• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY Tire Balancing

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered a set myself. Thanks guys. I'm gonna try them out, some shaking going on at 55mph for sure here. I'll use that time to also do my hub spindle nuts. If these work, I wonder if they have sets to do all the big trucks.....

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I request you put them on first and test for us? Otherwise we might not know if it’s them or spindle nuts that fixed the issue ;)
Spindle nuts ?
If those are loose....they will come off after the lock tab brakes off....then ...there goes that tire/wheel/axle.

rcamacho

I’ve used centramatic balancers previously with a 1/2 ton truck on 33@ mud tires. They did a great job keeping the wheels balanced as they wore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoMe08721

Had them on the m998 sense Saturday and so far they are working out great. They don't give off any sounds and I been doing 65mph every day and no shakes in the steering wheel. But the main reason for putting them on was when I am doing 75mph ish the steering wheel had a little shakes that I could have live with. But then I came across these and I though I would give them a try. So far I would recommend them, but I need to do more highway test with them. Plan on doing a lot of highway driving later this week will get back to you guys how they hold up.

Also dose any one know if they make a set for the deuce and a half.

Action

Had them on the m998 sense Saturday and so far they are working out great. They don't give off any sounds and I been doing 65mph every day and no shakes in the steering wheel. But the main reason for putting them on was when I am doing 75mph ish the steering wheel had a little shakes that I could have live with. But then I came across these and I though I would give them a try. So far I would recommend them, but I need to do more highway test with them. Plan on doing a lot of highway driving later this week will get back to you guys how they hold up.

Your wheel was probably shaking at 75mph, because you were going too fast....
This type of balancer is useless at slow speeds. You should still balance the assemblies.

rcamacho

The business started with semitruck fleet product. They should...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
They expressly warned against balancing the wheel and tire conventionally and said this will only work against the cerramatic when I called them.

Action

They expressly warned against balancing the wheel and tire conventionally and said this will only work against the cerramatic when I called them.
Im no scientist, but when the wheel needs more lead than the balancer can compensate for, you still have an out of balance tire / wheel. I did stay at a holiday inn once.
I guess that they are stating putting their balacers and a balanced wheel, the weight will have nowhere to go and unbalance it?

AOR

I know this is a DIY tire balance thread and I only read part of it I have heard people have had issues getting these balanced. I have also heard that most tire shops will not attempt to balance these. I have successfully balanced these tires and wheel assemblies on my Hunter Road force GSP9700 tire balancer using the exact same adapters Chrysler , GM and Ford suggest for their dealerships with 8 lug wheels
its an add on expensive adapter set that most tire shops will not have. I used the he same adapters and fingers that are used on the Dodge 2500-3500 wheels it did a great job. I also balanced my M1102 assemblies which shook my 2500 allot at highway speeds and after balancing the vibrations were completely eliminated I am going to post pics incase anyone wants to have this done locally

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im no scientist, but when the wheel needs more lead than the balancer can compensate for, you still have an out of balance tire / wheel...
The question is, how much of an unbalance can their Hummer/H1 model actually compensate? Nowhere in their brochures could I find any specifics.

For the records: All the HMMWV 24-bolt wheel & tire assemblies that came out of OKC back in 2013 - literally thousands of BFG-Baja's as well as GY MT/R - all of them still had those 1/2-oz balancing stickies on the inside; some as much as 48 of them (4 rows of 12 = 1.5 pounds!).
I very much doubt that the product in question could address such extreme cases. Maybe reduce the shaking a bit, yes...

There is absolutely no logic in that. Within limits, their product should be able to compensate ANY unbalance condition, including a perfectly balanced assembly!
The amount of compensation comes "on demand", and only limited by the combined weight of their "hard-metal" beads plus the fluid, after shifting to one side of that disc/ring.
In case of a balanced tire the beads and oil would simply distribute evenly around that ring.

Last edited:

Skrilex

Banned
Just reporting what the company told me. My balance situation was that one wheel was calling for 17oz at the local tire shop spin balancer. Centramatic said their balancer is rated for up to 12oz of compensation, if I remember right. But the tech person said, try them and see, they will surprise you what they can balance.
Also just as an FYI the reason they make a hmmwv specific balancer is the owner of the company owned an h1. So you can be sure they were made the best they can be for our application!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just reporting what the company told me. My balance situation was that one wheel was calling for 17oz at the local tire shop spin balancer. Centramatic said their balancer is rated for up to 12oz of compensation, if I remember right. But the tech person said, try them and see, they will surprise you what they can balance.
Also just as an FYI the reason they make a hmmwv specific balancer is the owner of the company owned an h1. So you can be sure they were made the best they can be for our application!
More likely the prototype for his truck were made the best they could be , then it went into production with materials that were good enough to keep costs down and profit up.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got mine today, hopefully I'll start on it tomorrow. Been doing some flooring in my house so it might be a one wheel at a time deal, but if I get ambitious.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks