• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about building my hmmwv

04mustang

So I have a bit of a dilemma in regards as to how to build my dad's new hmmwv. It is a m998 on the data plate. However it has all of the holes, bolts, footman loops, rear bumper, and front winch to be a prime mover.
I have asked this question over on g503 but I wanted to ask it here as well to get your opinions.
Should I source the missing parts, such as the overhead netting rack and ammo rack, or should I build the truck into a 4 man soft top like I planned to originally?
Are the prime mover versions of these trucks rare or desirable?

BLK HMMWV

What the **** is a prime mover. I have never heard that term in relations to a HMMWV.
Do you mean like a GMV .
Most every variant and configuration has a M# like M998 M1025,M1026 and so on

04mustang

Prime mover is the name of the kit. From what I have gathered it was normally installed on a m1097. It was used for towing the light 105 mm howitzer.

BLK HMMWV

Cool.
Was it all together when you got it . Or did you have to find some of the missing bit's
Would you consider it rare or desirable configuration.
Seems kind of like an M1123

Action

twas it an m1069 ? do you really need mounts and straps for a saw and 105 projectiles? The roof rack is nice, though. A have sold a few of those. I think the rack is the same as the camouflage stowage rack.

04mustang

I do believe that the m1069 was first used as the prime mover platform and then the m1097.
I'm just not sure if it's worth it to keep it in that configuration or to make it into a 4 man soft top. If I did that I would keep all the prime mover parts so it could be turned back into one down the road.
I just keep thinking back to the m151a2c and those types of odd ball jeeps that people didn't keep in that configuration and now are worth alot. At least more than a plain m151a2.
And I also realize that rare doesn't equate to desirable.

springbok

If you have the time and funds to source out the needed parts I would say put it back to original.
May kick yourself for not doing it from the start.
Or you could put a 70000000 HP gas engine in it and make it go 18274978 MPH, seems to be the latest trend.
Oh and paint the whole thing with Bed Liner.

04mustang

Lol. So I've noticed the trend is now.
Even in changing it to a 4 man soft top I would still keep it all military. I am very much a purest....most of the time.
But I would still retain all the parts for the prime mover kit and maybe one day build it into that configuration after I've sourced those parts. But many of them will be hard to find if not impossible to aquire. Like a GDU and spade and sight posts.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool.
Was it all together when you got it . Or did you have to find some of the missing bit's
Would you consider it rare or desirable configuration.
Seems kind of like an M1123

it was a shelter truck, an M1097 is just a heavy variant. It's now a 4 man rag top.
being an A2, it has 6.5NA, 4l80E, 12k chassis and suspension etc....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks