• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Thru Trucks signs

sandcobra164

Well I believe I have made a few neighbors mad. A few rural roads around me are now posted "No Thru Trucks". I know that during the Christmas Holiday, the County Commissioner is likely out of office but it would appear that I have to engage him in the near future. I'm just curious as to how this may / may not apply to me and my 5 ton. I had no option with the local tag office and had to register it as a Commercial Vehicle. I'm running not for hire but I'm thinking that the sign applies to me as well when driving the 5 ton. Any thoughts. I'm in Georgia but I'm not familiar with the laws that apply to stuff like this. I just know that I don't want to break any laws and will comply as advised, to a point. The roads that now have these signs are ones that I have used rather often in the past and will require me to change some of my driving routes when in the truck.

Thanks,
Joseph

Jeeperjoe

Contact commercial enforcement officer and log the time date name an badge number and keep on your truck, they will be the only reliable source of information

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well I believe I have made a few neighbors mad. A few rural roads around me are now posted "No Thru Trucks". I know that during the Christmas Holiday, the County Commissioner is likely out of office but it would appear that I have to engage him in the near future. I'm just curious as to how this may / may not apply to me and my 5 ton. I had no option with the local tag office and had to register it as a Commercial Vehicle. I'm running not for hire but I'm thinking that the sign applies to me as well when driving the 5 ton. Any thoughts. I'm in Georgia but I'm not familiar with the laws that apply to stuff like this. I just know that I don't want to break any laws and will comply as advised, to a point. The roads that now have these signs are ones that I have used rather often in the past and will require me to change some of my driving routes when in the truck. Thanks, Joseph
Joe, I just consulted our mutual friend the retired Motor Carrier Enforcement Officer who lives down in your AO (Americus, GA.)....You know exactly who he is and his wife still works for me.

First, Motor Carrier Compliance Officers (in Georgia) are only supposed to work on STATE roads and Interstates in Georgia unless they are called by local authorities for a specific mission. He says you should check with your local LEOs and find out who had the signs posted and why.

NORMALLY...(according to him) those signs/limitations apply only to for hire commercial vehicles UNLESS the vehicle is picking up or dropping off on that route...and can prove it.

Being tagged as a commercial vehicle in GA does NOT necessarily mean it is a commercial vehicle. Proud American is tagged commercial because she has three axles and the CGVWR is over 26K lbs...but not for hire. That also lets the State collect the extra 50 bucks for the "Highway Impact Fee" which started about 3 years ago.:recovry4x4: What a poop parade!!

I really can't see where you can run afoul of any rule/regulation/law unless you are using your vehicle in "Furtherance of commercial enterprise".

BUT... I would check with local LEOs as I said and explain your status.:D

Last edited:

sandcobra164

PB,
Great advice as always. I consider your knowledge into commercial / non-commercial discussions to be very spot on. I know you have researched my concerns so I will continue to use the locally available roads as needed. The one that concerned me the most is the one that I mostly go down to warm the drivetrain up before hitting the 4 lane road. It's rural as well but I like to take it slow and warm things up for a few miles before I really blend with traffic.

Thanks,
Joseph

Flyingvan911

No thru trucks usually means that you can't use the road as a short cut, etc. If you are driving down the roads to get to your house then you are not a thru truck. You are going to a local destination. I do agree you should ask someone just to make sure everything is in order.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not in Georgia, but here in Texas such signs mean that Commercially OPERATED truck must stay OFF of roads/streets so designated unless using the MOST DIRECT ROUTE from permitted lanes to the "residential" address they can prove they are destined for or originating from on their return to the more major routes.

These signs are not always posted due to a resident's complaint. Sometimes it is due to the actual road construction or structural integrity and the road/bridge authority is limiting the load applied to the surface or any weak structure along the route.

Our recent upsurge in oilfield activity here has resulted in MANY such signs being posted to limit service trucks and tankers to the more major routes unless a "local" stop is necessary.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The thru trucks sign only applies to commercial vehicles that are making a profit doing it. You are not commercial per the federals government unless u are making money. According to the county ordinance for that way Joseph unless you are over 36,000lbs your safe. They use a municode system which a lot of counties and cities use.

https://www.municode.com/library/ga...nances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH2-17TR_S2-17-5TRROPP

Doughtery County Ordinance

Sec. 2-17-5. - Truck routes—Applicability.

• Share Link
    [*] Print
    [*] Download (docx)
    [*] Email

(a)
All motor vehicles having a gross weight in excess of thirty-six thousand (36,000) pounds, including the load thereon, or having an overall length in excess of thirty (30) feet, except vehicles designed to carry passengers, are prohibited from using any public road within the county that is maintained by the county except those herein designated as truck routes, with the following two (2) exceptions: (1) Motor vehicles, the terminal, parking lot, repair garage or headquarters for which is not on a designated truck route shall have ingress to and egress from such places by the most direct route available between the terminal, parking lot, repair garage or headquarters and nearest designated truck route; and (2) motor vehicles engaged in making a specific pickup or delivery on a public road not designated a truck route.
(b)
If any designated truck route, or portion thereof, shall be under repair or otherwise temporarily out of use, restricted vehicles shall use other temporary truck routes as may be designated by the county.
(Res. No. 82-040, §§ 1, 3, 12-20-82)

diesel dave

The advice given by papa bear is the best. It doesn't matter what other states do,or even how other parts of your own state view this. It's the local LEO whom will be enforcing,and writing citations. You may find that the local authorities are targeting specific trucks and really don't care about you. But,usually these signs mean what they say no matter where you live and at least in my part of the forest,law enforcement will write the citation and as they say "let the court decide".

deshet

I would not ask the question until someone stops you for a violation. An F350 and F450 is commerical in some areas but I assume those vehicles use the same roads. You know the officers in your area better than anyone. In my area they would not be concerned unless someone specifically complained. Once you ask the question then you can bet that your vehicle doesn't blend in like the rest.

I am trying to figure out why you don't have antique plates. Most of the Big Military Vehicles I see either have no tags or antique tags. The military conveys run through the area without any tags at.

Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would not ask the question until someone stops you for a violation. An F350 and F450 is commerical in some areas but I assume those vehicles use the same roads. You know the officers in your area better than anyone. In my area they would not be concerned unless someone specifically complained. Once you ask the question then you can bet that your vehicle doesn't blend in like the rest.

I am trying to figure out why you don't have antique plates. Most of the Big Military Vehicles I see either have no tags or antique tags. The military conveys run through the area without any tags at.

Thanks
It depends on your state. The county i live in the ordinance says any truck over 8000lbs is a commercial vehicle except consumer vehicles such as duallies. Which conflicts with state law on commercial vehicles. I have trial on July 30th on it

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

poppop

I own a commercial truck and live on a no thru truck road. I can drive that road to leave and come home because I live on that road. I have a Friend that owns several semi's and hauls for hire. His home and shop is on a state road that is no through truck and one of his drivers was stopped a couple Months ago by DOT. When told he was on a no truck road he replied my home base is on this road and was told to proceed.

Scrounger

First off I don’t live in Ga. and can’t comment on the laws of that state. As has already been posted about commercial use and access, something else to consider. States have what are called STAA corridors. That is the big roads for big stuff, doubles, triples, 53 foot trailers etc. One is permitted to leave the corridor for up to one mile for food, fuel and lodging. The state must also grant access from the corridor for deliveries and home terminals. It would seem to me that what has already been posted is if you are driving the roads necessary to get to a big road there isn’t much one can say about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks