• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain Rally, Syria VA August 31-September 4, 2017

CGarbee

9[SUP]th[/SUP] Annual Graves Mountain Military Vehicle and Vintage 4x4 Trail Rides!

Labor Day Weekend
August 31-September 4, 2017

At the historic Graves Mountain Lodge in Syria, Virginia.
It's time for me to start the thread for the annual gathering so that everyone can start planning and get time off from work, etc.
We'll basically have the same schedule and activities as in the past, but with a few more trails (five ton friendly) up on the mountain and, hopefully, a few extra guides so that we can run more convoys and trailrides at the same time each day.

I've NOT sent updated info to my webmaster so the website still shows info for last year...
Chuck (BMan) is thinking about the t-shirt design...
The flyer and registration form will be done soon.
Event website (with last year's dates): www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com

Last year's event thread (for those who want to see what the place/event looks like) is located at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...in-MV-Trailrides-and-Rally-September-1-5-2016

Hope to see a bunch of you in the beautiful mountains of Virginia this fall!

Last edited:

CGarbee

So, the list of things that folks have mentioned that I should tweak for this year (copied over from a post in last year's thread so that I will remember them):

White board at the HQ tent for updates to the trail ride schedule and to remind folks of Mike's availability for range duty, etc.
A notice that if Mike is sitting around the campsite, all one must do to go to the range is to ask him.
A notice that if Mike is not sitting around the campsite, all one must do is to check the whiteboard (or Chuck aka BMan) to see if Mike is at the range already...
Turn the street lights off late night or at least a portion of the time to enhance stargazing.
Update the generator policy
Post a sign up reminding folks that everyone must have a buddy when trail riding (NO solo riding on the mountain...).
Provide some maps/printed instructions for folks who want to do some road roads (local roads/orchard roads/fire trails) that don't require a buddy or a trail guide, but do require some knowledge of the routes...
Place a sign/Stake out the location of Sunday night's BONFIRE on Thursday morning so that folks will know where it is and so that we can toss wood on it periodically during the week as we return from trail rides... Remind everyone about it at Supper on Saturday....

Last edited:

Al Harvey

I'm planning on trying to get out there again this year. I really had a GREAT time last year and loved the beautiful setting.

conny

Well, I'm going to try and make it again this year. Last year, my father passed that very weekend and I couldn't make it. If my family stays healthy, I'll be there. Yet again, I still don't have an MV to bring. I'll take my enthusiasm instead.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Well, I'm going to try and make it again this year. Last year, my father passed that very weekend and I couldn't make it. If my family stays healthy, I'll be there. Yet again, I still don't have an MV to bring. I'll take my enthusiasm instead.
I can't remember if you posted that. But I'm very sorry to hear it, and offer you my full condolences. God bless the spirit of your father; may he rest in peace. Requiescat in pace. Amen

I don't have an MV either. But might drop in myself, too!

CGarbee

We did mention at the Sunday's bonfire that you had missed the event for this reason and raised a toast to your Dad...
We are looking forward to seeing you this year, no matter what MV you bring or don't bring...

conny

Last year, I was going to feed the attendees with supplemental meals during the Rally. This year, I'll offer scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes and coffee for breakfast every morning from 6:00 AM--6:45 AM. Coffee will be available "almost" 24/7. I'll also have cup-a-noodles for snacks whenever someone wants until supply runs out. Also, some WISE food packages that I'll give out to anyone who wants to try them. They are actually very tasty with good nutritional value (just add hot water).
No better way to make friends than over a cup of Java.

joshsp

Only an hour from me. I will be adding this to my calendar. Would be awesome to take the 5 ton down some trails. Keep us posted.

Josh

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, HMMWV. Bulldog is Betsy. She will come if weather permits. Might have been a little too warm last year. I've a bigger tent this year to allow more room, and might borrow an awning to put over her X-Pen during the day, if she comes. The big problem will be where to house her at night. That portable sawmill (snoring) isn't sleeping in my tent or anywhere near. Maybe put her in the RV park, or near the all-night-generator types...

BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got it marked on the calendar. Now I need to find the box with the Range supplies and set it aside where I can find it when packing.
Hey Cabell, might could someone give the gun range a bush hog haircut before the Rally this year? Last year's, though I appreciated the opportunity don't get me wrong, was some tough bush to walk through and set up targets at known distances. Lost a fair amount of brass too (I reload my less-common stuff).

Bulldogger

CGarbee

Hey Cabell, might could someone give the gun range a bush hog haircut before the Rally this year? Last year's, though I appreciated the opportunity don't get me wrong, was some tough bush to walk through and set up targets at known distances. Lost a fair amount of brass too (I reload my less-common stuff).

Bulldogger
We will!
I'm not sure what happened last year. I know that we talked about it.
I'll put it on the list... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks