• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra with new cab design..

Jones

Come on Mike... give 'em a point for the racy, abbreviated front skid-plate. Although the spare mounted sideways may act like sail and slow them back down a mite.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....waiting for somebody "in the know" to chime in and tell us that Tatra was first...I don't know when that brochure was made and "new" could be in the '80s......
BTW, engines offered includes Cummins and Cat...

Here is "Baby Tatra" with Cummins engine.

If S&S had gone with this design, it would have added commonality to the Army's "new" vehicles.

Attachments

Elwenil

All "my truck is better then your truck" BS aside, if that HEMTT looking truck has the Tatra "backbone" drivetrain it would be one impressive truck indeed.

tatra813

I prefer the quad cabs of the 813 and 815 and the new 816 although they also come in single cabs also. The 815 and 816 models seem to be mainly single cabs now for some reason.

The one pic has the new cab on the 8x8 so I guess that is the new thing ,looks good but I think it has less character than there previous cab lines.

sermis

I am thinking about another project. Does anyone have a cab for sale? Tatra, HEMTT or somthing that looks close. I would like a double cab to have room for the kids, but if I could find a single I could fab from there.

vtunimog

Tatra and Oshkosh had a "let me take your for a ride" relationship about 10 years ago maybe. Tatra actually gave them three trucks for testing. The word from the Terex (former owners of Tatra) is that Oshkosh basically took advantage of Tatra. The only reason Terex purchased Tatra was to get at the USMC contract. It had a shot at one point but the story from the Tatra folks is that Oshkosh used a great deal of leverage to secure that contract. Apparently there was some questions raised about the viability of ATC (American Truck Company) and the fact that their so called US plant would not be able to meet production plans. Who knows though. Do you speak with the Tatra folks in CZ or the leftover ATC guys in CT ?

vtunimog

Re: RE: Tatra with new cab design..

cranetruck said:
....waiting for somebody "in the know" to chime in and tell us that Tatra was first...I don't know when that brochure was made and "new" could be in the '80s......
BTW, engines offered includes Cummins and Cat...

Here is "Baby Tatra" with Cummins engine.

If S&S had gone with this design, it would have added commonality to the Army's "new" vehicles.

Finding someone in the KNOW when it comes to Tatra is impossible these days. The ATC guys are just about gone. The only market here is for S&S (the fire chassis co) Wildlands ULTRA XLT truck.

The cab does look like about 5 other trucks included you know who. However, I will submit that Tatra made a fairly similar armored cab back in the 70's -

The marriage of a Cummins or Cat into tatra is interesting. I assume to meet Euro III/IV standards? You can get a Kamaz now with a Cummins so I guess it is no big deal.

I always thought Tatra was noted for their strong air cooled diesels.

As for Cabs - The 815's do have some Double Cabs but they are a rarity. Mostly for Military applications. They just don't have that unique look like the 813 cabins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks