• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the club ! And yes I have lost my mine !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I hear what you are typing. You don't have to change out the rear gear oil if you just loosed the bottom plug to see if there is milk or water or good color. Rears are one inch down from fill plug when hot and that leaves the hubs correct. Fronts I would change the gear oil out per TM no matter what. Trust me you need to check the axles. I bought one from a member and was told the axles were good. Was going to drive it 1k miles home. Good thing I had it shipped but having trouble with the axle now. Everybody lies.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Sorry to hear that you lost your mine, but don't worry; you are among friends of the same. Some of us have regained our minds somehow. So you bought yourself an LMTV, welcome to that electrical, hydraulic & air gremlin club. Hope any gremlins & murphy fall off the truck before it is delivered to you! You got a BIG ole hole in the roof, somebody stole your Browning M2 & turrent system, its unfortunately common, so get in line to find one behind the rest of us open roof skylight truck owners.
Floridianson is giving you good advise on what to go check that is important in the way of lubricants & other PM related stuff as he has been a one man LMTV motorpool lately. Read up on all the related LMTV posts you can find to learn how to fix your air brakes, cab lift system, & any other ills you might find that your truck has. NAPA is your friend on lots of parts locally. Cat parts have a part number like this "$$$$$123XYZ$$$$$", so be prepared!

A friend has a truck with a Cat C7 engine in it that the starter died today. A mobile service drove 3 hours to get a new Cat starter & then install it. Bill was over $1000.00 for that. There is a growing group of guys here who can help with advice & parts sometimes to get & keep you going!
Post some more pictures when you actually take delivery of the truck! ;)

1951M1078

Thanks,FLAKM.

Going to build a Fiberglass cover. That's something we do at my shop. Also thing about building another gun mount like I had on the M151. But just a signal 1919a4. I know its not the right gun but I have one more kit to make a semi-auto and the kid's love machine guns ! Would like something that can go on and off easy.I'm to old for a 50 cal. Maybe use a MG42, German ring mount ?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the club! Reading through mkowen's "working on the M1078" thread will reveal lots of good info on maintenance items.

1951M1078

Have started putting together some starting parts. I have the door hinge and got a jumper plug. Man its big !
Thanks Wil, for sending the bolts !
IMG_3252 (2).jpg

All I need now is a truck .

Last edited:

f8617

Bad or poor parking brakes?...
Perhaps the brake chambers are just gummed-up inside, if so, a simple to accomplish ~1oz. dose of wd40 into each air line port on each chamber will suffice.
Also, recommend building-up trust in your vehicle by gradually extending travel distances.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont know if I would spray wd40 into the air system. If the spring brakes are not engaging they may be out of adjustment or other issue.

f8617

I dont know if I would spray wd40 into the air system. If the spring brakes are not engaging they may be out of adjustment or other issue.
It solved the problem I had on mine (i.e. no parking brakes, & rear wheels still turning in grass, at 800rpm idle, with my foot on the service brakes), with no subsequent problems.

agazza2

I did read about someone else purchasing this kit, and some of the filters were wrong. I would look at the FMTV Parts Spreadsheet on here, as it has all the correct numbers. Or wait till your truck arrives and verify some of the part numbers. I would definitely recommend ordering the Protection Valve rebuild kit (RN31BC, above rear axle). I ordered this kit from finditparts.com, as NAPA listed it, but said they could not order it. If you want to put a drawbar trailer hitch on, I have a place that can build it, or you can measure the one I had built with my plans by this shop.

1951M1078

Good News ! It will leave Ft. Hood ,Thursday ! But I have been told that before .LOL

For anyone getting trucks out of Ft. Hood. GP only is their Thursday at 8am sharp. So have the paper's that are needed and have a driver the MP's will let on base ! Ask me how I know this.

But with luck she will be here Saturday, fingers crossed.

And my new style air dryer will be here today ! Thanks, Will.

1951M1078

My truck is loaded and headed this way ! I'm so stoked !

Anybody using the KC relays ? Think I need 4 spares of 12V and 24V ?

1951M1078

I had something like that happen. Was coming back from 3 years in Germany and my car was at Bremerhoven waiting to be loaded. When it got to the state's someone had left the driver's window down ! Not good ! Hope your windows are up .

That will not be a problem with my truck. Because their is a LARGE air vent in the roof ! LOL

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks