• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Rock Sliders/ Rocker protection

79f250guy

Has anyone fabed up any rock sliders or rocker protection. I was doing some research and saw jack reinforcement rails which may work but was looking to see what others have done to protect their rockers and posiably protect the floor also. I know they make ones for civi h1's but kind of expensive and I'd rather fab my own. Just looking to see what others have done. Mine suffered a minor wound this past weekend wheeling and I don't want to do that again. Was for a great cause though a local Jeep club guy set up a Wheeling 4 Warriors event to raise money for Veteran Family's in need. Was an awesome event.
wound.jpgFB_IMG_1479160228548.jpg.​

Awol

I was buying some parts for my K10, and the guy was building a serious off road truck. He got step bars off a new Jeep Cherokee IIRC, and they looked like purpose built rock sliders. He had to convince me they were a factory Jeep part. They were made out of tube, and were coated in a rough hammer finish.

I haven't been able to find a set, but they look like they'd fit great on a HMMWV.

Sparo2

I've been thinking about fabbing up my own rocker/floor protectors. I was thinking about using 3/16" for the floors and 1/4" for the rockers. Just need to put some money aside for the materials.

Has as anyone on here fabbed their own?

911joeblow

I am building a set that are covers that extend 3" up the rocker sides then continue up the wheel wells an additional 12". They are then running all the way to the frame rails under the truck too. If they turn out nice I might build up a jig and make a few more sets too.

911joeblow

Just curious why you don't just find a set off a H1. Seems like a lot of work.
They are very expensive plus I prefer the natural lines of the rocker and not some tube or boxed extension. Some of the workmanship on this is very nice but just not what I want. I also dont want to make the truck any wider than it already is. A lot of the trails around where I am are already pretty narrow.

I also plan on adding S/S cable branch sliders which will connect to a custom headache bar over the windshild which will also mount lights and a rack for storage. The front will connect to the brush bar. I have a 4-door soft door/top.

79f250guy

Yeah I could think of much better things to buy with 3K. I'm hard pressed to drill holes through the Rockers but I suppose it would be better than smashing it again. How do the H1 protectors mount would I need to drill holes? I was thinking of just making Jack rails out of angle that would I believe drill throught the Rockers then 1/4" plate or 3/16" under the floor. I like the idea of tubes like the Jeep sliders but can't see how I would mount them since the Frame is tucked into the body. I'm going to do some more Thinking and possibly mock up just was going to see if anyone had any pics of what they had done.

BLK HMMWV

skid plates 001.jpgskid plates 002.jpgskid plates 003.jpg
They are very expensive plus I prefer the natural lines of the rocker and not some tube or boxed extension. Some of the workmanship on this is very nice but just not what I want. I also dont want to make the truck any wider than it already is. A lot of the trails around where I am are already pretty narrow.

I also plan on adding S/S cable branch sliders which will connect to a custom headache bar over the windshild which will also mount lights and a rack for storage. The front will connect to the brush bar. I have a 4-door soft door/top.
Ok what ever.
I'm guessing you don't know what the factory H1 skid plates looked like .
They make the truck about 3/4" wider.
They follow the contour of the body very nicely. and extend from the front wheel well to the back from the outside of the body into the frame rail.
They mount using a front and rear bracket with 3 captive nuts built into them nothing bolts through the rocker panel.

Last edited:

79f250guy

View attachment 654299View attachment 654300View attachment 654301

Ok what ever.
They follow the contour of the body very nicely. and extend from the front wheel well to the back from the outside of the body into the frame rail.
They mount using a front and rear bracket with 3 captive nuts built into them nothing bolts through the rocker panel.

Thanks for the Pics BLK HMMWV!

911joeblow

View attachment 654299View attachment 654300View attachment 654301

Ok what ever.
I was referring to the aftermarket kits out there and yes the ones I am making are very similar to the OEM H1 units pictured. They are a little taller on the sides and a lot taller in the wheel well. I am not bolting them to the rockers at all, just in the wheel wells and the frame. Also not $3K ;)

Action

The H1 parts mount with brackets under the floor. You can buy them reasonably priced used, but the people always leave the brackets on the Hummer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks