• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some input on pump options for my Used Engine Oil.

Lonesome715

I have been looking at pneumatic diaphragm pumps for moving my dirty oil. I have found some on eBay that are pretty affordable. I am wondering is a $250 pump is going to work. That being said, I was looking at an electric sewage pump the other day at Harbor Freight. Plugging the pump into an electrical outlet would be so much more convenient. Would a sewage pump handle the harsh petroleum products in my dirty oil drums? If not, is there an electric alternative that can?

I really prefer not to buy two pumps. Is there a way to use one pump for both? Maybe purging the dirty oil before pumping clean into my truck? Any input is appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Before spending money on "some pump" you need to consider the volume and pressure the pump will put out. A $10,000 pump will be no good if you have to much/little-volume/pressure.

I use a pneumatic barrel pump that I can adjust both pressure/volume with the amount of air I send to it. If you want to just turn it on and leave, BUY A PRE-MADE SYSTEM!

Even then your flirting with disaster if walking away.

Lonesome715

It would be nice to turn it on and walk away. But I am not willing to take that chance. I do not even run the centrifuge unless I am there.

Mt_Man

I found a wilden 1inch aluminum double diaphragm pump on Craigslist for cheap. Bought all the hoses and connectors, which was the expensive part. Found out one of the diaphragms had ruptured and had new ones put in. No big deal, really. It will pass 1/8inch particles without being damaged and no spark hazards. I put some mesh on the suction tube that was smaller then that. They are pretty chemical resistant too. They have surge, maybe not if it's under a little pressure. They make surge devises to eliminate that. I use it for transferring wmo. Absolutely love it. I bought a 1/4inch marathon pump off eBay for $60 for a another project. It uses very little cfms. Cold weather pumping has freezing up issues, but warm water solves that haha. Does use some to a lot of air. Adjustable ball valve, somewhere around 4-10cfm. Deuce will run it fine, all the shops I visit have air too. I also have a 2inch Lincoln double diaphragm pump and that uses over 22 cfms with out pumping anything but it's rate for something crazy like 134 gpm. Diaphragm pumps are affordable to rebuild. Last for every. I have probably pump "easily" over 6000gal since I put it together. Manuals are easy to find and get parts numbers. Stay with big names, wilden, marathon, etc. Should be able to find cheap finding parts. What are your needs as far as gpm and do you have a good air sources? Hope this helps

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to a hydraulic surplus supply house, bought a small gear pump. Then went to Northern tool and bought an electric motor and love joy coupler.
Made a single mounting plate and have been running it for years moving waste engine, transmission, Hydraulic and gear oils. I put a strainer on the intake and run the dickens out of it!.

Mt_Man

IMG_0407.jpgIMG_0415.jpgIMG_0412.jpgIMG_0417.jpgIMG_0413.jpg
Got these at different times off of Craigslist for my polishing filter setup. But sounds to be what txfirefighter was talking about. I don't have part numbers though. I can get data plate info if you are interested.

Mt_Man

Heard of people using old power steering pumps from junk yards too. Would have a pulley on it. There are some with remote reservoir. I remember an Astro vans for some reason

snowtrac nome

I have both types I have a small gear pump attached to an electric motor for fuel oil I use to drain and refill hydraulic tanks and it works real good, for larger quantity's I use a wildon pump the pneumatic has the advantage of being able to go into an explosive environment like a fuel tank. One caution you should take with the diaphragm pump is to have petroleum rater diaphragms in it all pumps are not the same and most are intended for non petrol applications, especially if you are just looking at price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks