• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone put casters on their 802 or 803?

biz

I don't have a forklift and was thinking about building a frame with 6 heavy duty 600 lb+ rated casters to make it easier to roll around my "garage".

i figured I'd have the frame built and ready when I pick up a unit and will have the seller lower it into the frame.

i have a detached building I use as a garage/workshop and the floor is the same height as my f-350 bed. It's got a set of double doors that opens up and looks like a loading dock.

My plan was when I acquire a unit to take off my tailgate and to roll it it from my truck to my building.

whatcha think?

Guyfang

Staff member
I had my Master Metal Worker weld up a frame, with casters and with holes drilled in it for just this reason. Getting all my jobs around the shop. At times, we had 6-8 different types in shop, and could then move them from the different areas in the shop, with no problems. The holes in the frame allowed us to secure them with a couple bolts, to the frame. The floor looked like the back side of the moon, and I needed to make sure nothing could ever come off the frame. It also bonded the gen set to the frame. I had him add a little height to the whole thing, so you didnt have to work on it, looking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built a simple cart out of 4 pieces of 2x6, 1/4 bolts and 4 casters.
Works great for wheeling it around my garage and outside when I need to use it.
The 802 "locks" onto it and can't slide off.

Casters 1.jpg
Casters 2.jpg

I used my open deck car trailer to bring the 802 home and built the dolly for it afterwards.

Last edited:

csheath

I see no reason you couldn't just bolt casters to the skid as long as you have a solid surface to roll it on.

I considered buying one of these to put mine on so I could roll it around the property. In one of the reviews a guy claims he put a spray tank and sprayer unit weighing 1300 lbs on one and says it is very stable and rolls all over his land.

I probably won't need to move mine so I'm just going to set it on concrete blocks under my shed.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 660066
View attachment 660067

I used my open deck car trailer to bring the 802 home and built the dolly for it afterwards.
I put together something very similar. Mine was just a little bigger since I use it for various equipment around the shop. Works great for 802s or 803s. Makes moving them around while working on them a breeze.

NEIOWA

I see no reason you couldn't just bolt casters to the skid as long as you have a solid surface to roll it on.

I considered buying one of these to put mine on so I could roll it around the property. In one of the reviews a guy claims he put a spray tank and sprayer unit weighing 1300 lbs on one and says it is very stable and rolls all over his land.

I probably won't need to move mine so I'm just going to set it on concrete blocks under my shed.
a 200;b [
I have one of these chicom wagons. 1200lb would be a WILDLY drug induced estimation of the load capacity. I wouldn't trust it with 500lb when new. The tierod steering is junk lasted about 3yrs. The "deck" won't handle diddly for a point load (concrete block etc) all sagging.

Transport a MEP___?? Har, snort, guffaw!!!!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I modified a heavy wood pallet for my MEP002 & use a pallet jack, inside the shop, to move it around. Actually, it never leaves the pallet which provides a good base when I need to run it on the apron outside. The wood seems to absorb the vibration. I bought the pallet jack used for a couple hundred...... that's at least what your going to pay for those castors. I speculate, but if you try running that Genny on castors, it will probably creep around by itself & will need to be restrained. The pallet jack has other uses, plenty of capacity, and is already "industrial grade".

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a horse stall mat from Tractor Supply or any farm and garden that sells them. I took off the d rings and dipped them in plastic dip. This stops their rattle too! I used to just silicon them down on perm installations. I use 500 lb capacity 8" wheels for my construction rentals.Steelex D2579 Fixed Heavy Duty Industrial Wheel, 8-Inch and [h=1]Steelex D2581 Swivel Heavy Duty Industrial Wheel, 8-Inch[/h]

Firebrand

Has anyone thought about or installed pneumatic casters so they can be rolled about over rougher terrain than concrete floors? While I have mine currently fixed to the trailer it came with, I am thinking about a smaller rollable version with something other than HMMMV wheels and tires.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 660066
View attachment 660067

Where did you get those casters and what is the rate rating?

m32825

Search for "welding table wheels". Welding forums always have someone building their ultimate welding table then trying to figure out how to move that 1500 pound beast around the shop. Some good ideas out there.

-- Carl

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted casters directly to the skid with half-inch threaded casters. Pushed straight okay, first time I pushed it sideways one of the casters folded up. Not heavy duty enough. Looking for better beefer set up now.

Thank you,

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put together something very
similar. Mine was just a little bigger since I use it for various equipment around the shop. Works great for 802s or 803s. Makes moving them around while working on them a breeze.
What do you use to take gen set off and on your wheel set up?

Thank you,

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you use to take gen set off and on your wheel set up? Thank you,
I use a floor jack to raise the set one end and a time and put a 6x6 block under each skid rail. Once up on the four blocks the dolly can be rolled out and then the set lowered down to the floor.

Where did you get those casters and what is the rate rating?
Looking back at this thread I see I failed to respond to your question. :sad:
They were some take-offs from work. I believe they were rated at 500lbs each.
You definitely want one pair to either be locking or be non-swiveling. Originally all 4 were non-locking swivels and was a real bear to steer it around until I welded the swivels on one pair. Now it's a breeze to move and steer.

Demoh

Heres what I have because I am always moving these things around. I built a few sets of casters to move all these units around, and I built them good enough so I can run the 1200lbs over a 1inch concrete lip with great speed and not have any issues with longevity. I didnt have enough aluminum so I made them out of steel scrap so they are quite heavy.

Double wide casters because when I deliver a gen sometimes its through a field and I need the surface area. A simple floor jack is how I get them on and off if I dont have lift or forklift where I am delivering them to.

Northern tool for the casters. I buy them while on sale.

Pictures arent great but its what I was able to find.

66.jpg55.jpg44.jpg33.jpg22.jpg11.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks