• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 electrical system

cheesehead dave

Our volunteer fire department is getting a surplus M1078 to be used as a brush truck. We've ordered a 250 gallon slide in pump pallet for use on it. I'm wondering if the 12V system aboard the truck has enough amperage to operate a hose real and a 13 hp gas engine starter. Otherwise I'll have to install another 12 volt battery on the pump pallet. We will also be running a light bar on top and a radio in the cab.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plenty of both battery and alternator capacity for those items. Get 12 volt power for the cab mounted items from the power pad to the left of the relays on the PDP in the cab.

snowtrac nome

it should handle it, I however would install a battery close to the pump and run a charge wire. you wind up with a lot of line loss on a long run, and low voltage is a killer of those hannay reel motors which are expensive.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I would use a relay and breaker and run power right from the battery box to your application. Especially if it's in the bed area. You can run a control wire into the cab if you want control from the cab.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Suprman, the best bet especially for the starter and hose reel is to go straight to the battery. You can probably run the light bar out of the dash panel with no real issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks