• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 transmission in a HMMWV

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we all have pumpkins with 3 versions of gearing. I will be swapping in 2.58 gears (or is it 2.56?). I will then swap in the 700R4 using the Bowtie tranny system.

Juan Prado swears his stock non-turbo goes 70+ without issues with a three speed. There is a California remanufacturer who says they can do 75 in a 3 speed.

I have been sticking to 45MPH max until I do some suspension work that I just don't seem to have time for.

I will be keeping the heavy military rims/tires with run-flats, although I might upgrade to Magnesium run flats. I'd rather keep the runflats and such so if I have an issue I can drive an hour or so at 30 MPH prior to needing to repair. Swapping tires on the highway or in a dangerous or unlevel area is not my idea of safe. I'd rather choose where and when I do that repair.

Magnesium run flats?
ummmm, not a good idea. There is a reason they aren’t using them anymore.
think about what happens to magnesium once it catches fire. Also, the Magnesium RF is not authorized in the
radial tire and rim setup, only the Hutchinson.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Magnesium run flats?
ummmm, not a good idea. There is a reason they aren’t using them anymore.
think about what happens to magnesium once it catches fire. Also, the Magnesium RF is not authorized in the
radial tire and rim setup, only the Hutchinson.
True and I will heed your advice BUT REMEMBER, performance rims called "MAGS" are called MAGS after MAGNESIUM. Light, strong, less rotating mass. My several GTO's had Mags. Real ones made of Magnesium because they are so light. [back in the day I sold the Mags for $$$ to a dragracer restoring an 'old goat' used for racing].

Given my HMMWV will NEVER hit a 10 second 1/4 mile, I guess rotating mass is not that much of an issue, so you're right RWH.

Best and thanks RWH.

T

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr. T

An hour at 30 MPH would be under ideal conditions. More like 20 minutes and 7 MPH till tire shreds to ****. If being shot at then ya got do, what ya got to do.

Either way you're late to work, CAMO
I've seen too many people lose legs above and below the knees because they stopped to change a tire on the highway rather than drive some distance and find a safer area. Even driving 5MPH on the side of the highway beats a "bumper injury" where someones front bumper pinches the driver's legs into the stopped car's rear bumper. As a trauma surgeon, this is an all too familiar scenario we are faced with.

Shred the tire, shred the run-flat, shred the rim, and roll to safety at any speed is my preference. That's why I love runflats.2cents

BEST,

T

Sorry for the de-rail...:derailed:

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Yes, play it safe out of dangers way, to play another day.

The run-flat option can be a life saver in certain conditions. Battlefield, sure. Off road, good too get back to camp or level spot.

Highway, I have had my share of "fast air releases" with "controlled maneuvers" Can't say for everyone else, but at HUMMWV convoy speeds 50-55 and paying attention in the slow lane, those fat 37's will go right out of balance sending "something's not quite right, real quick" to the seat of you pants, along with instant slowing. Remember, HUMMWV slow and on three tires slower. Plenty of time to get to the side and maneuver. Bigger problem is those in the rear view mirror at 82 MPH.

If you look at the HUMMWV tire inside to contact run-flat, it's not that far. When airing down off road, it is easy to bounce on the run-flat with a thud, that and a lot of sidewall flexing. The bead lock and run-flat work to your advantage for how it was designed. You shouldn't drop down to the rim where it can getsquirrely, digging in going "auto pilot" IMO, run-flats works most of the time.

Combat rims and run flats, pain in the butt, but worth it it the HUMMWV configuration, CAMO

87m998

I was ready to order from dirty boyz but the # I got to call is not answered when I call and the voicemail is full. Any one else have any problems with them? I checked out Bowtie, they answer the phone, but by the time you add up all the kit price is way high. Another question anyone know of another supplier?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was ready to order from dirty boyz but the # I got to call is not answered when I call and the voicemail is full. Any one else have any problems with them? I checked out Bowtie, they answer the phone, but by the time you add up all the kit price is way high. Another question anyone know of another supplier?

they are on FB, you can IM them...

90Jimmy

Midwest military equipment.... same photos and everything. I don’t think dirty boys actually build them, it’s a source in the Chicago area. They just offer it like Midwest.

Last edited:

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out Novak Conversions. I was pricing a 700R4 that was modified with the right input shaft to bolt up to my NP242 transfer case two days ago. Ask for Craig extension 350. NO CORE FEE. These guys have been around a loooong time.

87m998

Well thanks for the tips, but after spending hours today on the web and talking to trans places and after reading on here for a year or so I was under impression the th400 and 700r4 were the same length and the swap would not need driveshaft mods. Novak says yes. I'm so confused LOL. Back thinking of dirty boyz. Is or is it not the th400 output shaft 27 or 32 spline for the np218. thanks

90Jimmy

It bolts right up, no drive shaft modifications... call Midwest and talk to joe. It’s the same thing, exact kit from the same place dirty boys gets it. Trust me. No mods to any drive line parts. Just needs a shifter. That’s all I had to buy

Last edited:

90Jimmy

I actually ordered the entire kit off the MME website and had it shipped to my residence in Illinois to avoid paying sales tax. The shipping was free so it made financial sense. It arrived packaged neatly on a pallet, loaded it up with the truck and dropped it all off together for install. The kit shipped from an address in Illinois but the location escapes me now. The only addition part required for installation was a 4L80E equipped HMMWV shifter. Several members right here have them available often. Hope this helps, it was money well spent IMHO. Good luck.

JAG

What I’d liked to know is, where DirtyBoyz and Midwest Military Equipment get the trans from.

DirtyBoyz charges $3,250.
Midwest charges $3,999.

If you read the descriptions from both sites, they say, word for word, the exact same thing.
If someone smarter than me knew, IÂ’d like to know where they get the trans and go directly to the source to save money. If not, my money is going to DirtyBoyz once I line up a shop to do the work.

90Jimmy

What I’d liked to know is, where DirtyBoyz and Midwest Military Equipment get the trans from.

DirtyBoyz charges $3,250.
Midwest charges $3,999.

If you read the descriptions from both sites, they say, word for word, the exact same thing.
If someone smarter than me knew, IÂ’d like to know where they get the trans and go directly to the source to save money. If not, my money is going to DirtyBoyz once I line up a shop to do the work.
You can talk to MME about the price, they are pretty easy to get along with. They told me the source of the transmission, it was a persons name. One of those names someone says that it seems like you should know who they are talking about...like maybe they are a big deal. I do not remember what name, just wanted to ensure my warranty and who warranties if issues. They indicated any warranty would be at MME. The shipping invoice had a northern Illinois address. That’s about all I remember. It was nicely packaged and looked just like the pics on both web sites. I’ve had zero issues thus far.

JAG

You can talk to MME about the price, they are pretty easy to get along with. They told me the source of the transmission, it was a persons name. One of those names someone says that it seems like you should know who they are talking about...like maybe they are a big deal. I do not remember what name, just wanted to ensure my warranty and who warranties if issues. They indicated any warranty would be at MME. The shipping invoice had a northern Illinois address. That’s about all I remember. It was nicely packaged and looked just like the pics on both web sites. I’ve had zero issues thus far.
That’s the thing. I did talk to MME, and when I asked why they were $750 MORE expensive than DirtyBoyz, I got zero response.

I understand the HMMWV market has exploded in the past 10 years, so I guess you can charge whatever you want to charge.

I’m sure they’ll honor their warranty - by sending the trans back to that guy and getting another one. Haha The point is, both websites have the same warranty deal, with the same core return. So I’m sure it’s what they worked out with the trans company.

If you could find that shipping invoice and send me a PM with the info, I’d be very thankful!

90Jimmy

That’s the thing. I did talk to MME, and when I asked why they were $750 MORE expensive than DirtyBoyz, I got zero response.

I understand the HMMWV market has exploded in the past 10 years, so I guess you can charge whatever you want to charge.

I’m sure they’ll honor their warranty - by sending the trans back to that guy and getting another one. Haha The point is, both websites have the same warranty deal, with the same core return. So I’m sure it’s what they worked out with the trans company.

If you could find that shipping invoice and send me a PM with the info, I’d be very thankful!
I’ll look around for that shipping invoice, it could be around. Crazy the price has gone up so much. I paid much less than 39 hundies...you may just ask them who they source the kits from. It don’t recall them trying to keep it under wraps. Like I said before, they said a persons name not a business name. Maybe it’s not an outfit selling direct.

If you call back to MME ask for Joe, he’s the owner and seems to be the one who makes the deals. He’s done good by me several times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks