• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bigger front springs, need source for studs

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran into a snag here on the M882 plow truck
replacing the front springs with a set of 1 ton springs.
6 leafs now, at the differential there is one U bolt and a pair of studs on the other side.
These 9/16 double threaded studs are only 3" long, which is not long enough.
need at least 3-1/2" long.
Can't find anything anywhere over 3" long
82814218.jpg this is the stock one

below is from a discontinued Dorman # 675-048 listing
a0002361.jpg
A=9/16 UNF by 1-1/2
B=9/16 UNC by 1-1/4
C= 3-1/2 inch

I know the expensive lift kits have the longer studs, but have been unable to find out how to get just those studs from them.

Last edited:

nattieleather

Bob try doing a google search for Dorman #675-048 and see if anything pops up. Someone might cross reference it. Or if you have a shop near you that does leaf springs and hardware they might be able to make the stud for you.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you just use a grade 8 bolt with loc-tite?
So far I have found that a couple lift makers supply a pair of Grade 8 bolts for this function. Which is likely the way I'm going. Not the best or safest, as a single course threaded bolt can't be torqued like a stud with fine threads at the nut.

I would think you would be able to go to a bolt store like Fastenal and order what you need
the 3" long I listed above is all any fastener company makes (yes they can be special ordered, but I'd make & heat treat my own before I pay over a 100 $$$$ for a pair studs.
I just went to a local car quest and picked mine up
I need longer than the industry's 3" long ones which is all every place I've tried can get.

Give
Mid-States Bolt & Screw Co
360 S Outer Dr, Saginaw, MI 48601
Phone:
(989) 753-3492
Toll Free: (800) 324-3233

Or
Michigan Truck Spring a call
1-800-358-4751

http://www.truckspring.com/?keyword...Y7eoZo7Uuox5Iv8MBKJPITTbXEbgWxiTITxoCO3vw_wcB
Tried, Got someone, "less than bright", did you buy the kit from us? No, I want to buy the studs supplied in the kits. "You have to buy the kit", running in circles. May try again tomorrow, but I get the feeling if I get anywhere with them the price may be stupid.
edit: just tried again, no help

Most lift kits would have them, but trying to get one of the places give up info on how I can acquire them has proved challenging.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick seatch found this on summit racing the part is made by ARP ARP Individual Studs AQ3.475-1LB

Hope this helps.
Well shucks! I spent over a half hour on summit's site and couldn't find this.
(didn't even think of head studs)
Thanks, I'll be ordering them to replace the old used ones I ended up getting!

Last edited:

RQQ

Great thread for what I need. But I need the stock size studs. Do y'all have the specific part number for that and/or a supplier? And I saw that the Summit studs were cromoly which sounds better than grade 8. I lost both studs yesterday on a trip and luckily the ubolt held and the spring plate got caught on the leaf spring center bolt and I was able to get back to my trailer without problems. BTW I have this diff on a Jeep.
Thanks,
Richard

cajuncustom

Great thread for what I need. But I need the stock size studs. Do y'all have the specific part number for that and/or a supplier? And I saw that the Summit studs were cromoly which sounds better than grade 8. I lost both studs yesterday on a trip and luckily the ubolt held and the spring plate got caught on the leaf spring center bolt and I was able to get back to my trailer without problems. BTW I have this diff on a Jeep.
Thanks,
Richard
When i got mine i picked them up at a local parts store they were cut to fit bigger then stock so it worked just right

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks