• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint prep - which degreaser?

Ddk2001

I'm getting ready to paint my HMMWV (inside, outside, and some of the undercarriage). I've searched and read just about everything I could on paint prep and degreasers - and have seen a few products mentioned ranging from regular household cleaners (simple green) to caustic products (wild dog).

Ive seen Purple Power mentioned a few times and am thinking of going in that direction. I'll like apply with a pressure washer.

Any thoughts? I don't want anything too caustic - but want to make sure the truck is properly prepped.

Thanks
-D

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have used PP for years and spray it on full strength let it soak for a few minutes then use the pressured washer. The cheapest place here to get it by the gallon is Dollar General.2cents

CMPPhil

Use hot water

Hi

Have had good results with Purple Power type cleaners, but the results are much better the hotter the water you use. Anything over 100F seems to improve the results dramatically plumped in a mixing valve outside of the house so that I can have warm to hot water for the pressure washer. One thing I have noticed about old OD paint is that Purple Power will actually strip it if you let it sit on the paint for a few minutes.

Cheers Phil

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purple Power contains diethylene glycol mononutyl ether. A glycol ether is sort of a hybrid between an alcohol and organic solvent, so it makes oily deposits water-soluble, while not being as harsh as caustic. I also like to wet-sand lightly...that helps to locate prior runs in old paint jobs, and there can be a lot of them once you start looking closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks