• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Onboard air

Barrman

Have you looked into the CO2 tank set ups?

I converted a York compressor to fit on my M715 years ago. Added M35 air tanks under the bed, plumbed lines to both bumpers and loved it for the first few years. Then I had to use it about 8 hours straight recovering my M35 gasser. Running impact guns and airing up tires. The clutch coil went, then the air outlet hose burned through, then the compressor started making weird noises a few months later.

So, when I swapped out the 396 big block gas engine for a 6.2 diesel. I just pulled the entire system and threw a CO2 bottle behind the seat. Much simpler, easier and can be used in all of my vehicles.

Your truck to do with as you like. I am just pointing out an option not already discussed that might work better for you in the long term.

mdes0

I replaced both my diffs with ARB air lockers when they blew. Because of that I installed an on-board air setup using Viair pump and 2.5 tank that mounted in the rear wheel well. The pump was meant to be a portable setup so I had to make sure to add a check valve on the pump. I also found a Stewart Warner air pressure gauge that looks right at home in the dash.
For the diffs I used air toggles rather than swapping out the 12v air solenoids for 24v units.

AirComp.jpgTac and Air Pess Guage.jpgTank.jpg

JoeJrTheBarber

Could you add some pictures please? Motor-driven onboard air from repurposing an AC compressor is a good manual way, but I'm also investigating electric. I wonder where you stashed the 10 gal tank for starters. I am not deeply experienced with air piping and plumbing so am still mentally stepping through how I might do that.
The price of kits varies, but a decent high duty cycle portable electric setup is near $200 (Viair seems to be about the only one). If a few more $$ gets unlimited air and the ability to do more than fill a tire, it might be worth saving up for.
BDGR
I will once I get the install done and finished. The compressor itself is going under the right rear seat, and the tank is going under the hood. I bought the complete air horn kit with the 24volt Viair compressor and tank from Air Horns Of Texas. They are super cool dudes that will build you a custom kit for whatever your needs may be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks