• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 transmission in a HMMWV

JoeJrTheBarber

Joe how much did the 700r4 conversion cost you?
The kit was around $3500 I believe (give or take) from Mike over at Dirty Boyz Off Road.
I also splurged and got a 4 speed shifter from him as well. Then around 8-10 hours of labor at my buddies shop to get
it installed. Still have some road testing to do but from what they say it was literally a direct bolt in..

JoeJrTheBarber

Well I found the elusive TV cable bracket today. Got it thru Dirty Boyz in a roundabout way.
I stopped by the shop working on my Humvee today and asked how the "magical" TV bracket worked out and I quote:
"Your truck had one on it already, we just used what was there.."
So, some of these trucks have this said to be extinct bracket ?
I guess I now have one for sale ?

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I get the correct bracket in I will compare them and post here what I find. I have heard, not seen, that the original Humvee bracket can be modified to work. From what I have read, the TV cable adjustment is a sort of do or die thing. It has to be right. I will do my own install when the time comes so I am trying not to screw this up.

JoeJrTheBarber

Any updates Joe on how the conversion went and how it drives?
As of 3/5/19 the trans is fully installed in the truck and all seems to be well. The shop that is installing it for me is finishing up a
bunch of little odds and ends before the truck gets its first shake down miles and we can see if this swap lives up to the hype.

Installing a tach in the truck as well so I can get ya guys some videos of different mph vs rpm's and such.
Believe me as soon as its done and back in my hands I will let ya guys know...

JoeJrTheBarber

Pictures or you didn't do it !!!! lol
Ask and you shall receive …
Trans1.jpgTrans5.jpgTrans3.jpgTrans4.jpgTrans2.jpg
That's all I have so far. I stopped by the shop today and for whatever reason the main seal of the transfer case is now leaking ! Wasn't leaking before
or for the past year I owned the truck so who the **** knows why it is now ? So, tomorrow its coming out to be inspected and prob split and re-built.
Gone too far and spent too much $$$ on this thing to have it leaving its calling card everywhere I park it.

Stay tuned.

JoeJrTheBarber

It's not leaking, it's marking it's territory!!!
Yeah, I don't play that game !

UPDATE 3/23/19
Leaking transfer case was sent out for a full seal/gasket rebuild and is back installed in the truck and is nice and dry.
Shop working on the truck has one day of wiring to finish up this coming Monday and then should be putting some well deserved / 9 months in the making break in miles on the new setup. Besides the transmission, almost everything else on the truck has been replaced, upgraded, changed, etc so I told them YOU guys put some miles on the thing before I get it back. I am a pretty good "wrench" but they can sort out the bugs before I take delivery..

Will post more once I get it back and have some time to take some videos and such. I also plean to start a new thread to address everything that was done to the truck and keep it all in one thread...

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

90Jimmy

Great to hear.
What's your "average" cruising speed and RPM with the 700R4 in your truck ?
I have a tachometer kit but haven’t installed it yet, so I have no RPM information to share. I can now cruise 50-55 comfortably....37mph is about the shift point for the OD. It is a definite benefit, but if you’re expecting after the install you’ll be running down the interstate with traffic you would be a little disappointed.. in summation it makes running 55 feel ok and not like the engine in about to come apart. It does not make you feel like running 70 is no worrris....just how I see it.

JoeJrTheBarber

I have a tachometer kit but haven’t installed it yet, so I have no RPM information to share. I can now cruise 50-55 comfortably....37mph is about the shift point for the OD. It is a definite benefit, but if you’re expecting after the install you’ll be running down the interstate with traffic you would be a little disappointed.. in summation it makes running 55 feel ok and not like the engine in about to come apart. It does not make you feel like running 70 is no worrris....just how I see it.
I guess every truck is different.
Before the swap with my 6.5L/3 speed I could cruise the truck at 60-65mph without the RPM's screaming too bad, and maxed out I hit 75 via a GPS Speedo app on my phone.
Along with the trans I also got rid of the stock / heavy wheels and tires and went aftermarket so from what I have read should help on the MPH department as far as loss of rolling weight and such.
We shall see this week...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before the swap with my 6.5L/3 speed I could cruise the truck at 60-65mph without the RPM's screaming too bad, and maxed out I hit 75 via a GPS Speedo app on my phone.
Along with the trans I also got rid of the stock / heavy wheels and tires and went aftermarket so from what I have read should help on the MPH department as far as loss of rolling weight and such.
I think we all have pumpkins with 3 versions of gearing. I will be swapping in 2.58 gears (or is it 2.56?). I will then swap in the 700R4 using the Bowtie tranny system.

Juan Prado swears his stock non-turbo goes 70+ without issues with a three speed. There is a California remanufacturer who says they can do 75 in a 3 speed.

I have been sticking to 45MPH max until I do some suspension work that I just don't seem to have time for.

I will be keeping the heavy military rims/tires with run-flats, although I might upgrade to Magnesium run flats. I'd rather keep the runflats and such so if I have an issue I can drive an hour or so at 30 MPH prior to needing to repair. Swapping tires on the highway or in a dangerous or unlevel area is not my idea of safe. I'd rather choose where and when I do that repair.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Mr. T

An hour at 30 MPH would be under ideal conditions. More like 20 minutes and 7 MPH till tire shreds to ****. If being shot at then ya got do, what ya got to do.

Either way you're late to work, CAMO

Last edited:

90Jimmy

I am curious what RMP I am actually turning...who knows I may just be sensitive to all the noise. Could be turning way less than Max RPM, I just don't like tearing stuff up. good luck with you install man, I am looking forward to reading all about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks