• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a M927 or M928 to live in...

71DeuceAK

Was thinking a little diesel Monitor/ToyoStove, though both that and a pellet require electricity, but not MUCH. Either that or electric space heaters.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My setup

Here is a picture of my 927 with a vintage HiLo. It offloads using truck camper jacks.

Attachments

71DeuceAK

VPed, there's another idea I never thought of! Maybe I'll have to consider that...though I pictured building something with square ends/corners to maximize space. How do you secure it so it doesn't move at all while driving?

Nomadic

There is something to be said for having a solid foundation to build a house :D That truck looks tougher than a bucket of nails.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you plan to do for heat? I have been toying with the idea of a wood pellet stove for heat. According to the Gov, using wood pellets vs propane is a lot cheaper. I just haven't found a stove small enough.
Small solid fuel stoves are available, but they're not cheap. They're designed primarily for yachts/boats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13yJLPAJFiM

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VPed, there's another idea I never thought of! Maybe I'll have to consider that...though I pictured building something with square ends/corners to maximize space. How do you secure it so it doesn't move at all while driving?
I built crossmembers for the trailer so I would have a place for the camper jacks to affix to. The crossmembers are exactly the width of the inside bed width so they limit side to side movement. Two turnbuckles are used to pull the front of the trailer forward and down against the head board. Two more turnbuckles at the rear of the trailer frame pull back and down but I keep those a little loose to allow some give for bed flex.

Attachments

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have also considered copying the HiLo design using the entire truck bed as the lower half and building an upper half to lower around the bed. There is plenty of space under the bed for the lift system that HiLo uses. That would utilize all of the available bed space as you desire but it eliminates the ability to remove the habitat as a livable structure without the truck.

71DeuceAK

Interesting thoughts! VPed, that's my thing, I'd like to potentially have it as a livable structure off of the truck at times..but maybe just build a platform?

The little solid-fuel stove sure seems like an interesting concept, too.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
71DeuceAk - I'm a bit concerned about how you would effectively insulate any portable dwelling against -40+ temperatures. You need walls, ceiling, and floors thick enough to provide space for the insulation. The increased size will increase weight and decrease living space.

Have you consulted with anyone in the engineering department on campus about your ideas?

71DeuceAK

Not yet. I have, however, wondered that quite a bit, still very much in the throwing ideas around phase. I guess the bed/floor would be the biggest issue, also because it's a giant steel heat sink! So far I've pictured stick-built 2X4, maybe double-walled, but like you said weight may be an issue. Maybe aluminum vs. wood, more lightweight? But then again, heat sink there. Good thought about consulting the engineering department, etc. Interior Alaska is new to me, and most house building designs seem surprisingly "normal" from what I've seen, though triple-pane windows are the norm here in new installations. The solid-fuel heater seems like a potentially good heat source, next is definitely figuring out a super-insulated building design. We don't get a whole lot of snow here actually, relatively speaking, otherwise I'd consider leaving the truck parked and shoveling snow up around the back, as an insulating barrier, people used to do it where I lived before to cure drafty houses.

Any and all ideas welcome!

Wood stove is a possibility for sure, though one of those little solid-fuel units somebody posted above might be the way to go. I've lived with wood as an only heat source before and love it, but here we also have air quality restrictions in the city proper, since we get an inversion layer and EVERYBODY burns wood stoves as it is and there's a lot of cars in a city of 35,000 people plus all its suburbs, totaling about 92,000. Fairbanks, AK (where I am) is like seventh worst city in the United States in terms of air quality. Maybe a pellet stove? Again, any and all ideas welcome!

Last edited:

Nomadic

True. It would be hard to feed while sleeping.

Below is a heater that runs on diesel with a direct current fan (choice of 12V/24V/36V). It has a water coil to heat water. Maybe radient flooring or to keep a battery pack warm. The Antarctic version has two water coils.

Fuel Consumption / 24hr:
1.29 gal LOW
3.20 gal HIGH
Heat Output:
Low: 6500 BTU
High: 16250 BTU
$830

20001F-f.jpg

red

Clever, but looks like you'd be feeding it constantly. Maybe not...I could be wrong.
Could build it as a pellet stove instead of just a wood burner. That way it will keep going.

maxresdefault.jpg

Whether you build it as a wood or pellet burner they are cheap, simple, effective. Can be built how you want.

All the wood burners I've used will go out overnight but the embers keep putting off heat and are warm enough to start a new fire in the morning. That's in Utah and further south, I've never spent time in the -F range. With a pellet setup though it's automated so not a concern about the fire going out and they burn cleaner so the EPA is happier.

For insulation there is spray foam. More expensive than other options but it does the best job.

The guy in this video made a gravity fed pellet stove, so no electricity to worry about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXEnVSq2NUs

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Interesting! Considering that fits in the bed of a Deuce I could conceivably also have space to the rear to still use as a cargo truck? Anything longer than an S280, but as wide?

I'd like to avoid propane heaters for the reasons mentioned, probably electric, realistically speaking? Or pellet/wood.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks