Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a M37, getting redy to paint!

Thanks

Default Picked up a M37, getting redy to paint!

Hey guys, new here, been lurking. I picked up a M37 (along with 14 other various military trucks that I don't need!) and we have a MASSIVE ice storm here, so I decided to start working on it. I am currently trying to figure out what the best way to get it ready for paint. I started using a DA on the bed and it is working out pretty good, thought I would get it smooth and then prime it. I got some Gillespie paint from Rapco and trying to decide if I want to use the 23070 semi-gloss OD or the 319 lusterless OD. I am leaning towards the 319 because I like the flatness of it. What do you guys think? Here are some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default RE: Picked up a M37, getting redy to paint!

Also, what do you guys think about the markings, any way to tell anything?

4 Star General
    Thanks

Nice truck.
    Continue to lightly sand (by hand is better than a DA) the hood sides, the underside of the hood, the tops of the fenders, around the fuel filler, the dash, the rear bumperettes (should have duplicates of the front bumper markings), and the tailgate to check for other markings. I can't make out what you have in the photos well enough to make out what you have except for a bit on the bumper that looks like an "arty"...

For an Korean era Army truck, you'd want the 23070 (heck, do a search on this site for some of David Doyle's wonderful posts on the color shift in the specification green between 24087 FS595A and FS595B that make the Gillepie 23070 closer to the original color). The Gillespie is a bit flatter to me that other paints using the same chemistry, so the 23070 may not be as glossy as you think (unless you've done some patch panels with the spray cans as they are a very good match to the material in the gallon cans...).

I personally am fond of M37's (and others) in 34052, Lusterless Forest Green (USMC Green).

It'll look good whichever green you use.

BTW: Found a collection of pages that allows you to browse through colors in the exact order they have been grouped and presented in the Federal Standard 595B Fan Deck. The page captions (given in parenthesis) are arbitrary and have been added for clarity and variences in computer monitors need to be accounted for, but it an interesting view of colors...
    http://www.colorserver.net/fandeck/

Good luck.
    Organizer, Graves Mountain Trailrides and Rally aka Virginia Rally
    '53 M37 with Cummins 4BT, '63 XM708 dump
    '68 M274A5
    '51 M38
    '70 XM813, '71M817, '70M816 (sold)
    '83 M931

www.garbee.net/~cabell
    www.ncmvpa.com
    www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com

General
    Thanks

Welcome aboard, so what are the fourteen other trucks? I like the 34072 that Garbee referred to.

Thanks

Default I Agree W/Cabel

I added a hardener as well as a drier to my recipe. Actually it came from Bill W!
    Bruce
    1953 Dodge M-37, aka Da' OD Goddess
    Issued to the Dept. Of The Navy
    January 1953
    VMVA
    Stanford Hill Farm
    Midlothian,VA

Thanks

My M-37 was painted yellow with a unidentified paint that was so hard I gave up on trying to remove it. I used a little hand held buzzer sander to level it and scuff it up. Then filled the heavy scratches and stone chips. I used Rust-Oleum 7769 Very Rusty primer and for me it worked well as it is a bit heavier and gave alot of ablity to level and cover a multitude of sins when sanded back. I used Gillespie 23070 with a HVLP and recomended acetone. One the rusted spots I used a wire brush on a high speed grinder. Be carefull using them things though and wear heavy clothes and face mask and respirator and gloves, and eye protection with ear protection, they have a tendancy to throw wire off themeselves as they wear out. I was satisfide with Gillespie as it was forgiving to runs and sags, and seemed to cover good.

Thanks

Looking good Maxim! Will we see her at a show next year?
    "The right thing at the wrong time is no longer the right thing" Grandma Mattson
    MVPA#22218
    1954 Canadian M37 W/W "Oliveoil"
    1971 M816 "Yard Whore"
    1952 Curtis Wright M44/M34 "Mo gas momma"
    1952 M42 project "money pit"
    1968 M109A2 "camper special"
    1977 M887x4 "should be scrap"
    1986 M1028x4
    1956 R2 crash truck "Argyle"
    1943 WC51
    "I don't think the United States needs super-patriots. We need patriotism honestly practiced by all of us"
    Dwight Eisenhower
    Avatar= "319" the scrounger hobbit finding parts at 2012 Findlay show.

Thanks

I used 24052 on my truck. The shine goes away a little with time.

Here is the link on my painting project.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...ng+ready+paint

I STILL BELIEVE IN THE 4th OF JULY
    "No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity."--P.J.O'Rou

Thanks

On that access door it looks like your tire pressure. Most likely T.P. 45 or close to that.

The only thing I can make out on your bumper markings is a Triangle followed by the word Arty. Triangles usually mean Armor. So it might have belonged to a artiliery battery that was part of an Armored brigade division etc. More careful sanding is needed.

Oh and your truck looks good and will look better in OD, but that top has to go....

Thanks

Default Re: RE: Picked up a M37, getting redy to paint!

Thanks for the welcome guys!! We have had a TERRIBLE ice storm here in OK, they are saying the worst ever! 500k homes were without power on Saturday and there are still like 300k WITH NO POWER. Crazy storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan
    Welcome aboard, so what are the fourteen other trucks? I like the 34072 that Garbee referred to.
    I listed them in the classifieds, check them out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast