• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual Override of Glow Plug Controller

McSpeed

Who’s army is he in?, 12 (twelve) volts.
Below approximately 100 degrees water
temp ( temperature taken at the center
of cylinder head)the glow plugs will
cycle to improve cold temp idle.
United States - currently in Germany (but working for Uncle Sam) :)

shawnshumvee

The SSI black 12469158-1 box in photo works with temp sensor 12469158-2....either the black top Nartron, or the yellow band KDS.
Only Black box that needs no sensor is the Green label KDS.[/QUOTE

Ok. You know more than I do on these pcb so I’m going to explore that sensor a bit more.
Now having said that, what does that EESS flyer i have obtained mean? The NSN listed in the letter matches the number on the box so I thought that is what I was dealing with. I do know the Internals in my pcb look nothing like pcb boxes I seen on this form and else where. My pcb is full-on Election inside even having a Micro processor/brain chip. It has no mechanical solenoid or simplified circuitry like most. On a different note, Would a bad controller also cause any charging issues? I was able to start the truck by sending 12 volts threw the 575A wire to the glows and it ran perfect. I don’t like doing that but I need to know it wasn’t something else?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that’s very Intresting to say the least, but I’m sure that trick isn’t good for the engine? Nevertheless it will come in handy when in a pinch. It reminds me of popping the clutch on a manual transmission when the starter has failed. Some times Tip & Tricks are a God sent.
Restricting the exhaust to aid starting a diesel engine isn't bad for it. It increases temperatures in the combustion chamber as a function of backpressure and initiates ignition that way.

It isn't specific for hmmwvs, but rather works for any diesel. Works for NA better than for turbo engines as turbocharged engines already have some restriction from the turbo.

shawnshumvee

Restricting the exhaust to aid starting a diesel engine isn't bad for it. It increases temperatures in the combustion chamber as a function of backpressure and initiates ignition that way.

It isn't specific for hmmwvs, but rather works for any diesel. Works for NA better than for turbo engines as turbocharged engines already have some restriction from the turbo.
I stand corrected. It just sounds unnatural. Goes to show how much I know about diesel.

springer1981

I came across this today and thought it might be useful.

IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU ALSO REPLACE GLOWPLUGS AT THE SAME TIME (GLOWPLUGS & SMART START/TSU)...IF YOU HAVE BLOWN GLOWPLUGS AND YOU INSTALL THE NEW SMART START/TSU IT WILL SENSE IF THE GLOWPLUGS ARE WORKING OR NOT - AKA YOU MAY BLAME A NEW BOX FOR NOT WORKING. YOU CAN CHECK IF THE GLOWPLUGS ARE BURNED OUT BY OHM (TIP TO GROUND WHEN INSTALLED). ZERO OHMS MEANS BURNED OUT, IDEAL 1.8 TO 3.0.)

IF YOU CONTINUALLY BLOW GLOWPLUGS OUT THAT IS YOUR BOX SENDING 24V ALL THE TIME TO THEM AFTER THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, IT WILL START GREAT 1 TIME ONLY AND THEN THE PLUGS WILL BURN OUT...IF THAT HAPPENS YOUR BOX NEEDS TO BE REPLACED OR YOUR GENERATOR NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. (ENSURE THE "AC" TAP IS FUNCTIONING AT WIRE 2A REF SERVICE MANUAL, VOLTAGE SHOULD BE BETWEEN 9-16V DC - IF VOLTAGE IS NOT PRESENT GLOWPLUG SYSTEM WILL NEVER STOP CYCLING)

THE OLDER BOXES PUT "BRAINS" IN THE BOX UNDER THE STEERING COLUMN AND THE CONTROLLER IN THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING...THE NEWER SMART START BOX PUTS ALL THE "BRAINS" IN THE BOX UNDER THE STEERING COLUMN AND SENSES TEMP ONLY AT THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING (HENSE THE DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGY). TROUBLESHOOTING IS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT, THE MANUALS ARE WRONG/INCORRECT FOR REFERENCING THE NEWER BOXES, IT ALMOST ALWAYS IS BAD GROUNDS OR ENGINE WIRING ISSUES.

shawnshumvee

I came across this today and thought it might be useful.
Going to install the ground harness today and put an ohm meter on all glow plugs and go from there. like mentioned before all systems are up and fully operation accept for the glow plugs. No power to the glow plug wires. Anyhow i added some pictures of the inside of my PCB showing all the circuitry. And just think, some one told me that the Humvee in EMP proof? Ha ha, I it don't know about that.

IMG_2621 2.jpgIMG_2622 2.jpgIMG_2623 2.jpgIMG_2624 2.jpgIMG_2625 2.jpgIMG_2626 2.jpgIMG_2627 2.jpgIMG_2633 2.jpg

Last edited:

McSpeed

So, I talked to my brother last night. He is a real life McGyver. He adds a blinker flasher (heavy duty) to the circuit with the starter solenoid so that it pulses the GPs which highly reduces them overheating.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to install the ground harness today and put an ohm meter on all glow plugs and go from there. like mentioned before all systems are up and fully operation accept for the glow plugs. No power to the glow plug wires. Anyhow i added some pictures of the inside of my PCB showing all the circuitry. And just think, some one told me that the Humvee in EMP proof? Ha ha, I it don't know about that.

View attachment 757549View attachment 757550View attachment 757551View attachment 757552View attachment 757553View attachment 757554View attachment 757555View attachment 757556
That box is a POS, fix your issues by installing an S3 EESS with its correct Temp sending unit “TSU”.

shawnshumvee

That box is a POS, fix your issues by installing an S3 EESS with its correct Temp sending unit “TSU”.
Yeah I agree. I’m looking at one on epay but man, they dont give those puppies away. I dont know if I should mortgage My home or sell my leg for that PCB. Of course I’m kidding but nearly $700 for a part? Well that’s just insane in my Opinion.

Last edited:

shawnshumvee

I don’t know jack about these PCB (learning fast) but the kds (s3) has a port in the front, what is that used for? I also noticed that they sell new glow plug weirs that are separate from the main harness on eBay. My glow plug wires are integrated into my harness. This KDs s3 box should slap right in with out any mods accept for swapping the GP controller?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I agree. I’m looking at one on epay but man, they dont give those puppies away. I dont know if I should mortgage My home or sell my leg for that PCB. Of course I’m kidding but nearly $700 for a part? Well that’s just insane in my Opinion.

I New S3 KDS boxes for $625.00 shipped

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know jack about these PCB (learning fast) but the kds (s3) has a port in the front, what is that used for? I also noticed that they sell new glow plug weirs that are separate from the main harness on eBay. My glow plug wires are integrated into my harness. This KDs s3 box should slap right in with out any mods accept for swapping the GP controller?
The ebay separate, wire harness is a relic of the 80's...dont buy it unless doing a NON oem manual system.

springer1981

This is the best price I could find.... https://www.macmotors.com/Product/HUM/KIT-SMART-START-SYSTEM-BOX-&-TSU/6500391

This one has a great description with tips. https://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/hmglplcoprco.html

springer1981

....I don’t think the one from macmotors is new?
thanks for the help.
I guess that is a possibility however it is the same "new" picture in the listing and it states he has 31 in stock. For $100-150 in savings I would probably at least make a phone call to find out.

Last edited:

shawnshumvee

I guess that is a possibility however it is the same "new" picture in the listing and it states he has 31 in stock. For $100-150 in savings I would probably at least make a phone call to find out.
ok course. But for the price difference it would better to get the new. Only God knows how much time is left on a used PCB and if it goes out 6 months from now then I would be spending more money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks