• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's good to have a partner. I'm not so lucky on the green iron part. Just to hedge, I gave the wife a 20 and said "thanks".

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the Dayton wedge style hubs /wheels for new stud pilot with all new hardware. Was cheaper to change out the hubs than to buy new tires seeing as how I have plenty of new 11R22.5 on stud pilot steel wheels. With the new set up I don't have to pull the hub to change out the brakes if needed just the drum comes off. Got lucky on this trailer as it came with S cam air brakes and the weather is cooling off in Fl.

Attachments

Last edited:

shotty

Got my m101a2 Vin verified �� trailer brakes started jerking when coming to a stop so I iess it's time for a new, o erpriced shock absorber for the surge brake.

Gunzy

Sold my 2 M105A2s and an M101/116A3. Didn't have a use for the M105s anymore as they are tough if not impossible to back up with a HEMTT and had an extra M101/116A3. Now all I have is my M1082 for the HEMTT and an M101/116A3 for my F150.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my m101a2 Vin verified �� trailer brakes started jerking when coming to a stop so I iess it's time for a new, o erpriced shock absorber for the surge brake.
Croft Trailer has the best price on that shock and outstanding customer service.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the last of OD stuff out of my house and into the trailer plus the house seems so much bigger. Also finished up the oil floating hub swap with newer wheels and tires.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Christmas came early this Thanksgiving. I had go to the dump today and found three jugs of used vegetable oil. I do it every year going to the dump looking for vegetable oil after Thanksgiving. I treat the trailer deck with it and got lucky as there was plenty sooner than I thought. Problem is driving around with the trailer I get a craving for fried chicken. Also the wood loves it as a tree use to be a vegetable for Dinosaurs so vegetable and tree same thing right.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use new Transmission fluid to treat my trailers wood.
Last a very long time (years) before needing additional treatment.

No it does not make wood slick.
Plus the red tint makes it look great.

rustystud

Christmas came early this Thanksgiving. I had go to the dump today and found three jugs of used vegetable oil. I do it every year going to the dump looking for vegetable oil after Thanksgiving. I treat the trailer deck with it and got lucky as there was plenty sooner than I thought. Problem is driving around with the trailer I get a craving for fried chicken. Also the wood loves it as a tree use to be a vegetable for Dinosaurs so vegetable and tree same thing right.
Your reasoning makes sense to me. But is that a good thing ! :shock:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use new Transmission fluid to treat my trailers wood.
Last a very long time (years) before needing additional treatment.
No it does not make wood slick.
Plus the red tint makes it look great.
Veg soake in after a couple of days in the sun and not slick. I take used motor / transmission to the recycle tank at the dump.

Your reasoning makes sense to me. But is that a good thing ! :shock:
At my age I don't even need a reason to do any stupid. I am a Tri sexual I will try anything once.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use new trans oil, not used.

Nice sunny and hot summer day for application.
New wood soaks it up like a sponge.

C7FB199F-9820-4CAA-9D98-38C744BE2460.jpg5CF0F404-1D1C-47CE-81A7-3149EFCB8994.jpg

Old Chevy bed trailer we found on our property.
It was upside down in a small ravine and trees growing through the rotted bed.
Installed new flooring, wiring, lights, tires etc.
Left paint as is and just clear coated it.
Tows great and I think it looks cool.

Trans oil treated wood is still waterproof after 4 years.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CDA3DC9B-8AAA-4862-8735-CF7CA1B3149A.jpg

Installed new rubber on my tan M101A2.
Identical to the ones on my M1008A1
Cooper all-terrain
Stock size
Load Range E

Trailer definitely rides smoother with the new rubber.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finishing up the last of the repairs. The wood at the thresh hold after 10 years of leaking and some minor rot to start with I am replacing the 1 1/8" x 12" oak double lipped flooring. Only doing one side at a time of the middle steel runner. Forty six foot oak piece to do both sides I had to order is being shipped now. When it gets here cut it down to four foot three inch long pieces and lay it in piece by piece. The manufacture built it so the thresh so that it was easer to replace with short boards. The rest of the planks are twenty six foot long and one piece. You don't want to know what 46 feet of this board cost.

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Making the M1101 that I cut for the S788 shelter into a weld trailer. I am lengthening the tongue 16" and made it 3.5" lower. There will be another 1/2" plate across the top of the tongue piece to weld a better jack, one with extendable foot but no wheel.

I'm deciding what to do on a steel top.

Edit...in case anyone thinks an exactly 3" tube is the same width as the tongue and 2 plates on the 1101-2....it's not. If I don't put a 1/16" spacer between the new tube and the welded on plate, it will draw up when welded and not go on the tongue tube with side plates. Similarly, the surge brake unit must have 1/16" steel plate shim. I need a more accurate measuring eye when I start this stuff.
tobyS - Is that a military version of an "easybrake" mechanical brake activator I spy?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks