• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Csm Davis

Had Tampa spring in Ocala add sub frame and air axle to her. Looks much better level and running 11x24.5 tires. Best upgrade to the trailer I believe.
Almost looks as good as the m971 you just need the air ride kingpin, believe me it makes a huge difference in the ride of the truck and the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

therooster2001

Got the VIN inspected, and fixed a forklift love tap (and they jacked up my brake line too....). They cut a wire leaving half my LED dead. Spliced it back together, and done.

IMG_2627.jpg

gottaluvit

Got it home and removed the black rattle prevention tape. Ordered new drain valve well nut (since they hammer the drain valves off). Gave her a test fire just to hear it in person. Also, went with the gimp trailer security system.

20170604_072518.jpg

1496667946036-1796312831.jpg

Another Ahab

Got the VIN inspected, and fixed a forklift love tap (and they jacked up my brake line too....). They cut a wire leaving half my LED dead. Spliced it back together, and done.
How did you handle the splice;

- with crimp-on fittings

- or just typical wire-splice at each wire ("lineman" twist) and electricians tape

- Something else?

therooster2001

Since it was an even cut, a crimp connector was all that was needed. It is waterproof, but I am going to wrap it anyway. Will NOT be fording with that one..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the wheels off so I can get the tires put on the wheels, so it'll sit in my driveway for a couple days on its landing gear. The license plate was zip-tied to the tarp tie-down and that wasn't going to do, so I moved it underneath near a possible power source, in case the cops want a license plate light.

I drilled two holes in the aluminum frame and tapped them for aircraft screws I had laying around. Each screw got a little anti-seize, lock washer and lock-wire.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the reason I used lock wire and anti-seize is that the screws are titanium or something, and they're threaded into aluminum. The lock washers are just redundant.

I wish I knew how to mark and drill holes so that the two parts would go together at the end. I fail 100% of the time, and need to hog out the holes to make everything align. :doh:

Another Ahab

Well the reason I used lock wire and anti-seize is that the screws are titanium or something, and they're threaded into aluminum. The lock washers are just redundant.
The only guy I ever knew who was always using tie wire on his fasteners (not everywhere, but a lot) happened to be a pilot (civil aviation). Old habits die hard I guess.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a cheap failsafe.

I have seen safety wire fail and it wasn't copper.

Learned doing it by watching the mechanics.
Its an art, especially on the more complex items.

In fact, I am doing Axle boots this week and I get to use my new safety wire pliers.

jhama78

The M101 spent most of last week in the garage so I could take care of a few things. Fixed the wiring from the previous owner 'trying' to put a 7 prong trailer plug on it, oiled up the hinges, checked tire pressure, and greased the leaf spring pivots.

Found a FoMoCo Budd socket in a pile of garbage at work:
budd wrench 1.jpgbudd wrench 2.jpg

Borrowed a torque multiplier from work and broke the lug nuts loose, antiseized them and reinstalled at a torque that I can break loose with a breaker bar and a pipe. Of course my minion wanted to try it out... he's my little garage helper:
mini me TM.jpgTM1.jpg

Managed to get the spare tire rack bolt out and took it to work to chase the threads so it will screw all the way into the bracket:

Spare Tire bolt.jpg

Finally the kiddos wanted to ride around the yard/farm so I hooked it to my beater toyota and took a slow lap around... I have since been told by said offspring that I can NEVER sell the new trailer.... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

M101 boys.jpg

Next on the list will be to check/re-pack the wheel bearings and find a spare wheel/tire.

-j-rod

Mos68x

The only guy I ever knew who was always using tie wire on his fasteners (not everywhere, but a lot) happened to be a pilot (civil aviation). Old habits die hard I guess.
I still use it when I can, I have a roll of .032 around this place somewhere I think.

It's a cheap failsafe.

I have seen safety wire fail and it wasn't copper.

Learned doing it by watching the mechanics.
Its an art, especially on the more complex items.

In fact, I am doing Axle boots this week and I get to use my new safety wire pliers.
It's meant to hold the bolt/screw in place, but when it fails something else usually has an epic fail with it. Why do you need pliers?? I used them once in my entire career and couldn't stand them. I'd rather do it the "old-fashioned" way, but then I was taught that way from the start when I worked on the AH-64's. An art...that is true specially when you've got 12 bolts on one face to do.

One thing I really wish I could find is some torque stripe, been a few places on the truck that I really want to use it.

Mos68x

I could use a paint marker yes, but then I'd have to keep acetone around too so I could clean it off.......

hmmm....

midway through writing that last statement I think I figured out something that would work, all because of the acetone. I could use some girls fingernail polish in the green that torque stripe was. I think that it will still chip off like torque stripe, and also break and chip if the torque on the bolt or nut loosens. Guess I'll have to buy a bottle to see if it'll work lol gotta say I really wish I had a gf then I could say the bottle was for her lol

Another Ahab

midway through writing that last statement I think I figured out something that would work, all because of the acetone. I could use some girls fingernail polish in the green that torque stripe was. I think that it will still chip off like torque stripe, and also break and chip if the torque on the bolt or nut loosens. Guess I'll have to buy a bottle to see if it'll work lol gotta say I really wish I had a gf then I could say the bottle was for her lol
The early part of my career was in an architectural firm and all the draftsmen (yeah, "old school") would mark our triangles, scales, mechanical pencils, and anything else suited (those tools weren't all cheap) with our initials in nail polish. Then we covered the ID with a nail polish clear coat.

It worked like a charm!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks