• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 transmission in a HMMWV

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was ready to order from dirty boyz but the # I got to call is not answered when I call and the voicemail is full. Any one else have any problems with them? I checked out Bowtie, they answer the phone, but by the time you add up all the kit price is way high. Another question anyone know of another supplier?
I purchased a Level 2 K-case 700R4 with special output shaft from Bowtie for just under $2500 including crating and freight from California to Kentucky. Is this more than you want to spend?

infidel got me

Sharecropper, that is a deal and a half.... did the unit come with a t.v. cable and flywheel ?? Even if those have to be sourced, that is a great deal.. I might have me a 4 speed sooner than I thought.. Thanks for the post

87m998

I talked to bowtie and got a quote for 3850 or so a week ago. Pressure gauges 45.00, 255.00 for a flexplate etc, must have thought I'm a rich Humvee owner.

infidel got me

700 r 4

Well, that price brings it right back to what the others are offering.. Flexplate was around $60 if I recall. looking back Sharecroppers post was from 2016, guess they figured they could charge $1000 more since the Humvee boom....

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

Spring2019.jpgSpring2019-1.jpgSpring2019-2.jpg
4/1/19: First miles on the new setup / 4 speed conversion. As I had mentioned before my truck has been in my friends shop since July 2018 and basically has had a complete front to back top to bottom done to it. Aftermarket Radiator, 700r4, new driveline parts, 2” spring lift , 2” body lift, new wheels and 40” tires, interior lights, dome lights, secondary heater, solid back “window”, X doors , welded on hard top, back up camera, and the list goes on and on.

BUT, what everyone seems to what to hear about is the 700r4 conversion. So let’s talk about that and I can answer other questions if need b. Took the truck out for the first time earlier today. Driving around city streets the combo of ditching the stock / heavy wheels and tires and the new trans higher 1st gear is very noticeable. The thing is almost “peppy” if I dare to say so. Gets up to normal cruising speed a lot quicker then with the stock setup for sure. That was noticed after the 1st stoplight. I went on the highway for the first time and floored it. The trans downshifted as it should and I was cruising along with traffic anywhere between 68-73mph at under 2500rpm. Speed was verified by a GPS Speedometer app on my phone. Best part at these speeds I still had power left over to accelerate to go around slower moving cars and such. The motor wasn’t “buzzing” and sounded like it was comfortable at that speed and rpm. Before when it was stock the thing sounded like it was going to blowup and that was at 55mph. The pic below was at 70mph...
Tach3.jpg

Last edited:

87m998

Thats a nice looking ride, glad the transmission is working out. I think I'm gonna go with dirty boyz as all the shops that don't offer a kit and are pretty clueless with poor customer service. I will try again to contact them besides email. I also tried the performance shops in CA with no joy.

JoeJrTheBarber

Joe I used a Magnaflow. I like their stuff. I can probably come up with a part number and pics if anyone is interested.
I literally went to a exhaust shop and said put on whatever muffler you have that will fit ! I cant begin to describe how horrible the truck sounded (and performed) with no muffler. I should of known better from past experiences with motorcycles. When it was straight piped the truck had no power off the line, and the overall noise inside the cab was straight up annoying.

The truck is nice and quiet again (well, as quiet as these trucks can be).

JoeJrTheBarber

Thanks for the great update. Sounds like you are a happy customer!
I am very happy with the Dirty Boyz kit and especially their customer service. Mike Ried over at Dirty Boyz is a solid dude who has these trucks himself and knows his product inside and out. I also picked up the 4 speed shifter from him to complete the package.

The 4 speed literally changes the entire truck for the better. More off the line "pep" due to the 700R4 having a higher 1st gear, lower RPM's throughout the gears, and obviously a higher top / cruising speed which all in all makes it more fun to drive. For the cash I think this is a mandatory mod on these trucks.

Last edited:

87m998

Well I tried again to call Mike at dirty boyz no joy, I have sent one last email. I also talked to Midwest they are pretty proud of theirs for 3999.00 plus shipping and without a core no warranty. They also say they build their trans themselves so no boyz and midwest don't get them at the same place. He also said never heard of dirty boyz and didn't know about the copy and paste pictures of their products. Doesn't look like I will be doing this mod anytime soon unless something good happens.

90Jimmy

Well I tried again to call Mike at dirty boyz no joy, I have sent one last email. I also talked to Midwest they are pretty proud of theirs for 3999.00 plus shipping and without a core no warranty. They also say they build their trans themselves so no boyz and midwest don't get them at the same place. He also said never heard of dirty boyz and didn't know about the copy and paste pictures of their products. Doesn't look like I will be doing this mod anytime soon unless something good happens.
They do not. Mine was ordered from their web suite and shipped to my houses....the photos and descriptions are the exact same on each website. They may not be aware that dirty boys also distributes the same product. They even had to ship my core back to the original vendor after install for my warranty. I would not put out information that’s not correct. If they built it I wouldn’t need it shipped to me to take to them for install. Go to the dirty boys website, it has MME items for sale. Not sure who you talked to but they may just be uniformed working a phone.

Last edited:

90Jimmy

I just took a look at MME website...it looks like they no longer have the same exact photos shown on the dirty boys website. Maybe since my purchase and install in November they have gone a different route. The verbiage is still the same for both...it’s does say shipping included so you wouldn’t have that cost. I’m gonna be over that way soon...I’ll ask

87m998

Well thanks for the info 90Jimmy but MME sales rep said they build them when asked where they got them, gonna leave it at that. I also got a call from Mike at dirty boyz very shortly after my post and we had a nice chat, suppose to talk more later today.8)

90Jimmy

Well thanks for the info 90Jimmy but MME sales rep said they build them when asked where they got them, gonna leave it at that. I also got a call from Mike at dirty boyz very shortly after my post and we had a nice chat, suppose to talk more later today.8)
E41B136A-EE51-4E3E-8C6E-E81FD91CEC77.jpg392C9ABA-1FC5-472A-AAEE-CFE43D660E86.jpgFound the shippers invoice, as I recalled it was shipped from Northbrook IL, MME in MO is listed as the person to bill for shipping because it was free to me. The actual address in Northbrook is a shipping and fulfillment center. Northbrook Illinois is north of Chicago and 5 hours away from MME. Someone, not them , like they told me supplies the kit. Not sure why the person you spoke to won’t just say it...oh well, it’s not my outfit or business to lose. Northbrook is also right in the backyard of Dirty Boys. I’m with you I would go with the less expensive option, no doubt. And they have great reviews from JTB. You’re gonna dig the install and results man. I’ve got about 1000 miles on mine, so far zero mechanical issues. I mostly post this because I hate to seem wrong or appear to be putting bad info out on this site. Good luck and keep us updated.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, please excuse me for being so dumb, but what is wrong with sourcing a Level 2 K-case 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives for $1650.00? This unit is rated to handle 450 HP and 450 FPT. It is the exact unit that I have bolted behind my P400 engine going into my M1028.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=B

Granted, Bowtie would need to add the Advance Adapters output shaft in order to mate up to your HMMWV transfer case, and this adds another $500 or so. And you would also need the TV bracket and HMMWV shifter, but you will need these regardless where the transmission comes from.

What am I missing in this thread?

Attachments

90Jimmy

Guys, please excuse me for being so dumb, but what is wrong with sourcing a Level 2 K-case 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives for $1650.00? This unit is rated to handle 450 HP and 450 FPT. It is the exact unit that I have bolted behind my P400 engine going into my M1028.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=B

Granted, Bowtie would need to add the Advance Adapters output shaft in order to mate up to your HMMWV transfer case, and this adds another $500 or so. And you would also need the TV bracket and HMMWV shifter, but you will need these regardless where the transmission comes from.

What am I missing in this thread?
Noting is wrong with that approach. I went with the kit because it was all encompassing. Transmission built heavy with correct output shaft to avoid adapter, new flex plate, convertor, TV cable and bracket, correct dip stick tube, new mount and all the necessary electric components for lock up. That's why I did in that way. Like skinning a cat, there are several ways...

87m998

Well I bought from from Mike at dirty Boyz once we were able to talk, should have the trans within two weeks. Very excited and hoping for the best. Wife hardly said anything except why. She's the only reason I have this money pit :) BowTie just had to many mandatory add ons and 4 week lead. When this is said and done I should save @$700.
:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks