• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the club ! And yes I have lost my mine !

1951M1078

Thanks, Allan.
With Sues Mom living with us things are going slow.
I will let you know .
I got a set of air bags for the cab and that will be next. Its more a repair than a up grade.

1951M1078

Here is the unit apart.

IMG_6526.jpgIMG_6527.jpgIMG_6528.jpgIMG_6529.jpg

The shock mounts to the plate with the 4 holes. The top of the shock mounts to the steel part of the bag with a pin and their are Orings on the pin.
The bag has a Oring at the bottom to seal it to the botton of the shock housing.

I would say all OEM air bags will need upper shock bushings. Their mostly dust. And the bags are very dry after 25 years.

FloridaAKM

My biggest problem was removing the four bolts on the base & the the very rusted two nuts on the top of the unit. The rest was a breeze & the next truck will be not a problem.

coachgeo

is there a part number on the rubber sleeve/bag? Not the whole thing.... just the rubber sleeve itself

what about part number on the shock? that thing looks beefy too.

Last edited:

1951M1078

Yes,but I don't have it. They are hard to get some of the time.I lucked out and found ones someone didn't want or was going to the aftermarket system ? I just could not see the $1200 for the aftermarket kit.

SSGHillbilly

Congratulations !:beer: I’m with you also . I hope you never tire of it.

New myself with a bobbed Deuce from Boyce Equipment.
having fun and glad I bought an American made Vehicle !

coachgeo

Yes,but I don't have it. They are hard to get some of the time.I lucked out and found ones someone didn't want or was going to the aftermarket system ? I just could not see the $1200 for the aftermarket kit.
I know the Power Packer part number for the whole thing that your purchased. Am asking about just the rubber sleeve itself that is made by firestone. Might be stamped into or embossed on the rubber somewhere. As for the shock; Maybe Power Packer or whomever makes that shock for them, put a number stamped into the shock body for that part?

wandering neurons

Just want to say "Thanks" for the pics and info on the air bag/shock rebuild. I just pulled the assemblies on my M1081 today and disassembled same. Bushing for top of both shocks was gone, rattled around in the air bag assembly. I'm shocked. One shock had lost all of its oil too. Replaced missing top bushings with two 7/8" O.D. x 3/4" I.D. bronze bushings per shock, with another 3/4" O.D. x (either 11/16" or 5/8" I. D. (sorry, can't remember which!!!)) bronze sleeve as a reducer to match the pin.
Air bags both held air but were frayed where the bag folded back in on itself. Reused for now.
Also, the rubber bushing on the bottom end of the shock was nearly gone. Replaced with two large (Ford) fender washers each side.
Result: Air bags held air, one shock still worked. Ride 100% improvement in quality and noise reduction (no more clunking).
Still need to replace everything eventually, but now that I know how it's done, it'll be a breeze!

coachgeo

if anyone is in at their bags again... still would like to get any numbers/insignia you can offer that is stamped or embossed into the rubber firestone bag/sleeve.

thanks in advance

wandering neurons

Sorry, mine were faded and unreadable.
Big problem would be cinching down the band clamps to prevent the bag leaking. Upper clamp is exposed and a worm gear clamp would probably work, but the lower clamp rides inside the air bag and any exposed points would probably wear a hole on the folded section of the bag.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the bags on my 1078 was also frayed and starting to delaminate from constant flexing. An air test showed little soap bubbles. With no replacement bag available I squirted "Slime" tire sealant in it. Worked fine and still holding several months later. This is not permanent of course but gets it working while another bag is ordered. And no disassembly necessary yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks