• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea 4X, I was asking about taking that flange off in an earlier post, but to be able to run my M35A3 wheels with dish out. Your idea of doing it for duals makes it so the axle (frame etc) is within the legal limit, not narrowed. Good job cleaning it up, it's a LOT of work. Obviously it's cast iron, not steel. I know it's a lot of work cutting Iron

I took a job changing from a flat belt to a 6V with flat backer on a 200 hp, 6' diameter bandsaw. The outer part was no problem but the cast iron was 4" thick and about 10" wide on the shaft. I couldn't damage the shaft. Normally I use LP for cutting but I rented two of the large acetyline for that. Eight 330 CF bottles of oxygen and about 10 hours later I had it in 2 parts and didn't mark or discolor the shaft. Heat melt blow away, heat melt blow away...

Even with a lathe, torching may be the quickest way to remove the bulk of that flange. I don't think my LP would do it,maybe it would, but acetylene gets hotter.

I asked if anyone knew if a deuce hub would fit, but don't recall anyone responding. Just a guess but outside of tire to outside is about 7'8"??

Good work....I may be doing the flange trick very soon also. Thanks for the detailed photo's.

Edit...just noticed that is a LMTV bed....I have one of those too.
That sounds like a heck of a job! I actually never knew what the bed came off of even though I've had an lmtv. I do know the flange trick will not work on a M105 bed because of fender clearance to the rear as far as a dual setup goes. I'm not sure about the A3 wheels I have made adapters and used fmtv style dish still in. I will measure to find out the outside measurements. Also I used a 6" cutoff wheel on a 4 1/2 grinder to cut the other side. Both worked but I'd recommend the cutoff wheel out of the two.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4X, your shop sounds like a farm I work at sometimes. They have maybe 10 grinders with grinding wheels and cut-off blades and not one of them has a guard. They have several 6" blades on a 4 1/2" grinders (that I'm not particularly fond of). Most have cords that have been repaired 2-4 times. Even with welding gloves, one can get their hand on the edge of the blade rather easy. I used to modify my grinders to have about 45* of guard but with the guards rotating now, don't need to. Sometimes the 4 1/2" cutoff does have a hard time reaching.

I'll put cutting them with the cut-off wheel (which I use a lot) in the plan. Thanks again.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got rid of the set of HMMWV wheels and tires that have been in it for weeks.
Dang tire sets are heavy.

Now I can use trailer again!

drivebymashing

In the process of removing brakes from my 105 trailer. They are huge. I'm thinuking my trailer will be less than 2k when finished. Is 2750 the stock weight?
By the way this is an offroad use only trailer. I cut lights and everything off.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally found a nice metal Jerry can for my M1102 fuel can mount

You're lucky they used bolt to put your holder on. They used those same fasteners like rivets on mine. I wanted it off and ended up torching them. Only one scar on the holder, but I wish it had had bolts.

AOR

The trailer changed hands a few times before it came into my position it may have been modified. I am using this M1102 as a camper for now I set it up with 9-30 LED volt bulbs and it has both the military cord and a 7 wire civilian cord on it since I am using it with both my ram 2500 and my M998
it kept me dry this past weekend

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Just a couple of questions:

1) Dose the M105A2 have a serial number?

There are 2 numbers stamped into the drawbar on mine and I don't know what they are for.

2) Dose it have a build date stamped into it anywhere?

Only date I have on mine is the 'Reworked by VSE Corp 2009'

Thanks.

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Just to add to my post above,.....

My M105A2 has a number stencilled on it on the front, on the frame at the back and on the tailgate.

Not the same as stamped into the drawbar, what might that one be?

Dose'nt look like unit ID.

Aussie.

drivebymashing

20180914_190358.jpg20180914_183943.jpg20180914_183920.jpg
22 inch deck height 18 inch lunette height..measured on gravel might be off a little
Possibly the lowest 105 on stock suspension? Next is c notch the frame to add hydraulics and 100 spoke wheels.....JOKING!!!
total cost $11.57 for trailer
2 isuzu 16 inch wheels with load range e tires $130
$73 new u bolts
$29 1 gallon of 34086 paint
$11 for new lunette nut
Grand total $255 plus 6 hours labor- selling original tires for $25 and 40 in scrap metal.
190 dollars we will see how it handles 5 tons

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had new doors put on my 30 foot 1986 Stoughton. I picked it up close in Starke Fl. from GL and she has Air Force markings. Now she need Paint both box and underbelly. New tires and a little wood work at the threshold and she good to go for another 32 years. Going to store all the OD stuff in one trailer instead of scattered around my home and property.

Attachments

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Well yesterday I stretched my engineering expertise and mechanical knowledge to the extreme limits of the human experience.

PIC_0057.jpg

PIC_0058.jpg

PIC_0059.jpg

Yup,... I fitted rubber grommets to those small holes.

Not sure what thay are there for really. (the holes)

Next job is the square holes along the side.

Aussie.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The square holes are "lightning holes".... You know - Where you stow your Lightning Bolts (they aren't ROUND).

11040930_10152887716817694_4005603341995705479_n.jpg

Uh... Wait a minute.... Surely I'm mistaken. They must be LIGHTENING HOLES - as in, "deleting" unnecessary structural material so as to LIGHTEN the vehicle. But let's face it, boys and girls, those holes are not large enough to substantially reduce the Tare Weight of the Trailer, are they?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Well I think those front ones must be speed holes so I guess that would explain the square holes on the sides,....

The air flowing through the front holes creates static that is stored in the body until the mass can no longer except any more electrons.

The excess is then discharged out through those square vents hence the perception of lightning,....

Hmmmm,....

Aussie.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There was a thread that was VERY long about the subject. It had been decided that they were for alignment jigs to aid in mass production.

But no concrete evidence to put the question to rest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks