• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

rustystud

There was a thread that was VERY long about the subject. It had been decided that they were for alignment jigs to aid in mass production.

But no concrete evidence to put the question to rest.
Yeah. That's what I'm leaning towards too. Doesn't make sense any other way. Unless of course their there for some "super special secret weapon" !!!!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah. That's what I'm leaning towards too. Doesn't make sense any other way. Unless of course their there for some "super special secret weapon" !!!!
Of course it could just be as simple as a different contract (say, for some other county) specifies the data plate goes there instead.

BadRobot

Just added a custom bumper for hitch step so I don't have to carry a ladder. The hitch step is on order so I put pintle hook as a mark up.

IMG_0342.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power washed and degrease the under belly and landing gear yesterday of the 30 footer. Today one gallon of ospho to what very little rust was on the cross beams. Let that sit a couple of days then I will under coat the beams and the wood. What wood is showing is still great shape and no soft spots. The only bad spots are at rear door opening when the bad doors let water in. The boards that are bad are only three feet long so it should not be a bad job. Good thing the wood is 7/8 oak.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power washed and degrease the under belly and landing gear yesterday of the 30 footer. Today one gallon of ospho to what very little rust was on the cross beams. Let that sit a couple of days then I will under coat the beams and the wood. What wood is showing is still great shape and no soft spots. The only bad spots are at rear door opening when the bad doors let water in. The boards that are bad are only three feet long so it should not be a bad job. Good thing the wood is 7/8 oak.
How are you applying that OSPHO product? Spray? Then do you again pressure wash it off??

I've never used Ospho.

Thanks.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got most of the wood painted today. Went with just an oil based enamel as true under coating from 3M cost was to high for what I was doing. Also talked to Tampa spring and they will sell me a complete new stud pilot hub/drum and that's with inner oil seal, bearings /race's and outer oil cap for about $400.00 per side. I have new 11.00R22.5 tires mounted on stud pilot wheels so this will be the cheapest way to go. Want to get away from the Dayton's wedge style.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got most of the wood painted today. Went with just an oil based enamel as true under coating from 3M cost was to high for what I was doing. Also talked to Tampa spring and they will sell me a complete new stud pilot hub/drum and that's with inner oil seal, bearings /race's and outer oil cap for about $400.00 per side. I have new 11.00R22.5 tires mounted on stud pilot wheels so this will be the cheapest way to go. Want to get away from the Dayton's wedge style.
Lookin' goooood!

Did you use a roller to apply that paint? I think I see roller marks on the steel channels.

dmetalmiki

Made a start on getting the trailer ready to carry the 'Goods'.
Fit the wedges to secure the tow pin under the turntable.
Altering the Push Bar on the M62 to bake for better shoving. (It has a drop pin now, But will have a Rear tow Hitch mounted on the front of the Wrecker Bumper (Makes using the rather short tow bar on the trailer much better for steering when pushing)).
Sorted out a "bucketful" of old side marker lights to re=build and fit.
Adjusted the brakes.
Ordered two old style rear lights. (they are missing).
Getting prepared to re-paint it and place numbers and letters on.
Getting a diesel Engined winch for the deck.
Then got REAL busy, (involved with the wiring on the Packard Staff Car). Next post.

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Well, today after working on the trailer, I braved the non working indicator lights, Intermittent driving lights, and brake light faults on the Packard Staff Car.
Nightmare!.
Positive earth system.
Tracing faulty wires to the turn signals..(nightmare!) So, Cut all the wartime connectors off and replaced them with clean lengthened wires and connections to ordinary screw type terminal strips.
Stripped repaired and re-set the turn signal indicator lever.
'Hot wired' the 6 Volt flasher unit (with a fuse in line) as no trace of power to it could be found anywhere.
Linked in a turn warning light.
Ordered two 'in keeping' pull push switches for the siren and (pre prime) Fuel pump.
Changed the A--- about face wiring in the side turn front lamps.
Replaced the 'miky mouse' Bulb holders in the rear turn, side, and brake lamp housings., to better type (Sure to work!) Holders.
Replaced all the old type fuse holders (with the terrible torpedo style fuses) to modern two pin fuses and holders.
Brakes and master cylinder linages adjusted.
Repaired the clock wiring, It works fine now,
Will post pictures tomorrow in better light.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did I do for my trailer today. I never planed to work on OD stuff at my home. My 20x30 covered slab is 60 miles one way at my other property. I bought these cargo skids and finely got around to getting them placed so I can jack up what ever I need. Dang county wanted permits and land survey plus price of labor and concrete so this will work and cheaper.
Used tiller to get the ground level and lower plus gravely to move the pallets around. Neighbors came and asked me why I was tilling up the ground for a garden right in front of my carport. I said I did not want to walk far to get my food. Glad it is getting cooler here in Fl.

Attachments

shotty

Recovered an M101A2 from a local private seller today. He had quite a few sitting around and let me piece together the wood sides and boughs onto the best looking but bare trailer in the lot. Looking forward to restoring it!

20181009_133117.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovered an M101A2 from a local private seller today. He had quite a few sitting around and let me piece together the wood sides and boughs onto the best looking but bare trailer in the lot. Looking forward to restoring it!
View attachment 744477
Best Military Trailer ever made in my opinion.

Dexter still makes the parts for the axle/brakes.
Croft Trailer still has factory parts for the surge brake assembly.

Your gonna love it!!!!!

Congrats!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks