• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 transmission in a HMMWV

JoeJrTheBarber

Did you reuse the 3 speed shifter?
After doing some looking into it I just bit the bullet and bought a new 4-Speed shifter from Mike over at Dirty Boyz Off Road (same place I got the trans kit from).
Made no sense to go this far into the project and skimp out on something so small (and important) as the correct shifter.

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

Awesome! Is a transmission shop doing it? I’m wondering how many shop hours would go into a swap with this kit?
The shop that is working on my truck is doing the trans swap. They specialize in complete road racing spec builds of Ferrari's and lambos so a trans swap in
A Humvee isn't a huge deal for them. Exactly why I brought my truck to them in the first place. No matter what I want done or any crazy ideas I have they make it work
and their attention to detail is insane..

I will keep track of the hours and report back !

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2/25/19: My 700R4 is getting installed in my truck this week. I will have tons of photos to post of the install once completed.
Joe - the single most important thing about the 700R4 is correct adjustment of the TV cable. You set this adjustment at the TV bracket with WOT. Also, make sure your accelerator pedal is opening the injector pump to WOT when the pedal is fully depressed.

Looking forward to the photos.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shop that is working on my truck is doing the trans swap. They specialize in complete road racing spec builds of Ferrari's and lambos so a trans swap in
A Humvee isn't a huge deal for them. Exactly why I brought my truck to them in the first place. No matter what I want done or any crazy ideas I have they make it work
and their attention to detail is insane..

I will keep track of the hours and report back !
Don't care if they do Bugottis, make sure they don't "Foxtrot" up the CV cable!!!

Easy to screw up if you don't know 1980's GM well

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad the TV cable got brought up. I have a nice core that I will have someone rebuild, four speed shifter but no TV cable bracket! I have wanted ads out and not a bite. Where are these things????

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad the TV cable got brought up. I have a nice core that I will have someone rebuild, four speed shifter but no TV cable bracket! I have wanted ads out and not a bite. Where are these things????
I bought mine on the great Fleapay auction site... In anticipation of the tranny swap this Spring.

JoeJrTheBarber

My bracket came with the kit I got from Mike over at Dirty Boyz Off Road. Get ahold of him as he might sell you just the bracket.

1977and2010

Getting the TV cable adjusted was a pain but doable. My pedal travel was not long enough to get full push on the tv valve. I had to install a shorter spring in the valve body to get pressures where they are supposed to be. I got pretty friendly with Chris at Bow tie Overdrives. I had a couple issues at first but would definitely recommend them.

slmanella

I too purchased the 700r4 kit from Mike @ Dirty Boyz. Had a buddy install in my 91 6.5 GEP.
Install was super smooth!! Only hitch is tire balance at higher speeds. Any thoughts on balancing 12 bolt wheel?

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave up on balancing those 12 bolt wheels wheels. I stood right by the machine and watched the tech try to balance my set of 12 bolts. Tons of weight and it still wasn't right.Gave up. Modified a set of H2 wheels and mounted Firestone MT2's, Same tech, same machine and they took very little weight. Great ride and handling.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too purchased the 700r4 kit from Mike @ Dirty Boyz. Had a buddy install in my 91 6.5 GEP.
Install was super smooth!! Only hitch is tire balance at higher speeds. Any thoughts on balancing 12 bolt wheel?
Centramatic http://www.centramatic.com/ I had horrible vibration till i bought these. look for the hummer H1 wheel balancers. Someone else on here recommended them. They work!

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

2/27/19
700r4 and stock transfer case bolted together and went into truck today with zero issues.
TV cable installed , trans filled, lines to cooler ran, etc. From what the shop said doing the work the entire install was around 9-10 hours...
Trans2.jpg
Few more things need to be wired on the truck and stock shims removed and then we can put some shakedown miles on it..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks