• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

0-80 electronic speedometer in a mechanical hmmwv

erasedhammer

That is what the sender screws onto. The piece on left is held into t/c with a y bracket. The 90 degree piece will not be reused. If you pull the piece out of the t/c, you will need to get the tm out to see how to put it back in the correct position. This is also where you change gears for different diffs to get correct speed reading.
Will the sender not work if it's plugged into the 90 degree adapter? Mine is not working, not sure of the cause yet.

I had a spare t case lying around and I did basically what you said, I unscrewed the 90 degree adapter, but to my surprise there was a square drive rod sticking out which the sender will not plug in to.

So unless there's some other adapter that is needed the sender will not plug directly into my t case. I have a 242 in case anyone was wondering

erasedhammer

Open up your Parts TM and learn what that little thing is. It isn't mysterious.
Well it looks like there is a separate adapter that is used. The TM shows the sender plugging directly into the transfer case. Unfortunately thats impossible as both the t/c and the sender are male connectors. So where would I get this different adapter?

UPDATE:

Took another look at the wiring diagram. There are three wires coming off the sender, one being a ground wire. I do not have this?
Is there only supposed to be one wire that carries the signal from the sender to the speedometer? or two?

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it looks like there is a separate adapter that is used. The TM shows the sender plugging directly into the transfer case. Unfortunately thats impossible as both the t/c and the sender are male connectors. So where would I get this different adapter?

You must have skipped page 2 of this post...mount and sender are there.

erasedhammer

You must have skipped page 2 of this post...mount and sender are there.
disregard that part, part of the 90 degree adapter stayed in the t/c making it look like the wrong gender connection.

But I got it working.
for 10 minutes.
then it broke again. All electrical connections are good to go. Ill be unscrewing and screwing the sender back in to see if something interally broke on the sender.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plastic gear T/C housing has an adjustment depending on gear tooth count.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tab comes out by pulling it....if its broke now, it was not when sent.
Also there are 3 different gears for inside : 35 teeth for 2.56 gears, 36 teeth for 2.73 gears, and 41 teeth for 3.08 gears in Diff.
The gear/sender housing must be adjusted to proper numbers per teeth.
Here.s pics.
DSC_000572.JPG
DSC_000571.JPG
DSC_000569.JPG
DSC_000567.jpg

Last edited:

papakb

The unit is not a pulse generator, it's just a little DC generator. I have a couple of them and they output DC voltage when spun up with a drill.

wildchildsteel

I have a 90 on my t/c with test leads coming out of it. I am trying to install a piece of equipment with gps and it needs to be able to tell if the wheels are moving at what speed, just like the speedo. but I need to know what kind of voltage I should be seeing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks