• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 30,000mile OTR Report

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey Wes,

Great log, thank you but you never mentioned if you added any trans fluid in your diesel or did you run it straight? Any injector issues with them sticking?

Thanks again...
I don't run any additives Mo. I might add something every so often cause its laying around from one of my other trucks but I am not religious about it. No sticking injectors at all. No problems and no mpg increases using additives. If I do add something its always Lucas.
When I do a filter swap I use it half in each filter with diesel filling it up. I am still noticing better mileage on Kroger/Walmart fuel vs Pilot. I don't use love's fuel at all. I hate that you cant pay at the pump. I have been stopping at speedway a good bit as well as it has been cheaper while on the road. She has a 720 mi range now on both tanks being full loaded at 50-55k which is up about 60 miles over the Allison setup. Winter blend fuel is here so I expect it to go down.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pulled the crankshaft inspection cover the other day to just take a peek inside. Looks pretty clean for near 75,000miles. Went ahead and ran the overhead on the engine and it was fairly close.

I also just changed over to Delo 400SDE oil this time around. Will see if I notice any excess or different noises or blow by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AewXRTTKHw0

hethead

I haven't posted on here in years. I've just checked in for info and entertainment. I just bought an M820 (minus the van, just a chassis cab with 395 singles) that I'm picking up in July and really appreciate the insight into a big Cummins that's actually being used and what to expect. I'll be putting miles on it, just not as fast as you are and I appreciate you taking the time to share what you're learning.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I haven't posted on here in years. I've just checked in for info and entertainment. I just bought an M820 (minus the van, just a chassis cab with 395 singles) that I'm picking up in July and really appreciate the insight into a big Cummins that's actually being used and what to expect. I'll be putting miles on it, just not as fast as you are and I appreciate you taking the time to share what you're learning.

She is up over 115,000 miles right now.

Hummermark

Hi did you duel fuel line the engine first then the fuel button or did you do them at the same time?
if done separately how did each mod manifest its self as far as driving it?
asking as plan to do both to a vt8-460 m51 Super Sherman engine.
thank mark

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will bump this with some tear down photos of the old NHC250. She developed a knock and some blow by. Nothing that obvious but a good bit of build up in the cylinders. Somewhere in the 200k range

Engine is equipped with standard liners as well. She was a good motor. Time to rebuild her to replace a hole in the block motor

Lower half photos once I get her on a stand

Attachments

Finallygotone

Thanks for the write up, I have one that has 10,000 it was kept out of the weather at a Nation Guard place and it sleeps in side even now, change all the fluids and filters, going to do a front brake job soon as I can find a place to get them, have some happy miles, I hate driving was a salesman on the road had got up to 6,000 miles a month in that company truck just retired and had enough of the road and the nuts on it, take care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks