• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheelspinner's M1078

Johno176

Must be a favorite place for them. I had mine off last month and found the same thing. Cleaned it all with the shop vac and I was lucky they didn't chew anything. Then I loaded up the cab with 4 cabin fresh pouches and no signs of them so far.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the weather is going to cooperate this weekend and with a little help should be able to get the front axle swap and rear diff chunk changed for the new gears. Can't wait for this.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got the truck back today complete with the standard 290 hp tune and the correct turbo for the 290 version. WOW!!!
Still waiting in the gear change so it doesn't go any faster, but MAN does it get there quick! Climbing hills in 7th with no struggle was SO worth it.

While we were there wheel's wife got to cross one off her bucket list and learned to drive a CAT 725. Yeah she was happy too !

View attachment 712431View attachment 712432
I am looking to do the turbo swap as well, do you know what was involved in the tune? Is it just the fuel settings or is there also adjustments needed in the governor. Comparing the parts manual it looked like there are few differences in the governor between the 225 and 290hp spec, wasn’t sure if these charges have a significant impact.

redman333

Curious about buying from Bragg. Is there a way you can tell me where on base you picked up the vehicle. I want to go check some out but not sure where they are located on base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

coachgeo

View attachment 739334

New axle mounted. Need new universals and a couple brass bushings. Finish it up next week sometime.

Thanks Aaron!
due to weather..... way shop is oriented. size, and mainly time allowed to use the shop ..... we plan to drop front axle and move it indoors for 3rd swap. We can move it out and cover it every night we do not get done.

Any suggestions from your recent experience in dropping out the axle?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was mainly a spectator as I'm still married to my crutches but from what I saw and such they are just stubborn at times, but it was prettt straight forward. Was odd though that when lowering after getting the ubolt brackets off it wanted to roll off the jacks towards the front which seemed counter intuitive. Putting the new one in we used two floor jacks and it was much more balanced. Seems like a lot of busy work but not all that bad. I would say it was still miles ahead of having to screw areound with resetting the hubs.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well a little update, I finally got a chance to take the truck for a drive, and with the HP increase and now the 3:07 gear sets it is a blast to drive. The trans seems to REALLY like the gear swap as far as shift points etc. I also got to see just what a difference the locker in the rear axle makes. Wow! its a completely different truck.

But either this one or the 1088 has to go, so I have reluctantly listed both for sale (not on here yet) and which ever goes first the other will stay. But they are both great trucks so we will see.

My indicated speed @62 was 48. So just drive another at 48 MPH and you will understand how much quieter it really is.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_2255.jpgIMG_2256.jpg
Took these two trucks to the "Veteran's Day Ride" jeep event at Uwharrie national forest off road training center with my son. I cannot stress how much better the truck is to drive with the 3:07 gears. Even when it does downshift on a long steep pull 6th gear easily holds 55. Had a great day and a great drive. Gotta fix the heat and air bags though.....

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said in the other thread that you paid $140 to get the tires installed? How many? What kind of shop did the work? That's a steal.
These were all 4 mounted on rims already. I just paid to basically have them “rotated” old for new. It’s a local commercial tire shop. When I have had other tires dismounted and remounted has been about $60 including O- ring each. It was $35 each to take the old off and tote the new ones on. My back and knee said thank you to me for days.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These were all 4 mounted on rims already. I just paid to basically have them “rotated” old for new. It’s a local commercial tire shop. When I have had other tires dismounted and remounted has been about $60 including O- ring each. It was $35 each to take the old off and tote the new ones on. My back and knee said thank you to me for days.
Thanks for the info. I called around and found two places nearby me that will change a tire out for $50/ea, not including the o-ring. That is just me driving up, with the new unmounted tires in the back, so they will take the tire and wheel off the truck, dismount the tire from the rim, clean the rim of any rust/debris, install the new tire on the rim, and put it all back on the truck. Seems like a deal to me, and in line with the prices you've experienced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks