• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain Rally, Syria VA August 31-September 4, 2017

steelypip

Some pics I took. Richard took a bunch as well.

Rob demonstrating that sealing the exhaust system tightly before fording is a good idea, particularly on a piston-ported two stroke (it let water in at the joint between expansion chamber and muffler). For the record: the spring-fed Robinson river is indeed very cold on September 3. The Munga proved itself a perfectly capable off road vehicle in the slick and rough conditions on Sunday. Tuning that carburetor took me back to working on snowmobiles when I was a kid.

Munga1.jpg Munga2.jpg Munga3.jpg munga4.jpg

And a couple of the 'cast of thousands' picture I don't usually get to take before dinner:

GravesDinner1.jpg

GravesDinner2.jpg

Last edited:

steelypip

It's got a Kübelwagen-look to it. Is it German?
DKW Munga 4 - built in the late 1950s. Note the Auto Union rings on the hood. Powered by a water cooled three-cylinder 900cc piston-ported two-stroke engine. Rated for more than 40 HP, so it must spin at least 5000 RPM to make rated power. Longitudinal engine and FWD transaxle with spur driveshaft spinning the rear axle a-la Subaru. There's some really clever engineering in that little beast - thermosyphon cooling and a little fan that looks like it belongs on a jet engine (I estimate it spins at 7000+) RPM. Looks obviously heavily influenced by the Kübelwagen for all that it's 4wd, front enigne, and water cooled. The driveline is rather obviously a rip-off of a SAAB 93.

People kept comparing it to a chainsaw, but it really sounded like a Polaris with the 650cc JLO triple from the early '70s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks