• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flipped the lunette on my M101 so it would fit my HMMWV pintle better. Soldier B was a big help too.
Bulldogger
3BB9F46F-BDC0-4B89-9B4A-7DCBB0B09C7E.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
swapped on some 275/70/22.5 Michelin XZU-2s. 18plys rated for 6900lbs each. Will need to paint the wheels. Dropped the rear deck of the trailer by 3 inches. I will probably move the lunette to the upper position to level the trailer out. Right now the front is the same height as the upper part of the wheel wells. Bringing them from originally being 51in down to 48in. The rear deck is 46in and the front deck is 47.5 inches. We will see how she does on a heavy haul later on this week. They do stick out a little on the outside of the trailer but just about even with the outside edge. I might cut some wheel wells into them but doubtful as they have a good bit of travel room.

Also found out some interesting information today about the trailer. The braces that hold the dovetail and joint it and the frame is 46100 steel and is 3/4" thickness. For those of you who know what that is. Yeah. They apparently didn't want the dovetail to fall off. At all.

Attachments

tobyS

swapped on some 275/70/22.5 Michelin XZU-2s. 18plys rated for 6900lbs each. Will need to paint the wheels. Dropped the rear deck of the trailer by 3 inches. I will probably move the lunette to the upper position to level the trailer out. Right now the front is the same height as the upper part of the wheel wells. Bringing them from originally being 51in down to 48in. The rear deck is 46in and the front deck is 47.5 inches. We will see how she does on a heavy haul later on this week. They do stick out a little on the outside of the trailer but just about even with the outside edge. I might cut some wheel wells into them but doubtful as they have a good bit of travel room.

Also found out some interesting information today about the trailer. The braces that hold the dovetail and joint it and the frame is 46100 steel and is 3/4" thickness. For those of you who know what that is. Yeah. They apparently didn't want the dovetail to fall off. At all.
Cool Wes. Let us know if you notice handling differences.

It looks like the tire could get into the outer frame but the hump can surely be removed. I was looking at mine at how to cut the diamond plate so it could be lowered down the 3" to flush, but to re-weld the part cut out further down in, flush on top. I see now the wheel well would have to extend to the outer rail.

Another mod I was considering is 2x4 stake pockets and a 3/8"x 4" flat bar on the outside. That just fits under the legal limit.

My list goes on.... which is why I'm going to sell it before putting time and $$ into it that I don't have.

rustystud

Was this trailer rated to haul "APC's" or something along those lines ? Considering how they built it, it sure sounds like it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The military had a 10ton capacity on the data plate. The marine corps used it to haul their cat 420 backhoe. The manufacturer rates the trailer at a 25ton capacity for offroad use and 30tons on-road. Alot of the m322s were deployed to Afghanistan so there is no telling what all they put on them.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
swapped on some 275/70/22.5 Michelin XZU-2s. 18plys rated for 6900lbs each...
What where the singles rated at, and did you need to swap out to longer studs?

The military had a 10ton capacity on the data plate. The marine corps used it to haul their cat 420 backhoe. The manufacturer rates the trailer at a 25ton capacity for offroad use and 30tons on-road. Alot of the m322s were deployed to Afghanistan so there is no telling what all they put on them.
Hmm... I’ve been looking for around a 25ton drag to move my loader short distances around the farm. Do you know where I can find any of the manufacturers info?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Super singles can be rated for 9900lbs for 385/65/22.5. Or 11400 for the 425/65/22.5s, or I've seen 15,600lb 445/65/22.5. I believe the 365/80/20s with combat wheels are rated at 12400lbs.

I used the same studs as pilot hub studs are very long. I contemplated putting on Michelin XZY 3s in 315 80 22.5s rated for 9900lbs each but I wanted to bring the trailer down some.

The MTO20 trailer is rated for less weight than all 3 trailer variants. The globe is rated for 25ton maximum and the load king is rated for the heaviest capacity.

Globe has a brand new one at their Florida facility for 13k. It was a surplus build.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What where the singles rated at, and did you need to swap out to longer studs?

Hmm... I’ve been looking for around a 25ton drag to move my loader short distances around the farm. Do you know where I can find any of the manufacturers info?
Toby has one in north indy for sale. I have an m105 for him. Maybe we could all meet up one weekend to complete the deal.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Toby has one in north indy for sale. I have an m105 for him. Maybe we could all meet up one weekend to complete the deal.
Hey, I’ll buy the 105 and deliver it to him for an even trade on his m322!

Just kidding Toby... the m322 is just a little out of my budget right now. I am looking for something smaller/cheaper right now to haul my truck camper to Haspin. I’ll start a new thread for opinions on what I need.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

The other day I Swapped the bolt around to clear the light.

PIC_0009.jpg PIC_0010.jpg PIC_0011.jpg PIC_0012.jpg PIC_0013.jpg

Yeah, I did the other side.

Then I got out my Hi-lift jack to hold the front of the M105 up so I could raise the landing gear and lubricate it as needed.

PIC_0014.jpg PIC_0015.jpg

Yeah, it looks a little dry in there,....

PIC_0016.jpg PIC_0018.jpg

So I gave it a squirt with some oil,...

PIC_0019.jpg PIC_0020.jpg

While I was there I decided to protect as best I can the new plug from the rain to protect from corrosion.

PIC_0021.jpg PIC_0022.jpg

Later today I'll get the Deuce out and for the first time will be able to see if the lights work.

Aussie.

tobyS

Aussie, put some grease where the two pins on the jack fit into the holes and the place they slide to lock down or up. I like that jack but when it's dry (or bent), it can be hard to work.

I've started lubing all of the screws on these light housings also, but you probably don't have the wet environment so much that makes those lens screws rust in place. I fought with a set for a couple hours and finally pulled one of the screw (nuts) out of the housing. Luckily it didn't break the housing or lens, I guess. Now I lube them all, including the back screws real well.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Aussie, put some grease where the two pins on the jack fit into the holes and the place they slide to lock down or up. I like that jack but when it's dry (or bent), it can be hard to work.

I've started lubing all of the screws on these light housings also, but you probably don't have the wet environment so much that makes those lens screws rust in place. I fought with a set for a couple hours and finally pulled one of the screw (nuts) out of the housing. Luckily it didn't break the housing or lens, I guess. Now I lube them all, including the back screws real well.

Yeah I tend to do that as well,....

I'll put a little drop of light oil on screws and nuts and bolts to stop corrosion, you can still tighten them without them coming undone and it dose make it easier for next time.

I just used a little oil on the landing gear pins for now, the gear runs smooth and isn't binding but I will do it with grease again, I've done all the grease points and ran the landing gear through its full length of travel.

I guess the next job will be to remove the wheels themselves and lube the stub axles,...

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Well I am back with my Deuce, going to do its service this weekend.

But, this being the first time they have met I backed the Deuce up so I can plug in the trailer cable to see if the lights work.

Well YIPPEEEE!!!!! They work great!

Even the blackout lights work!

Well I guess I didn't screw anything up when I installed the new connection cable.

sigh,... one less thing to worry about,.....

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

Sorry for the blur but I think the heat from my hands caused the lens to fog up.

The Trailer blackout lights.

PIC_0023.jpg

Deuce blackout lights.

PIC_0024.jpg

Trailer rear lights.

PIC_0027.jpg

Deuce rear lights.

PIC_0026.jpg

And front park lights.

PIC_0025.jpg

Aussie.

lindsey97

G'day everyone,.....

Well I am back with my Deuce, going to do its service this weekend.

But, this being the first time they have met I backed the Deuce up so I can plug in the trailer cable to see if the lights work.

Well YIPPEEEE!!!!! They work great!

Even the blackout lights work!

Well I guess I didn't screw anything up when I installed the new connection cable.

sigh,... one less thing to worry about,.....

Aussie.
I always get excited when I go to pick up a M105 and the lights work with no repairs on my part. Bought 3 and had to replace the pigtail on one of them, but have had good luck so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks