• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homemade Load Bank

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When load testing during the winter, I do plan to let it heat up my shop building (48 x 30). :)

Looks like my breaker bank will fit nicely in the build in box:

IMG_0483.JPG

Test fitted the contraption in the enclosure after removing the compressor and coil:

IMG_0484.JPG

Got 4.5" of clearance from the bottom of the tube and the floor of the enclosure:

IMG_0487.JPG

I think that will provide enough air flow up thought the heater elements and I don't need to cut out openings in the floor of the outdoor unit, which was a concern I had.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it done.

Heating element wiring:

IMG_0497.JPG

Double pole double throw switch with center off position to select 1,800 or 2,700 watt configuration:

IMG_0509.JPG

Powered on testing with just the fan running:

IMG_0511.JPG

Video of it in action:

Given how I have it connected to a 20A breaker for testing, I dare not kick on any real load. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks