Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: I need to borrow an 87-89 USAF dual circuit master cyl. mount temporarily

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,475 Times in 2,244 Posts

Default I need to borrow an 87-89 USAF dual circuit master cyl. mount temporarily

I am in the process of trying to manufacture the hardest part of the dual circuit conversion: the master cylinder/ pedal assy. mount. If I can bring this to market and find a master cylinder, then peope can add their own 2nd airpack, bend some brake lines and have a factory designed and tested dual circuit system and do it on a budget.

Problem is, my manufacturer needs an example to 3d scan. My truck has one but it's my only running deuce right now and I just went through the brakes last year, so I am loathe to take it apart.

Does anyone out there have an '87-'89 USAF truck that is not running or is taken apart that they can send me the bracket? I'll only have it for 60-90 days and I'll pay for all the shipping.

If you can help me with this, I'd sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!

Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clinto For This Useful Post:

Mandalore (12-06-2016), TGP (IL) (12-06-2016), yolner (12-05-2016)

Thanks

Is this the mount that is different if you have a winch?

Colonel
    Thanks

I hope you find a way to make this happen. Would be nice to have a stock option for more reliable brakes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to yolner For This Useful Post:

Mandalore (12-06-2016)

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bachman502 View Post
    Is this the mount that is different if you have a winch?
    All 1949-1986 M44/G742 series trucks equipped with a front winch use a U-shaped bracket that bolts to 2 threaded holes in the single circuit master cylinder.

1987-1989 USAF dual circuit trucks use a different master cylinder mount which allows the modern aluminum dual circuit master cylinder. The associated hardware (clutch and brake pedals, shafts, etc) are the same or interchangeable (the USAF trucks did have taller pedals, but they're otherwise the same).

Since the new, aluminum master cylinder is shaped in a way that the PTO shifter bracket can't mount to it, they designed the dual circuit mount to have an "ear" cast into it. It's actually pretty clever, you can use the earlier PTO handle and everything. The old PTO handle simply bolts to the ear where it used to bolt to the U-shaped bracket. So you can use all the early stuff on a later truck (and vice versa).

All USAF dual circuit trucks have the ear cast into the mount, regardless of whether they have a winch.

Single circuit:

IMAG1246.jpgIMAG1248.jpg

And dual curcuit:

IMAG1239.jpgIMAG1240.jpgIMAG1241.jpgIMAG1242.jpgIMAG1243.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clinto For This Useful Post:

502NDMP (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,685 Posts

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...31#post1496631

Had one complete sold it post 109
    but thread has all information you need like....

ID: 478054I found out that all the 1987 to 1989 M35A2C trucks came with the bracket to mount a PTO handle. Here's some pictures.
    Thanks Peashooter.
    I was here, had a good time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to frank8003 For This Useful Post:

BobH (07-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,685 Posts

The air tanks are different also and the MC are expensive
    I was here, had a good time.

4 Star General saddamsnightmare's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 956 Posts

December 8th, 2016.

But not as expensive as either wrecking the truck or running someone over on a brake systems failure..... It does amaze me that they scrapped the M151's and let the unmodified deuces out.......
    Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Swiss Cargo Unimog S404.114 "Helga" (after Haagar's wife!)

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 WoW "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce and a Half.
    (Sold in Texas 4-3-2012)

1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer.
    (Sold in Texas 4-3-2012)

1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen Set "Rev up your C130 Here!".(It went to Perrin Field AFB Historical Society Museum at Dennison,TX.)

MVPA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frank8003 View Post
    The air tanks are different also and the MC are expensive
    There is a lot of difference between the 1949-1986 system and the 1987-1989 system. The M44A3 system is roughly the same, except it uses a master cylinder mount that won't really work, as it has no provision for a clutch pedal. Yeah, you can make it work, but it's not good enough for me.

The 1987-1989 system has a pressure switch in it, like modern vehicles, to alert the operator to issues. This switch activates the parking brake light on the instrument cluster. This is the same as most 1960's cars.

One of the air tanks is deviated-it has two drain cocks on the bottom, one for each chamber. I figure installers can add a third tank on the right side of the frame, across from the stock airtanks in order to copy the factory split system. If you're really ambitious, you could cut your tank in half, weld a baffle in it, drill and tap a hole for the drain, pressure test it, then weld the two halves back together.

I'm working on a master cylinder that's reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by saddamsnightmare View Post
    December 8th, 2016.

But not as expensive as either wrecking the truck or running someone over on a brake systems failure..... It does amaze me that they scrapped the M151's and let the unmodified deuces out.......
    I think the deuces had been surplussed since the 1950's, so stopping surplus of them after thirty years probably seemed like shutting the gate once the horses were out.

I think the 151 story is pretty interesting. Read posts #4 and #9: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...A1-Performance

MVPA #21731

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,519 Times in 3,224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clinto View Post
    There is a lot of difference between the 1949-1986 system and the 1987-1989 system. The M44A3 system is roughly the same, except it uses a master cylinder mount that won't really work, as it has no provision for a clutch pedal. Yeah, you can make it work, but it's not good enough for me.

The 1987-1989 system has a pressure switch in it, like modern vehicles, to alert the operator to issues. This switch activates the parking brake light on the instrument cluster. This is the same as most 1960's cars.

One of the air tanks is deviated-it has two drain cocks on the bottom, one for each chamber. I figure installers can add a third tank on the right side of the frame, across from the stock airtanks in order to copy the factory split system. If you're really ambitious, you could cut your tank in half, weld a baffle in it, drill and tap a hole for the drain, pressure test it, then weld the two halves back together.

I'm working on a master cylinder that's reasonable.

I think the deuces had been surplussed since the 1950's, so stopping surplus of them after thirty years probably seemed like shutting the gate once the horses were out.

I think the 151 story is pretty interesting. Read posts #4 and #9: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...A1-Performance
    Actually haven driven this little death traps in the Marines I'm glad they never allowed them to be sold. I almost rolled one just doing 20 MPH on base once. Yes they where great little goats out in the boonies as long as you where going under 10 MPH. Most of the guys in the motor pool would rather drive a 5 ton then one of the M151's . I actually preferred driving the Tanks. Never had a problem with "rollovers" with a Tank. Just a problem with what I rolled over !

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

DavidWymore (06-23-2017), SCSG-G4 (12-09-2016), zanther (12-09-2016)

Corporal
    Thanks

I'd definitely be interested in something like this, Recently purchased a deuce and am going to overhaul the entire brake system once i get a chance to get it all apart. I've been hunting at the local truck parts lot through the deuces/5 tons that they have hoping to luck out and catch one with a dual circuit, but no dice yet.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast