• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Series vs FMTV Series trucks, Pros and Cons

snowtrac nome

I felt safe with the a-0 it has the mechanical fuel injection system and an American made block, all the shortcomings like driveline vibrations and broken bell housing bolts should have been repaired by now. The a-1 will have the 3126 engine which is electronically controlled, The guys pitching a fit about the cost of yellow motors just wait until you have to pay some on to plug in cat e-t to figure out what your problem is. I'm lucky I have it, and I get paid good money to use it, but if I didn't have it, it would be something I would think seriously about.

red

I came across an article that provided some history on Stewart & Stevenson (SW). They won the contract to develop a new fleet of vehicles for the Army, but the Army owned the blueprints/design so it wasn't proprietary. Any vehicle manufacture could build the fleet because of this design ownership. The design was "borrowed" from the Australians and modified to suit the needs of the military. SW didn't have vehicle production experience and significant problems were developing because of it. When I read about problems with the LMTV, I can't help to think about the roots of the SW trucks and that makes me want the M939 even more (dig the style).
Can anyone confirm SW lacked production experience when they were awarded the billion dollar contract to build the LMTVs?
Stewart and Stevenson has been a heavy duty service and modification company, not a manufacturer of the base vehicle such as Kenworth, Peterbilt.... They had never overseen the original vehicle construction until the LMTV contract.

For example my service trucks when I was working in the oilfield. Originally had a f350, then a sterling 5500 with mechanic bed/crane on the back. Stewart and Stevenson was who repaired the trucks for us (under contract) because they had setup the truck originally. They didn't build the vehicle chassis (ford and sterling did) but they did everything else.

Nomadic

Completely different experience. To SS's credit, it was a tall order to prevent frame corrosion for 22 years and they failed at that initially but did eventually get a passing grade. Its the teething that steers me away.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the standard five ton combat rims fit LMTV as well as 900 series five tons?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the standard five ton combat rims fit LMTV as well as 900 series five tons?

LMTV rims fit 939series 5tons. Presumably the reverse is true as well. Since 5ton rims are generally a little more expensive than LMTV rims I havent seen anyone motivated to do so, while the LMTV rims become a cheaper option for the 5ton owner.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Some of the LMTV production wheels from accuride are tapered on 1 side only so flipping them on the rear of a 5ton will not turn out well

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was wondering if I could use a five ton combat rim as a spare on an LMTV trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks