• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

xm389 trailer (1 ton trailer for m37)

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
A few years back at a forestry yard up in Maine I noticed a bare trailer frame much like an m101 but built a little heavier with the model being an xm389. After a little research I found a thread by steelandcanvas about a trailer his club had on loan to them, which had the boxes on the frame, but was missing the stabilizer jacks.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?71892-Any-Info-on-XM389

Today my brother found this one listed on craigslist in NH only a couple hours away at a used car lot. I can't believe it was listed for 8 days and no one bought such a sweet trailer (and at a pretty sweet price too!). After changing out a tire and adding some lights it towed great behind the m1009 for the 100 mile trip. It was dark by the time we got it home but I'll take some more pics of it tomorrow behind the m37.:)
IMG_3288.jpgIMG_3297.jpgIMG_3289.jpgIMG_3298.jpgIMG_3290.jpgIMG_3292.jpgIMG_3293.jpgIMG_3294.jpgIMG_3295.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else has seen one of these or has an idea of its use in service. It's a 1958 and made by Raytheon. The time period has me thinking it may be related to the Hawk missile (entered service in 1959). The m390 trailer is used with Hawk missiles too.
It looks like the rear frame rail is stamped xm5 in very small letters.
IMG_2249.jpgIMG_2251.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
This morning I was looking through a 1979 list of MVPA member owned vehicles and noticed a gentleman in El Paso, Texas had a 1957 xm389 "Hawk Missile Trailer", S/N 4.
Looking again at the dataplate on our trailer the contract number on it can be found in a 1960s Defense Appropriations Hearing document. It's a contract to Raytheon for Hawk Ground Equipment.

BC65

I found one on Craigslist a few years back for cheap. Missing parts/tires hubs&lunette bad. It was used as many things, construction, wildland Fire, Hunting, and many colors through the years. This is the color it came with. I adapted it for use as my hunting/back country trailer for our 10 day hunting trips (water, propane, batteries, etc). Put a dexter axle w/electric brakes and hubs to match my Jeep. Also put a Max Coupler for off roading/dragging over rocks with my Rubicon - works great.

0CAEF909-3E5D-4933-9323-B589E1769E50.jpg005A5A89-A5C2-4BA5-9687-FA6E35EBBC99.jpg5D32B871-2EF7-4F71-9D26-7C0AFCA338F5.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks