• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just noticed your hitch tube telescopes out....nice feature and very adaptable to different heights. I'm thinking of a larger version on my M1061 with 5x5x 1/2 and 4x4x 3/8". We make stake pockets on logging trailers with that combination (usually 1/4 wall on the 4x4)...
Hey Toby, will 4” tube fit in standard 5x5x1/2 or do you use a special tube thats made like receiver tube, thats slightly over sized and the weld broached out? Ive been looking for something like this for a few projects.

tobyS

We have some 5x5 x 1/2" that does seem closer to 7/16". The pockets are short so we take out the weld mostly with a grinder and sometimes open it up a little. Sure, a broach would be good too. edit...be careful of the corners. Some can have a long radius and that won't work on the outside tube.

The problem is debris that gets inside and holds moisture makes them difficult to remove (bare metal), rusting together, when they are too close.

I plan to use 7/16 thickness on the 5" (or 6x at 1/2" or so) and some brass or CR wear strips and leave the weld. That works for me as debris has a place to go and they can be longer as a tongue support.

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Made a little progress on the welding trailer (m1101).

Talked to sheet metal shop today. They have supply of 14ga galvanized for the sheet metal 4x10.
These trailers are great! I've pulled mine well over 20,000 miles with the stock tires on it. I bought more just to have as spares. You'll be happy with it years to come, it looks good.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice topper on it.

I would love to find the rare fiberglass topper for the M101A2/3 the
Military was just beginning to issue before the trailers were phased out.
8036C7FA-BB46-4394-A441-E551F573E933.jpg

tobyS

These trailers are great! I've pulled mine well over 20,000 miles with the stock tires on it. I bought more just to have as spares. You'll be happy with it years to come, it looks good.
They have went up so far in price because they are such nice trailers. Your's looks new.... it doesn't begin to show 20K. Nice work SB. It's nice to have a secure and water tight cover. Enjoy!

Taking 4" more from the height at the frame/axle may be in my future, I want it as low as possible with the welder.

Should someone have Goodrich baja HMMWV tires with around 50% really cheap or free or trade, I have a tandem trailer I need some on. I have shorter tire on the front axle to move it (pictured). I put the tan cover on it to store some parts....only blown off once so far ....now tied down better.

Attachments

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice topper on it.

I would love to find the rare fiberglass topper for the M101A2/3 the
Military was just beginning to issue before the trailers were phased out.
View attachment 752341
I bought a 101 from the gov with, what looks like, a shop built steel topper on it. The top fit just inside the standard bow and tarp. It has two doors that swing out and are lockable, but the whole setup is not waterproof without the tarp on. Would make a great camping topper, or lockable tool trailer.

Not as cool as the fiberglass topper, but much better than just a tarp alone. I’m going to list it as I don’t really have a use for it, or I may sell the entire thing, trailer, bows, tarp topper and all. It’s in fantastic shape.

Last edited:

rustystud

They have went up so far in price because they are such nice trailers. Your's looks new.... it doesn't begin to show 20K. Nice work SB. It's nice to have a secure and water tight cover. Enjoy!

Taking 4" more from the height at the frame/axle may be in my future, I want it as low as possible with the welder.

Should someone have Goodrich baja HMMWV tires with around 50% really cheap or free or trade, I have a tandem trailer I need some on. I have shorter tire on the front axle to move it (pictured). I put the tan cover on it to store some parts....only blown off once so far ....now tied down better.
I love that trailer you built ! I've wanted to do that for several years now. Just need to find a spare deuce bed and another M105 trailer.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A member sent me a Craigslist link that had someone selling a M101A? With the fiberglass topper.
Of course it’s way too far away for me,’but price was right for someone local.

I removed the leaves from inside trailer today, while truck driver was delivering a load of Red Diesel.
Haven’t used it in weeks. Been gone a lot.
Winter storm hitting us now, but will hitch her up when weathers better.
Plenty to do with it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have went up so far in price because they are such nice trailers.
And because we thought there would always be an endless supply of them on auction! When they started getting slim, auction prices on 1101 and 101’s went over $1k. I even saw an 1101 that went for almost $3k!

Im glad I got on it when I did.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A member sent me a Craigslist link that had someone selling a M101A? With the fiberglass topper.
Of course it’s way too far away for me,’but price was right for someone local.

I removed the leaves from inside trailer today, while truck driver was delivering a load of Red Diesel.
Haven’t used it in weeks. Been gone a lot.
Winter storm hitting us now, but will hitch her up when weathers better.
Plenty to do with it.
I might know who that is. If it is, I could store the trailer until we could get it to you.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Maybe you can arrange for a 'Relay' of members to transport it for you,....?

Each member tows it as far as they can and meets up with the next member who takes it as far as they can etc,....

Would make an interesting story,.....

Aussie.

rustystud

And because we thought there would always be an endless supply of them on auction! When they started getting slim, auction prices on 1101 and 101’s went over $1k. I even saw an 1101 that went for almost $3k!

Im glad I got on it when I did.
I really kick myself for not buying one or two when I could. Now they are just in the ridiculous price range ! I also should have bought a couple of M105 trailers too. There even asking to much for those.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really kick myself for not buying one or two when I could. Now they are just in the ridiculous price range ! I also should have bought a couple of M105 trailers too. There even asking to much for those.
I think I paid around $900 for the first M1101 I had back in 2012, and later sold it for $2100, so not bad but like you I thought there was an endless supply.

Then we bought the house and I needed a trailer again. I had my eye on a particular trailer with a generator with the idea to pull the gen off and set it next to the house, and then I'd have a trailer. Lost that auction but there were a dozen M1101 and M1102s available, so I bid near the end when all the big spenders had gotten theirs.

I got one for $750 and sold the two wheels for $400, saved almost $300 in delivery charge when I hauled a yard of gravel. Two trips to Ikea about 50 miles away getting furniture for the house.

It doesn't get much use at the moment but it's paid for and not taking up much room.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We used to buy M105 trailers in the $90 to $150 range all the time. Went to a sale at MCLB Albany one time and 75% of the depot overhauled 105s went for the minimum bid of $90. There were several hundred.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The good days are behind us when it comes to auction vehicles and trailers, but now I have enough trailers.

Too many actually!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks