount the crew boxes. This M1167 Tow Carrier has then mounted on top of the tunnel next to each seat position. The only crew box mounted in a high position is the one for the gunner in trucks with a turret .

m1167_tow_carrier_090_of_136.jpg

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the full size lower tray so you can still use the vic plate and have a bottom shelf with everything bolting up like designed. Looks you might have had the mid shelf not bottom shelf. Look in the classifieds as I have a pic of the set up and sell the bottom separately.
Here's a better shot of what I have. This is the mid shelf? If I used the lower shelf would this raise my upper tray/radios up further than they are now?

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, That is what I call a mid shelf. It uses the bottom bolts holes the vic bracket needs. A full size lower tray raises the mount about 2 inches because it uses its own mounting feet and that frees the bolt hole for the bracket. The top tray has the holes already drilled to accommodate being moved up and will align with the dash mount.

Attachments

parklandtrans

Mr.86hmmwv,
In this post you have indicated that you may have some cables I am in need of...CX-4723.
Please let me know what lengths you have, New or Used cables.
I have no problem with used cables as long as they are in very good shape. I have followed you for the last couple of years now and have seen first hand you produce items that people have been looking for....with absolutely no luck at all..!!..but you always seems to finds what the folks are looking for..!!!

So to Recap:

(A) Three, CX-4723 cable, 2 Ft or close to give or take a little

(B) One, CX-4723 cable, 15-18ft..give or take a little

Greg,
Thanks for the help from before and now,
Please let me know what you have in your inventory and the lengths, condition of parts (new /used) etc,etc..

Bob Huke
1-253-225-0441

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sold most vic one stuff to a guy in texas a few months ago.
I'll look around.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have the mounting plate for the vic equipment that bolts to the radio mount?
Look on eflea, they come up occasionally. I got one that was for sale with the whole shelf system, the guy Separated it for me, since I already had the shelves. You'll need the proper lower shelf and feet to mount the plate correctly. Juanprado got me the lower shelf and extra feet. I had to drill the holes in the plate for a vic1 system, The holes in the plate were apparently for the vic3 that were existing. It will sit about 2-3 inches higher than with the regular shelf.

Attachments

Jayrassic

Stirring up an old post. Looking to add a vic 1 to a humvee slantback but am curious about the mounting brackets... What to search for and where to find them. Ebay seems to be dry for such a thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks