• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 snow plow install

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold my old pickup truck and snow plow, now winter is here so... I'm finally going to get the 11'x42" Gledhill plow that I found on the Web mounted of my M925.IMG_2993.jpgIMG_2995.jpg

I'm going to try and keep the plow as close to the truck as possible, but will interfere with my bumper end when angled, so I'm looking for another bumper (bent???) and lift points that I can cut the outboard portions off.
IMG_3016.jpg
I built a simple A-frame with an old 8 inch, six ton snatch block pulley that I hope to use the trucks winch to raise and lower the plow.
IMG_3024.jpgIMG_3028.jpgIMG_3033.jpg
I also have an old single circuit 24v hydraulic pump that I plan on using for my angle cylinder.IMG_3046.jpgIMG_3048.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use hydraulics to lift it.

Your gonna make a mess of your cable if you try to use it. There just is not enough control for that type of use.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use hydraulics to lift it.

Your gonna make a mess of your cable if you try to use it. There just is not enough control for that type of use.
You thinking 8" is to tight of a turn, or that I'm going pull too much cable in and bind up?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bind up and birds-nest when you let off tension too.

Jakelc15

You have hydraulics already? Bed lift.
Also your hydraulic power pack can be plumbed to allow both lift and angle. Either manually by swapping quick connects on the bumper or add an electric diverter valve.

I had a Deuce that I made a similar mount for, I used the winch to raise and lower. It worked for the season I ran it. Have to go slow and rewind the cable a couple times a week. Another pulley with some spring tension to keep the spool from birdcaging might help that a lot.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have hydraulics already? Bed lift.
Also your hydraulic power pack can be plumbed to allow both lift and angle. Either manually by swapping quick connects on the bumper or add an electric diverter valve.

I had a Deuce that I made a similar mount for, I used the winch to raise and lower. It worked for the season I ran it. Have to go slow and rewind the cable a couple times a week. Another pulley with some spring tension to keep the spool from birdcaging might help that a lot.
Yes, I run my dump off the winch hydraulics via a manual selector valve. Im thinking with the cost of an electric selector, I would spend a little more and convert pump to a dual circuit.
I'll likely play with the winch until I get my lift cylinder installed then maybe swap the electric for lift and angle with plow hydro.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I've decided this pig of a lower amount is not going to cut it, think I'm just going to build an entirely new one.IMG_3053.jpgIMG_3051.jpgIMG_3052.jpg

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a fun build. I would love to put one on my M35A2 but I really have zero use for it since I don't want to drive it on salty roads. It would only be for my driveway and my driveway now takes me about a half hour with my 4 foot front mounted blade on a big garden tractor. I would probably never do it unless somebody gave me all the pieces to build it. Even then, it would still take me forever to get done.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, try to keep mine out of the salt as much as possible, typically only use it on our long neighborhood driveways (six driveways, about 2 miles total) and the American Legion parking lot (about 2 acres).
Every five or so years our road drifts shut to the point the County can't get through it with their trucks and have to bring in heavy equipment. This is when it will be interesting to see what this truck will do!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is really cool.
is there a way to T off the pto hydraulic pump that powers your winch.
im just asking cause I don't know that much about the hyraulic winches, my 813 is shaft drive.
Yes, but this is an open centered hydraulic system with a lot of flow. The trucks factory valve wold not "hold" the blade up. Hydraulics are not my forte, so I don't really know what to search for in a remote switching valve that will hold a load. I am pretty sure it will be fairly expensive though, so I'm trying to work with what I have on hand for now.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_3049.jpg Right at half the weight of the old mount. Ready to tack onto my frame plates.IMG_3054.jpglooking up under the bottom of the frameIMG_3057.jpg connecting links tacked upIMG_3061.jpgUpper (bolt on frame potions) welded out, everything ready to be sand blasted.IMG_3070.jpgIMG_3071.jpgPrimed and ready for paint in the morning...IMG_3084.jpgIMG_3085.jpg

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you show more detail on those diagonal braces?

I'd like to see how you made the ends.

Jakelc15

Those ends are bought pieces. You just weld your tube to them. They may be forged, stronger than cast. Wing plow brackets use them a lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks