• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

gottaluvit

Replaced both LED tailights on the M1082 while at Findlay. The others both worked part-time, none, or half lit, or very dim; whatever they felt like doing at any given moment. Now they work properly, so it was in fact internal and not a ground issue.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got to test fit the new wheels. Ignore the overspray on the tires, those are getting replaced. The stock lugnuts fit but the socket is tight in the hole, so I would like to get some proper ones if anyone knows the thread pitch.

Please take a look at the second two pictures and tell me what that thing is. I feel like I should know, but I'm stumped. It doesn't appear to be doing anything there.

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Laying out design plans to turn it into a welding/shop/tool trailer.

View attachment 663939 View attachment 663940
The two main things on mine (I use a Ford ranger rear clip) are the portable welder and cutting torch. I would start with them in the middle. I lay the oxy bottle down next to the welder to keep the CG low. I use LP too, a 20# tank, which when cutting goes through about 1 LP for 3 bottles of oxygen. Of course the LP has to stand up, as does any other fuel gas. Hoses and weld leads are laid so if I need more length out, a slight tug will pull it out without catching.

What else are you putting on it...air, a vice, a roof, etc?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced both LED tailights on the M1082 while at Findlay. The others both worked part-time, none, or half lit, or very dim; whatever they felt like doing at any given moment. Now they work properly, so it was in fact internal and not a ground issue.
Good to hear changing the lights worked Jim. You got a good deal on them.

The door looks great...thanks. I was especially glad to see new hinges (both parts) as I rode home thinking about having to use my old ones. The box kept the water out but was saturated by the time I got unpacked. About 50 miles from home I got a call from my dad to take him to the hospital, so it sat out in the rain for the night. All worked out well.

red

The two main things on mine (I use a Ford ranger rear clip) are the portable welder and cutting torch. I would start with them in the middle. I lay the oxy bottle down next to the welder to keep the CG low. I use LP too, a 20# tank, which when cutting goes through about 1 LP for 3 bottles of oxygen. Of course the LP has to stand up, as does any other fuel gas. Hoses and weld leads are laid so if I need more length out, a slight tug will pull it out without catching.

What else are you putting on it...air, a vice, a roof, etc?
The list of tools/equipment:
Diesel powered welder (Miller Big 40)
Air compressor
Press
Vice (one from the m816)
Oxy acetalyne torch (I have the small bottles)
Hand/air/electric/hydraulic tools
Possibly a mep 002a generator. Have it but thinking of selling it.

General layout that I'm thinking is tool boxes along the left side as deep as the fender and about 2 1/2 feet tall. Welder in the front/middle with the controls at the front. Air compressor in the middle. Torch bottles behind the compressor, in the area of the right side fender. Press on the right side in front of the fender. Storage box for the welding/torch equipment on the right fender. Vice in the back right corner.

A awning of some type would be nice and maybe a small crane like an engine hoist.

therooster2001

Please take a look at the second two pictures and tell me what that thing is. I feel like I should know, but I'm stumped. It doesn't appear to be doing anything there.
Yeah, I noticed those on my trailer too, it doesn't seem like it does much either, but I wanted to know what that was too. I can rotate mine 90 degrees flush. Anyone?

therooster2001

With help from my long distance southern brother Jon, I got the AC charged and verified my heat and AC works. it's awesome. Fabricated some new battery tie downs. Replaced the buss fuses that had been cut out. Also fixed a marker bracket on the back. These trailers are so easy to work on, but of course different tools and fasteners. Replaced the plexiglass with a new one, the old one was awful. Only picts of the plexi.

IMG_2582.jpg

gottaluvit

Good to hear changing the lights worked Jim. You got a good deal on them.

The door looks great...thanks. I was especially glad to see new hinges (both parts) as I rode home thinking about having to use my old ones. The box kept the water out but was saturated by the time I got unpacked. About 50 miles from home I got a call from my dad to take him to the hospital, so it sat out in the rain for the night. All worked out well.
I hope your dad is alright! That IS priority.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. I don't think I understand how this jack spacer works. It doesn't look load bearing like I see elsewhere online. Does the trailer come with a specialized jack? Sorry to be thick here, but I don't see how it works yet.

View attachment 681459
Looking at the numbered drawing it appears you take part #12 off the frame rail and set it on top of the jack such that the concave nub cradles the shock-absorber eye. Of course you can also jack up one side of the trailer by running the tongue jack down, installing a landing leg on that side, and then cranking the tongue jack back up. Probably not a good idea with a loaded trailer though.

Now, where do I get one of those jacks?

Last edited:

therooster2001

Well, there it is. Nice. I see the original scissor jack with the square top fits into it. I also see that the newer style with just the insert might also work. See some out on the Bay. I scored the old style, and will report back with picts. The trailer did not come with a standard (or non standard) jack.

therooster2001

Well, there it is. Nice. I see the original scissor jack with the square top fits into it. I also see that the newer style with just the insert might also work. See some out on the Bay. I scored the old style, and will report back with picts. The trailer did not come with a standard (or non standard) jack.
Got the jack (wow that was fast), and will be up there maybe today / tomorrow for action picts. I didn't put in the handle picts, but have it, its the articulating one.
Here's what mine looks like:
Top - This is what the spacer looks to go over.
s-l1600-10.jpg

Sides:
s-l1600-8.jpgs-l1600-9.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rig looks tremendous, real fine!

Are you going to fit out that trailer as a rolling "hacienda"?
Already rolling tool box with military parts. Has double bed, TV, AC, play station 2 what else does a man need for a man cave. Might add refrigerator but ice chest works fine for the weekend. Don't need shower or piss pot as I don't want to carry water or waist water.
Total upgrade for oil floating air brake axle / sub frame and 5 wheels & tires was $5143.00

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks