• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

tobyS

I'm using an M105A2 bed on the back of my M35A3 4x4 and have two different dimensions for the center of the wheel well to the back of the bed (not including gate). I have 53" in one place and 50" in another. I have not picked up the 105 yet to go measure it myself.

Can someone please confirm the measurement from the bed rear to the center of the wheel well? I'm about to mount the springs to the frame (working from the back of the trailer and truck frame) and want the axle centered on the 105 wheel well.

Edit....I found the thread where the measured distance is 50".

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5F1B5EF0-D979-40D6-A561-6334AC1977E2.jpg

Tan M101A2

Used my steel stamp kit and hammered the Trailer Military ID and serial number into the tongue frame.
Data plates can be easily removed and/or swapped if trailer stolen.
Pic just shows a portion of what was stamped.

The steel the Military used is very high quality steel.
It was a LOT more difficult to imprint than any civilian trailer I’ve done.
Edit: Several hits from a 4 pound hammer didn’t imprint very deep on this steel.
Civilian trailers imprint fairly deep.

I know it needs painted.
Scheduled for early summer

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 762089

Tan M101A2

Used my steel stamp kit and hammered the Trailer Military ID and serial number into the tongue frame.
Data plates can be easily removed and/or swapped if trailer stolen.
Pic just shows a portion of what was stamped.

The steel the Military used is very high quality steel.
It was a LOT more difficult to imprint than any civilian trailer I’ve done.

Edit: Several hits from a 4 pound hammer didn’t imprint very deep on this steel.
Civilian trailers imprint fairly deep.

I know it needs painted.
Scheduled for early summer

Yeah - It's that GREEN IRON we're all addicted to. It's also tough on drill bits.

tobyS

WOW!

I see a structural failure in 3 - 2 - 1........

It better not or I'll have an axle that won't stay where it should. At that place the steel is 1/2" thick (two thicknesses of 1/4"). The frame is 11" deep right there. As I drilled out of the hole the bits catch, so easily broken. Going through one plate into the other, one can tell the difference in steel hardness but the corner made it especially difficult.

Here is the other side.

If you are serious about a failure, where do you think that would fail?

Attachments

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Started taking apart a couple trailers today. One is an m101a1 with a very nice newer style cargo box and the other an m116a2 with the heavier duty frame. The cargo box is going on the a2 frame of course, should end up being a pretty decent m101a2.
IMG_3132.jpgIMG_3130.jpgIMG_3131.jpgIMG_3133.jpgIMG_3134.jpg

j10jim

worked on making the fiberglass box fit properly. Picked it up on Craigslist cheap, had to modify a couple of the stiffeners in the bed, and moved the tail lights up. Now to work on the inside and build some kind of steps for getting in and out. Ideas for that? Thanks

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I like it. I'll need to lift the box back off sometime to clean up and paint the frame, maybe I'll swap the landing leg out for the crank up version too.
IMG_3136.jpgIMG_3137.jpgIMG_3138.jpgIMG_3139.jpgIMG_3140.jpg

bigbe5678

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks