• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moderators~ Time for a Generator only forum!?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Administrators~ Time for a Generator only forum!?

Threads for Generators totally dominate this forum.
It makes it very difficult to sort through to find other info that isn't GenSet related.

Can the Generators have their own forum?
Looks like they certainly need it.

Just a thought.

edited to reflect administrators in title

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure it will be along after the train forum. FYI, admin decides forums, not the mods.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Train forum, submarine forum, crybaby forum....

Nope

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure it will be along after the train forum. FYI, admin decides forums, not the mods.
Not sure how this forum is set up, but I've been a moderator on a Ford Truck forum for over 15 years... and we have a forum hidden from regular users. It is for moderator and admin discussion about all topics... sometimes creations of new forums too. All the same, would be nice for someone to set it up that way.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you mean taking Power Generation out of Aux Equipment, to create a forum like The DEUCE, GAMA GOAT, CUCV, or M880, yes, it's an excellent idea.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A revision in forums will be happening. But right now I'm focusing on the move. I will however likely need assistance in moving threads.

Firebrand

As a recent 803A purchaser, I would think most SS users would build more traffic given the ease of use provided by a Generators only section! Already I've spent a huge amount of time and energy scanning and searching for 803A specific threads and information. Time saved is money! Thanks in advance!!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can spin up a sub-forum(s) under the aux section. But just like you pointed out. Finding the content and separating them is the problem. I have no magic wand to wave to move the specific content into the appropriate forums. It would be a completely manual process to sort through the aux section and place things into a category. And this typically is the point when the wheels fall off where people want it to happen, but no one wants to put the effort into making it happen. I can alternatively just setup the new sub-forums and hope/direct people to post into the new area. But that'll leave a lot of good content "orphaned" so to speak.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are looking for moderators that would be willing to help, I'll volunteer. I'm an experienced forum admin. I run the 24hours of lemons forum.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you decided to be just one Generators forum or do you want to separate the Generators by class (3KW, 5KW, 10KW, 30KW, 60KW+ etc), or by type (Gas / Diesel, or MEP-002/003, MEP-016B/701A... I'm not sure of all the differences, I only have a MEP-016B/701A)?

I would volunteer to help once it is decided how you'd like the split to be.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can spin up a sub-forum(s) under the aux section. But just like you pointed out. Finding the content and separating them is the problem. I have no magic wand to wave to move the specific content into the appropriate forums. It would be a completely manual process to sort through the aux section and place things into a category. And this typically is the point when the wheels fall off where people want it to happen, but no one wants to put the effort into making it happen. I can alternatively just setup the new sub-forums and hope/direct people to post into the new area. But that'll leave a lot of good content "orphaned" so to speak.
I might be newish here, but certainly not new to how forums and thread moving works (18 years as a moderator at www.ford-trucks.com). If you are looking for volunteers, I'd be happy to help.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A sub-forum for Generators and related equipment.
Then within that you can search for gas, diesel, Kw size etc.
or however it's decided.

It would be a lot easier than it is now looking and searching for info that isn't genset related

Guyfang

Staff member
This is the only way I could get my posting to work.

Have you decided to be just one Generators forum or do you want to separate the Generators by class (3KW, 5KW, 10KW, 30KW, 60KW+ etc), or by type (Gas / Diesel, or MEP-002/003, MEP-016B/701A... I'm not sure of all the differences, I only have a MEP-016B/701A)?.

At last count, I have about 30 different gen sets, not counting 24 volt output models, 400 hertz models and the digital models. And I only looked at 0.5 KW up to 60 KW. Thats a lot of work. Like I said, I am willing to help. If a few people all help whenever they can, it should be do-able to move threads. May not happen all at once, or even fast. But do-able.

Some of the sets I counted, rarely come up, and some have never come up. But we could come up with a short list and don't worry about the model differences. Everything else could fall once again under "AUX" equipment, a sub heading in the Power Generation forum.

I would volunteer to help once it is decided how you'd like the split to be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks