• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 snow plow install

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indeed it is. He did not get a picture of the gnome that lives and works in there and assists with winch directional controls but perhaps he was being cleaned up in the parts washer.
Thats ridiculous! Everybody knows its a gremlin not a gnome, and he works the CTIS not the winch, hence all the CTIS issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone see any issues with picking up the power for my hydraulic pump from the starter solenoid lug?
It looks like the motor draws about 175A full load. I doubt I'll ever get near that, and it's very intermittent.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be ok.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted the pump above the winch as far back as possible to leave room for the hydraulic lift in the future, yet still allow the hood to open fully.IMG_3302.jpgIMG_3303.jpgIMG_3304.jpgI still need to tidy up the plumbing, route the semi-permanent wiring, make a latch to hold the hood open, remove the bumper, sandblast and paint the A-frame, then wait for the snow to fly!

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might be a little OT but I talked to Chelsea today about the 939 Chelsea PTO and have found that our 5 ton PTO is obsolete and the new one that fits is 1/2" wider at the frame, which would appear to make fit in the A2 a bit of a problem with frame clearance.

That wasn't what I asked about however. I was asking if there was a direct mount for the hydraulic pump on the PTO...which I was informed there is a kit, that while being for the later PTO, will fit the OEM that is on our 939 series. The kit contains a flange mount that replaces the output plate and new final drive shaft with a female internal spline. Thus the pump will mount directly to the PTO using this kit. I'm getting the tech info from them tomorrow and will confirm I understood correctly. The kit, was about $150.

It sure would be a nice package to have PTO and pump is one unit.

My M35A3 apparently has room for this, where it does not a driveshaft type.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yea, while I have a Parker expert, we are going to go through the valves design for a power beyond application that would go in place (hydraulically) after the pump (on a 925) and before the winch valve with full flow capacity but reduced size spools for the low flow requirements of a plow...in a remote joystick with cable operation. Will advise.

BEASTMASTER

hey,did u ever look into tapping into the power steering pump as the main source for you're setup ?? a guy wanted to do it for me, but I never took him up on it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yea, while I have a Parker expert, we are going to go through the valves design for a power beyond application that would go in place (hydraulically) after the pump (on a 925) and before the winch valve with full flow capacity but reduced size spools for the low flow requirements of a plow...in a remote joystick with cable operation. Will advise.
That would be cool! Wonder if the exiting winch valve would need modified or replaced? Sounds pricey though

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey,did u ever look into tapping into the power steering pump as the main source for you're setup ?? a guy wanted to do it for me, but I never took him up on it.
I would consider it, if I didn't have the winch and it's hydraulics as well as this old 24V pump.
I taped the power steering on a 4x4 I built years ago to power the rear steering and it worked surprisingly well. That was just a factory 80's Ford power steering pump and steering box that I put an extra/remote reservoir and log splitter valve on.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure would be a nice package to have PTO and pump is one unit.

My M35A3 apparently has room for this, where it does not a driveshaft type.
I've been crawling around under my truck and it's scary tight behind the PTO. Maybe a smaller volume gear pump might work, but I don't know about this vane type monster? IMG_3306.jpgIMG_3307.jpgIMG_3308.jpgIMG_3312.jpgMaybe 20-30 years ago I would have had the patience to attempt it!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally pulled the truck out of the shop to see how bad I could mess up the gravel on my washboarded driveway. IMG_3316.jpgIMG_3317.JPGIMG_3318.jpg

Decided I should likely be able to leave the bumper on for this season, that's quickly passing by with no snow so far.IMG_3325.JPG IMG_3326.JPGThe plow only makes firm contact, if I don't raise it to high.IMG_3327.JPGI can still drop the wheel assembly's down another 2" to help them pass under the bumper or I may just temporarily remove them if necessary.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little off topic but I am curious what you have for a hoist under the bed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I have a thread in progress on it "M925 M925A2 dump bed hoist install" in 5-ton mods and hot rodding, sorry I don't know how to post a link to it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I discovered a problem with my tension fit axle mounts when the plow is not on the truck. IMG_3159.jpgWhen the wife screams as soon as I go to pull the truck back in the shop and I SLAM on the brakes, they both dropped off on the ground.IMG_3350.JPGI added another 3/4" block to the 1/2" lip on the lower u-bolt plates. We'll see if that fixes the problem...

I also blasted, painted and put reflective tape on my a-frame.IMG_3344.jpgIMG_3347.jpgHmmm... wonder if there's any legalities to putting white reflective on the front of a vehicle? I'll have to see what it looks like, oncoming at night, I think the camera flash really exaggerates it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just another tidbit, I made a supplemental hood prop to use while the a-frame is in the way.IMG_3386.jpgIMG_3380.jpgIMG_3383.jpg
Due to the fact that it looks like winter may completely bypass me this year, it will likely be fall, before I start mounting the hydraulic lift and redoing the hydraulic system as well.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just another tidbit, I made a supplemental hood prop to use while the a-frame is in the way.View attachment 665610View attachment 665611View attachment 665612
Due to the fact that it looks like winter may completely bypass me this year, it will likely be fall, before I start mounting the hydraulic lift and redoing the hydraulic system as well.
That is some creative metal work, nice job! Have you had any problems with the winch cable binding up, building a birdsnest, pinching the wire?

It won't snow until you take the plow off or sell it. We hope it's temporary but we're at about 10" of snow in total so the picture is from better days, about 5 years ago, when we'd get that overnight. We usually get 3' a year. Is this an off year for your weather?

1010snow.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is some creative metal work, nice job! Have you had any problems with the winch cable binding up, building a birdsnest, pinching the wire?

It won't snow until you take the plow off or sell it. We hope it's temporary but we're at about 10" of snow in total so the picture is from better days, about 5 years ago, when we'd get that overnight. We usually get 3' a year. Is this an off year for your weather?

View attachment 665657
Thanks plowboy, thats one cool looking plow truck!

No birdsnesting, I did add some weight just to be sure. IMG_3441.jpgYou can see the piece of round stock clamped to the cable, that has since been painted orange with a yellow top. This acts as a headache ball and a site gauge. I can adjust it, so when it comes into view over the top of the pulley I know how high my blade is.

I dropped the plow off a week or two ago, just for that reason, still nothing.
We have had an extremely, warm, wet, winter this year. Last years we saw very minimal snowfall as well.
Oh well... I may try it out this summer doing some light leveling of loads of dirt, as their being dumped and packed in!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we finally had enough snow last weekend to justify putting the plow back on. Sorry I didn’t get any good action pictures or video, and we only had 9” with no real drifting, so was fairly anticlimactic, maybe more snow this week. IMG_6016.jpg The plow worked fantastic with no real issues other than using the electric pump for the blade angle is waaaay too slow, but fortunately I didn’t need to change the angle much. The winch worked great for the lift, and was very controllable running with the two part line.

buggyman

Looking GOOD! I was ready for snow this winter but we have only have about 2" total. A couple of years ago we had over 3 feet of snow by now. Happy Trails :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks