• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Engages With Switch in the Off Position

Bravo2Uniform

My starter will engage and turn with the ignition switch in the "Off" position. I know this isn't correct, but I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. This is the ignition switch I am using:

8380700_a.jpg

It looks like it is hooked up correctly, the numbers match up, with 85 remaining unattached for as a power shunt for the heater (to be installed later).

I converted over from a 12 volt hack job so I have never started the M38A1 with the 24 volt system.

SturmTyger380

Yep. Sometimes I am cranking away wondering why it won't start. Then DUH! Turn the switch on dummy!

This is why I have a battery disconnect switch cause the starter switch always has power and if carbon is built up in there elec will leak down.

Bravo2Uniform

Yep. Sometimes I am cranking away wondering why it won't start. Then DUH! Turn the switch on dummy!

This is why I have a battery disconnect switch cause the starter switch always has power and if carbon is built up in there elec will leak down.
Thanks, I wondered why everyone seems to have those. That's a good idea, I'm going to install one. Thanks!

SturmTyger380

My M38A1 has the thumb screw battery cover. At first I had my disconnect inside there on the negative of the battery. That became such a pain unscrewing all those thumb screws each time I parked and started up. So I found a disconnect that was for a side post battery and mounted that down on the battery ground wire down along the passenger side of the engine compartment near the voltage regulator. So now I only have to open the hood to connect the batteries. Much easier and plus I am in there checking the oil and other things anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks