• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain Rally, Syria VA August 31-September 4, 2017

rickf

If all goes well, my wife and I will make it up there this year. We are well aware that our plans have a way of going south in a hurry, but hopefully this year we can break that spell. Looking forward to seeing y'all again! ... and Rick, I just know that made your day!!! :lol:
Don! Been missing you these last few years. Be good to see you and the missus again. I didn't think I was going to make it but as usual, last minute thrashing and we will be coming.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone has a 7.00-16 tube and a military vehicle gas cap, can you bring them? I will pay for them and you will have mu everlasting gratitude.

CGarbee

Just a teaser set of photos from the weekend to show that Adam not only got his tubes, but that he and John made their annual visit to the Graves' shop...
20170901_102024.jpg20170901_092128.jpg20170901_092257.jpg

rickf

That second photo is a classic, Adam looks totally perplexed by the tire machine. Of coarse we all know he has no clue about working inside a building.rofl

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son and I had a blast as expected. The weather was less than perfect a few days, but it sure made for some interesting trail rides. Nearly tore off my idler arm and ball joint, unfortunately. Managed to crank down enough on the castle nuts to get it good enough for asphalt surfaces and the drive home.

It was a lot of fun to have 5 HMMWVs on Saturday evening, though disappointing that we couldn't all go out together by then as I'd damaged my idler arm and ball joints. I heard the Plan B HMMWVs performed well, though they learned about body flexing the hard way. I found out there is a Virginia HMMWV page on Facebook, which I will find a way to connect with despite my non-booked face.
Speaking of the Book of Faces, I hear that my bulldog Betsy is a Facebook star, having been photographed in her tent/pen setup by many people, some of whom made posts about her. Fun fact: she was not in her own little setup because she is spoiled, she had her own tent because she snores so bad!
It was a lot of fun, and I hope next year we can have even more people (i.e. better weather). A big shout out to Cabell, Chuck, Sonny and all the others who made sure it was arranged and executed so well. I very much enjoyed spending time with the kind and helpful people at the Rally.

Bulldogger

Al Harvey

Had a great time this year again. Even with the rain, it was still a great event. We made it home about 11pm last night. Everyone should look at making this event next year!

CGarbee

I hear that my bulldog Betsy is a Facebook star, having been photographed in her tent/pen setup by many people, some of whom made posts about her. Fun fact: she was not in her own little setup because she is spoiled, she had her own tent because she snores so bad!
Bulldogger
You must be talking about this photo... :)

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Syndi and I only had a chance to stop in and attend the rally on Saturday, the one day that was probably on and off drizzling the whole day. Went on a couple trail rides with Kevin and his CJ-8, slipped and slid around on the trails until the crew decided to quit for the day for safety reasons, but still had a great time! The BBQ dinner is always looked forward to by all! Many thanks to everyone who put in a lot of work to make this year's rally another winner!

AMGeneral

That second photo is a classic, Adam looks totally perplexed by the tire machine. Of coarse we all know he has no clue about working inside a building.rofl

Possibly because Adam didn't have his "traveling mechanic" with him?

(Sorry Adam, I could not help myself!):mrgreen:

Once again, I always miss Cabell's rally, but money( or lack thereof) and time never align for me to attend.

Attachments

Last edited:

rickf

I had a stomach bug that kept me down on Friday so I did not get many pictures this year but I did get the requisite dinner pics. I threw in a couple pics I took from my cell phone when I did get out but they did not go up in order, sorry. I don't really know how get that all straight. I want you all to note the guy in the red shirt and apron, most of you know him and for those that don't, Mr Cabell Garbee, the organizer of this fine event. Thanks Cabell for another great event but next year pay the sun bill please.;):D

IMG_1728.jpgIMG_20170831_154513.jpgIMG_1730.jpgIMG_1731.jpgIMG_1733.jpgIMG_1734.jpgIMG_1735.jpgIMG_1736.jpgIMG_1737.jpgIMG_1738.jpgIMG_20170902_154739.jpgIMG_1729.jpgIMG_20170902_154639.jpg

CGarbee

I likely will miss someone, so I apologize for doing so…but here goes:

I just wanted to thank everyone who attended this year, especially since I apparently forgot to order enough sunshine and dry weather to last the weekend…
I especially want to thank Chuck for the t-shirt design and for manning the HQ tent.
Sonny for helping Chuck and for doing a bunch of dishes after Saturday’s supper.
Rad and his son Euan for setting up the buffet on Saturday and assisting with the cleanup.
Mike for running the firing range and for Saturday night’s cobbler.
John for setting off a parachute flare from right behind my chair during Sunday night’s bonfire (I knew that he had them, but forgot about them until he set the first one off….)... ;)

Steve Hendricks and Laura Stone for all the hard work in making this happen from clearing and marking trails, mowing the field, acting as trail guides, running the truck games, and providing prizes.
Thanks also go to all the other RROR members for their assistance to Steve and Laura.

Rick Sultan at Dodge Powerwagon Gear also sent prizes.

And, as always, to the Graves family for hosting the event.

CGarbee

Oh, for those of you who like to plan things in advance....

10[SUP]th[/SUP] Annual Graves Mountain Military Vehicle and Vintage 4x4 Trail Rides!

Labor Day Weekend
August 30-September 3, 2018

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks