• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nevada - 5 ton's license plates pulled by DMV

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...then send silverstate55 a pizza lunch for curing your headache with his extensive knowledge and efforts on the subject. Very cheap cost to rectify that type of issue.
LOL let's not count our proverbial chickens before they hatch... :mrgreen:

I've had very good luck with the NV DMV in a variety of different areas, just trying to pass along my experiences and what worked for me. The same cannot be said of others here, especially with the Ely DMV branch....

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL let's not count our proverbial chickens before they hatch... :mrgreen:

I've had very good luck with the NV DMV in a variety of different areas, just trying to pass along my experiences and what worked for me. The same cannot be said of others here, especially with the Ely DMV branch....
An XL pizza with all the trimmings!!

darkAngel

I went to my local dmv for pricing on getting a 5 ton titled. they told me that they will no longer title any miltary vehicals that they are not ment for highway use and only made for active millatary branches. i have freinds that are vets here in town thats got half tracks that they use for events and such and got fined this year for having them on road during the 4th of july event parade. to me this is bull**** that means they limiting our choices on rigs that can be used.

slothman

I went to my local dmv for pricing on getting a 5 ton titled. they told me that they will no longer title any miltary vehicals that they are not ment for highway use and only made for active millatary branches. i have freinds that are vets here in town thats got half tracks that they use for events and such and got fined this year for having them on road during the 4th of july event parade. to me this is bull**** that means they limiting our choices on rigs that can be used.
in winemucca?

darkAngel

i have yet to see any type of paper work confirming the fine of my freind waiting on a call back from my freind on the matter. but was told it was dmv that fined them and these vehicals where never supposed to be in puplic hands. and yes in winnemucca slothman.

Amer-team

One of the threads on the site. Sorry I don't remember which has a guidance letter dated 2/9/88 from the NHTSA on the issue of military trucks being road worthy. Look for it, it is worth the search. I am having a go around in WA on this same issue with a 1991 M923A2. The state patrol inspector wrote his report up in such a way that I could only get an Off Road Vehicle tab, no license plates. I took it as I wanted to get the registration started, but I had a long talk and presented this letter and the 49 US Code 30112 this talks about vehicles having to meet the Motor Vehicle codes, that sticker in the doorway of most civilian vehicles. this is why the SP turned me down, it didn't have that sticker. Under section (b) Non Application. (9) vehicles over 25 years don't have to meet this. So I am hoping between the guidance letter and the US Code, that will be enough to let it pass. Good luck.

slothman

i have yet to see any type of paper work confirming the fine of my freind waiting on a call back from my freind on the matter. but was told it was dmv that fined them and these vehicals where never supposed to be in puplic hands. and yes in winnemucca slothman.
hmm. we just re-registered one as a historic truck a month ago to avoid $500 reg fees they were trying to stick us with. reno dmv.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoever told you that is wrong. Our local MV club members had a meeting with the Assistant Director for the DMV several months ago, and she said that there is NOTHING that prohibits former MVs from being registered, as long as all of the NRS/DMV requirements are met. The only issue, as she explained, was with the titling of HMMWVs ('99 USMC auctions with full titles vs. current auctions with OR-only titles).

Ask to see the directive or memo, then contact the local DMV manager. If these vehicles were never meant to be on a highway, the Armed Forces wouldn't be using them on highways nor would they be allowed to sell them to the public. Get the denial in writing, and again ask to see the hard copy of either the DMV directive or specific wording in NRS.

Feel free to contact your state representatives as well, from the Governor's office on down. Get DMV employee names to use in a specifically-worded letter that you will send to the Governor, Lt Gov, AG, DMV Director in Carson City, as well as your state Legislators (Senator/Assemblyman).

Emphasize that you are trying to do the right thing and keep your taxes/funds for use in the state of Nevada; otherwise you will title & register it in another state while still using it on the highways of Nevada, since that is what the local DMV is forcing you to do. Since we don't have an income tax in Nevada, a large portion of registration fees/taxes are used for highway maintenance & construction.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hmm. we just re-registered one as a historic truck a month ago to avoid $500 reg fees they were trying to stick us with. reno dmv.
In 2015 the state legislature amended the Classic Vehicle/Classic Rod laws to limit the allowable vehicles to a weight-carrying capacity of one ton or less, and it is not grandfather-able. I suspect that this is the origination of the OP of this thread to begin with. So in essence, only pickups and cars are eligible for CV/CR registrations.

Your upwards of $500 for registration fees is due to these fees being based on the vehicle's weight...otherwise, if it's 14,000-lbs or less, it is subject to smog checks in Reno & Las Vegas.

In the 2019 session of the state legislature, legislation will be introduced to create a new registration program for former MVs, but it will carry some stringent requirements. But it will cover ALL former MVs that are 25 years old or older, including halftracks or any other vehicles with rubber tracks.

In 2017 NRS was created for the DMV to create a Bonded Titling process; it is still in the process of implementation but soon you will be able to place a vehicle with no title (but with a notarized Bill of Sale) into the Bonded Title process to acquire a NV title.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter

On Nevada's CDL, is there an air brake endorsement? Or is it a restriction? In Arizona, there is no air brake endorsment, only an air brake restriction. It might seem like minutiae, but I think there is an important difference in most cases.

This article says what I would say better than I could - http://illinoistruckcops.org/?p=758
I came looking for this article that I posted a link to 7 years ago, but now the link no longer works. I found another similar blog post type write up that sums up what the old link said.

I will paste the text of the article here in case this new link goes bad at some point in the future as well -

"CDL Clarification - Air Brake Restriction

There has been some confusion as to whether a CDL is required when driving a truck with air brakes. The CDL is NOT required unless the vehicle has a GVWR or a GCWR of 26,001 lbs. or more; is designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver); or hauls hazardous materials requiring placards. For example, a person can drive a straight truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 (under 26,001 lbs.) with air brakes, and no CDL is required. The "air brake" reference is commonly thought of as an "endorsement". It is NOT an endorsement, but rather a "restriction" that states if an applicant either fails the air brake component of the knowledge test, or performs the skills test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, the State shall indicate on the CDL that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with air brakes. As further clarification, the regulations REQUIRING a CDL do NOT include any reference to air brakes; they only require a CDL for a vehicle in the following categories (§383.91 Commercial motor vehicle groups):

(a)(1) Combination vehicle (Group A) -- Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

(a)(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B) -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

(a)(3) Small Vehicle (Group C) -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor Group B, as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F)."

I am no lawyer, and this is someone's opinion, but I agree with it and I believe it makes sense.

Edit -

Remembering that the internet wayback machine is a thing, I've found the text of the original link here - https://web.archive.org/web/20200813120204/http://illinoistruckcops.org/?p=758

This is the text in case it isn't available in the future -

"Legendary golfer Arnold Palmer once said “golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated”. Many times when confronted with understanding a dynamic concept, our brain over-complicates things. Instead of just standing back and looking at the big picture, we make a puzzle out of it and try to fit pieces into places they do not belong. A common place to see this manifested is figuring how airbrakes play into commercial driver’s licenses.

Braking is obviously a critical system on heavy trucks. Those who are going to drive trucks requiring CDL’s need to demonstrate their ability to understand these systems in a vehicle representative to what they will be driving in the real world…and herein lies the confusion.

It is not uncommon to hear someone say “that truck has airbrakes…you need a CDL to operate it” or “you can’t drive that truck without an airbrake endorsement”. Both of these statements are incorrect. Airbrakes do not make a truck CDL worthy and there is no such thing as an airbrake endorsement.

If a driver desires a Class-B CDL, he will need to test in a representative straight truck. If he wants to obtain his Class-A, then he will need to test in a representative combination of vehicles. But he is NOT required to test in vehicles with airbrakes. However, if the testing vehicles are representative of the class of CDL desired, but neither vehicle has airbrakes, the Secretary of State will put an “L” restriction on the license.

Here’s an example: picture a large 2-axle dump truck commonly used by landscapers that only requires a Class-C non-CDL license…like an International 4700 series. Sometimes these trucks pull larger tag trailers that now put the combination in the Class-A CDL category…yet neither vehicle has airbrakes. A potential CDL driver can use this combination of vehicles to test for his Class-A CDL. If he is successful, he will obtain his Class-A with the “L” restriction. However, he cannot use his new found CDL to drive other CDL vehicles that have airbrakes simply because he has a CDL. If he would like to lift the “L” restriction and lawfully operate a CDL worthy truck with airbrakes, he must go back to the SOS and pass a battery of tests in a representative vehicle to prove his operational knowledge.

The “L” restriction for airbrakes only applies when the CDL holder is operating a vehicle requiring a CDL. There are trucks manufactured with airbrakes that do not require a CDL at all. In these cases, a CDL holder with an “L” restriction may operate this vehicle because the restriction does not apply.

Why is this an issue deserving discussion? In the event a driver is operating a CDL vehicle without a being classified or endorsed properly, the Illinois Vehicle Code prescribes a misdemeanor charge (625 ILCS 5/6-507-A-3). Many local police departments require officers to make a custodial arrest of the driver for misdemeanor traffic offenses. This may include towing and impounding the truck, fingerprinting, mug shots, and assignment of criminal State and Federal ID numbers. That is big deal. However, if a CDL driver is indeed violating an airbrake restriction, it is only a petty offense (625 ILCS 5/6-113).

A minor traffic offense can easily become an unlawful arrest situation due to a lack of understanding. There’s no need to complicate things."

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks