• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1977 M887 Front Driveshaft needed

McGuyver

I think Saturn Surplus has them. You could also use any`75 -`78(?) front drive shaft from a Dodge W100 or W200.

Elwenil

McGuyver said:
I think Saturn Surplus has them. You could also use any`75 -`78(?) front drive shaft from a Dodge W100 or W200.
As long as the W200/W250 has a D44 axle. Some had the D60 which changes the length and some years could be had with part time 4WD which got it a NP205 transfer case and that changes things also. I believe the shaft from the W100/W150 should work with no issues as long as it is indeed a fulltime model. If a new one can be had for $150, that is well worth it for a complete shaft considering the price of the double cardan joint and the slip yoke.

McGuyver

Good point on the Dana 60 axles. Forgot about that.

Starting in `74, full time four wheel drive was an option (part time was also still available that year if memory serves me correctly) but by `75, through at least `78 (maybe as long as `79, don't remember for sure) all W100's and W200's were full time fourwheel drive. That's why I was confident you could take a front drive shaft from any of them, with the qualifier (as you pointed out) that they had the Dana 44 front axle. I'm pretty sure the married part time NP 205 didn't come back until `80 or maybe `79 (again, assuming it is combined with the Dana 44). Please let me know if you have any more correct, or more complete info. Like I said, I'm pulling this from memory, and it's a little rusty. Some of the details could be a little off.

Elwenil

According to everything I have seen, '74 was the first year of fulltime 4WD as you stated. Part time with a divorced NP205 was standard. Even after fulltime became standard on all models in '75 you still could have gotten part time with the NP205 on 3/4 and 1 ton models. They are sort of rare, but I have seen a few. One '78 model in particular is a dually that was sold here new, so I know it is genuine and not swapped around.

ida34

I may be wrong, but I think only the dana 44 models were full time and the dana 60 models in the front were part time. All the 3/4 tons I have seen have had the beefed up Dana 44 for the front axle. Basically just bigger brakes and eight lug hub. The shafts and u-joint were the same in a couple I have owned.

Elwenil

No, there were fulltime D60 models. Most 3/4 tons did have the D44HD axle but a few were spec'd out with the 4500lb axle and most one tons had the D60. The fulltime D60 had drive flanges instead of lockout hubs. Here is one in the pic below with the dust cap removed that I swiped from Pirate4x4:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks